The Student Room Group

Southampton BM5 2015 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Just got an interview for 2nd of February also!
My ukcat was 667.5 so for people worried about not being in the 700's (like others on here) don't worry yet!!
Good luck everyone 😋
Original post by CLMartin
Just got an interview for 2nd of February also!
My ukcat was 667.5 so for people worried about not being in the 700's (like others on here) don't worry yet!!
Good luck everyone 😋

What are you other stats? And for the other people who have got interviews, are any of you graduates?
Original post by candyloveee
What are you other stats? And for the other people who have got interviews, are any of you graduates?

I got AAAB at AS but did EPQ which I thankfully got an A in!
Can't remember if Southampton look at GCSE's but 9A*'s, 2A's.

After emailing them to confirm I got an automatic reply which included all the dates for selection days. The only one i saw for graduates was 24th of Feb, but they might add more dates for graduates and school leavers if they find they still have spaces to fill :smile: I'm a school leaver though
Original post by rachel479
Hi, I just read somewhere that last year Southampton interviewed all applicants for medicine? Is this true? Surely there were some not invited to interview? I'm quite confused. Thanks x

They don't interview everyone who applies, but to get an offer, you have to be interviewed, so all applicants that get an offer were interviewed. Does that make sense?

I've moved this to the Southampton thread :smile:
Original post by Neostigmine
They don't interview everyone who applies, but to get an offer, you have to be interviewed, so all applicants that get an offer were interviewed. Does that make sense?

I've moved this to the Southampton thread :smile:

Are grads applying to BM5 ranked only alongside grads? Or with school leavers and gaps too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

they havent sent out graduate interviews for BM5 yet
Original post by LittleDonkey
Are grads applying to BM5 ranked only alongside grads? Or with school leavers and gaps too?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought grads ere considered separately, although I would have expected statistics on UKCAT from last year which makes me wonder. I know there are only 15 places for grads applying to BM5 which suggests it is separate.

I'll double check :smile:
I'm really worried...I'm a mature non-grad and the selection day for us is next week and I haven't heard anything (obviously won't now as it's 4 days away!). Do you guys think they stick to the categories? Is it worth being a tiny bit hopeful that I might get interviewed on another day?
My UKCAT is 680 and I meet all the academic requirements. I have left a degree in the past (due to ill health and I explained it briefly in my PS). When I emailed them a few months back they said it wouldn't be a problem.
Original post by gracee89
I'm really worried...I'm a mature non-grad and the selection day for us is next week and I haven't heard anything (obviously won't now as it's 4 days away!). Do you guys think they stick to the categories? Is it worth being a tiny bit hopeful that I might get interviewed on another day?
My UKCAT is 680 and I meet all the academic requirements. I have left a degree in the past (due to ill health and I explained it briefly in my PS). When I emailed them a few months back they said it wouldn't be a problem.

Last year they did add on extra dates but that is not a definite this year :no:. The categories will be stuck to because of the group task where they need to compare similar students :sadnod:.
Last year they did add on extra dates but that is not a definite this year :no:. The categories will be stuck to because of the group task where they need to compare similar students :sadnod:.

I thought that was probably the case :frown: might email them next week to double check but I'm not hopeful.
What are my chances of being called for an interview? My predicted grades are AAB (the B being in Chem).
Everything else about my application is decent I would say (9A*s 2A at GCSE, 665 UKCAT, decent PS, work exp etc).

Do you know of anyone in previous years (or for this application cycle) who has been invited for interview with AAB predictions?
Original post by penandpaper2014
What are my chances of being called for an interview? My predicted grades are AAB (the B being in Chem).
Everything else about my application is decent I would say (9A*s 2A at GCSE, 665 UKCAT, decent PS, work exp etc).

Do you know of anyone in previous years (or for this application cycle) who has been invited for interview with AAB predictions?

No. You need to be predicted AAA and an A at AS or EPQ to be considered :sadnod:..
No. You need to be predicted AAA and an A at AS or EPQ to be considered :sadnod:..

Thanks for the quick reply but if that was the case why is it that I have not been rejected yet then? Don't they have a system which just immediately filters out strict AAA candidates so they only have to offer interviews from that cohort of applicants?
Thanks for the quick reply but if that was the case why is it that I have not been rejected yet then? Don't they have a system which just immediately filters out strict AAA candidates so they only have to offer interviews from that cohort of applicants?

Most universities only send out rejections after all interview offers have been sent and all interviews have been attended. So they still have people that they can send offers to if some interviewees don't turn up/perform terribly etc. The rejection I got this year came about 2 months after I was sure I wouldn't be getting an interview.
Original post by Rauraidh
Most universities only send out rejections after all interview offers have been sent and all interviews have been attended. So they still have people that they can send offers to if some interviewees don't turn up/perform terribly etc. The rejection I got this year came about 2 months after I was sure I wouldn't be getting an interview.

Gutted.., if that was the case, I wish they just rejected me at the start then instead of giving me false hope.
interview on 2nd February!!:biggrin: ukcat 690 :smile: good luck to everyone :biggrin: :biggrin:

As Rauraidh said they don't reject until the end. They do have that system, they just don't tell people the result of it until late in the year :sadnod:.

Gutted.., if that was the case, I wish they just rejected me at the start then instead of giving me false hope.

There is lots of information out there on unis that accept lower predictions than they ask for. With medicine is all half luck and half applying really really carefully :sadnod:.
Any idea what cut off for grads will be like? 672 UKCAT, predicted 1st...
Original post by Grad1202
Any idea what cut off for grads will be like? 672 UKCAT, predicted 1st...

From their page this is the information from last year :

As guidance, below are the approximate lowest scores for those who were invited to a selection day.
BM4 3000
BM5 School Leavers/Graduates/Overseas 2800
BM5 Mature Non-Graduates 2500

Averages have dropped by about 200 points overall this year. So if you are a graduate applying to BM4 then 2800 (700) would seem to give you a shot. For BM5 then 2600 (650) would put you just on the edge. So 672 should give you a fighting chance, the cutoff is likely to be around 650-660.

As per the website though:

Tuesday 24 February 2015 BM5/A100 Graduate applicants

And its looking like 14-16 days before you get your interview offer. I wouldn't expect to hear from them till the 10th or so of February.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending