The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Gauntlets28
There are many, many people getting bullied for whatever reason, but why single them out? Why not have separate schools for blacks, gingers, mixed race, geeks, etc, would be the logic of the public at large. All it would really do would be to create a separateness and an us-and-them mentality.

This. A thousand times this.
Please let them
I don't think this is a good idea to segragate them.
In the real world people have to deal with homophobia/sexism/racism...and I think separating them in a 'paradise' place is not a correct representation of how things will be.
Bullying and being teased is part of growing up and it would be disaterous if they come out of these schools not able to handle the possible prejudice that may come along afterwards.
Also, how can they know if they truely are lgbt at a young age???

We don't seperate people of different ethnicities in different schools for 'protection' so why only lgbt?
Society is a lot more respectful of these types of people, so I think a separate school will make them stand out even more than ever and feel alienated.

Not a good idea at all.
Bullying is a problem for many students, not just LGBT ones. Segregating a subset of potential victims is not a solution to the problem.

This idea is beyond stupid.
I think this is a stupid idea. LGBT are humans just like us and I think they should be able to integrate with everyone else. This is just discrimination
this will just make things worse in the long run, and cause gay people to turn into a "disabled" characteristic
Original post by AspiringMedic8
So having your trousers torn down in front of your full PE class because you're gay is a normal part of growing up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps my experience is atypical (I went to an all boys secondary school; it was a very good one, but nevertheless all boys) but that sounds pretty tame. I had worse than that done to me; by far, and i wasn't even one of the worst. This one fat kid used to get his clothes dunked in the toilets after PE and he would have to continue the rest of the day wearing wet clothes that had been in piss. Another kid, he was skinny, got tied up with ties and put in the cubourd during lessons and then get told off by the teacher for skipping class. That was just standard banter.
This is a stupid idea. It's not solving the problem, it's just hiding it.

When LGBT kids come to the real world, uni etc they'll have to integrate with everyone else.
As far as I'm concerned, taxpayers money should not be used to build LGBT schools.

What's next? Schools just for black people? Or Jews?
"specially suited for LGBT"

Will the chairs in the boy's classrooms have extra special lumps? :wink:
The way I'm reading it, it isn't actually an LGBT school, its a school for people who have various non behavioural problems which makes intergrating into and learning at mainstream schools difficult. Its not deliberately segregating anyone, as from what I understand, its there for those whom normal school doesn't work for, its offering them the chance to have the education they deserve and their needs understood. Plenty of people move schools due to bullying, for whatever reason, I imagine having somewhere to go where that isn't going to be an issue, especially if the bullying has affected your education, as it will mean its probably a better place to catch up.

I also don't think it will necessarily detract from schools dealing with the issue of homophobia either, a school like this is unlikely to be a place you initially choose to go to. Most kids do want to fit in with the rest of their peers, its also probably not going to have loads of places available, so its really in the schools interest to deal with the main issue of bullying before getting to this stage. But for some people, even if bullying has been dealt with, a fresh start is whats needed.

Its also great that a place for young carers, people with mental health issues and young parents, though I think there should be equal focus, rather than the school being designed for LGBT youth. Thats really my main bug bear with this.
Yes, further segregation will really make LGBT+ students feel "normal" and "just like everyone else". :rolleyes:
Yeah...I've got to admit a friend told me about this and I thought it was a stupid idea, but reading the full quote makes me think it COULD be beneficial.

However,

If this was a school for black people with the reasoning 'There's racism in schools, so we're making a school for black people. But white people can come too' then I think the matter would be taken a lot more sincerely...
There wasn't a lot of homophobia in my school, other than when we call something gay to mean 'dumb' or 'stupid' (completely unrelated to homosexuality) and this one guy constantly calling people 'pooftas' at, as far as I know, completely random intervals - perhaps to compensate from feeling inadequate at home.
(edited 9 years ago)
Segregation is a bad idea, I have experienced similar sorts of abuse from people because of my dyspraxia, and as far as I can see, the issues seem to be the same. Most of the problems dyspraxic people have comes from schools not being prepared to be supportive, and it's the same for LGBT students. They get bullied through a lack of understanding, and are more likely to suffer symptoms of depression because they don't feel that the teachers are being supportive in any way.
It would probably be better to have a club at school for LGBT students so that they get to meet other LGBT people, but not to segregate them, if we educate young people so that they know about the issues gay people face, and so that they are aware of what they are doing then there will be far fewer instances of bullying. It would also help if schools took homophobic bulling seriously.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
A school for LGBT pupils is planned for Manchester.

"This is about saving lives,” said Amelia Lee, strategic director for LGBT Youth North West, the youth work charity behind the plans. “Despite the laws that claim to protect gay people from homophobic bullying, the truth is that in schools especially, bullying is still incredibly common and causes young people to feel isolated and alienated, which often leads to truanting and, in the worst-case scenarios, to suicide.”

"The school will be specifically designed for LGBT young people who are struggling in mainstream schools, but will be open to other children, including young carers, young parents and those with mental health problems. “It will be LGBT-inclusive, but not exclusive,” said Lee."

Is segregating pupils the right solution, or should we be focusing attention on eliminating homophobia from mainstream schools?

This is a horrible idea for 2 reasons..

1) The idea that segregating people will create anything but division is insane. This will just create a load of students who are ultra-sensitive having never had a comment thrown at them - bullying is an issue, but on some occasions you can simply develop a thicker skin.

2) These people are children who are not even supposed to be having sex. The idea that a parent would deem their son gay at age 11 and send them off to a segregated school borders on criminal to me.

Finally....... the state is funding this........... what!
LGBT people will never be accepted by the society. Those posters that say that the reason this school shouldn't be build is because it won't help straight people accept LGBT people are dead wrong. There will ALWAYS be people who will dislike and hate LGBT people, so i don't know about the all the acceptance and tackling bullying that people are blabbing about on this site. It just doesn't make sense.

The only valid reasons for disagreeing with this idea, is that it will have an impact on their career/employment, and that it will reveal their sexuality to people, not everyone wants people to know they are gay or lesbian. There is NO other legit reason for not wanting to build this school.
Should black people have their own schools?
Should muslims have their own schools?
Should fat people?

Besides, I thought general consensus of gender/sexual orientation is that it's quite a fluid thing. How could this be policed? Surely some people don't even know they're gay until its just pointless for them to move school.
Why not focus on presenting homosexuality (or whatever) as something unremarkable and not worthy of complete segregation...
I think a lot of people are missing the point. I don't think this is for people who simply want to go to a LGBT school for the hell of it, I'm guessing it's a school for people who have been consistently and seriously bullied for their sexuality to the point where they literally couldn't cope in a mainstream school and the alternative for them would be home-schooling.
I don't understand how is segregating lgbt students going to help against bullying and homophobia and the like? Surely it's just going to worsen the situation by singling them out? Yes bullying and homophobia and being against transgender people is wrong but shouldn't we try to combat that in schools than isolate them? Lgbt people are just regular people too we should be striving for equality in our communities and societies not separating them. Also, are we talking secondary school, college? Because if the answer is secondary school how are they going to have an equal number of students distributed across all years because not everyone knows and realises at 11?
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
A school for LGBT pupils is planned for Manchester.

"This is about saving lives,” said Amelia Lee, strategic director for LGBT Youth North West, the youth work charity behind the plans. “Despite the laws that claim to protect gay people from homophobic bullying, the truth is that in schools especially, bullying is still incredibly common and causes young people to feel isolated and alienated, which often leads to truanting and, in the worst-case scenarios, to suicide.”

"The school will be specifically designed for LGBT young people who are struggling in mainstream schools, but will be open to other children, including young carers, young parents and those with mental health problems. “It will be LGBT-inclusive, but not exclusive,” said Lee."

Is segregating pupils the right solution, or should we be focusing attention on eliminating homophobia from mainstream schools?

Speaking as an American, whose history of segregation of blacks and whites as a major influencing part of the race riots that are going on right now all over the USA, we have never been good at separate but equal. Separating LGBT students off will do more harm than good, by creating a feeling of separation and fear and aversion where there once was none. The British may have more luck if you attempt to segregate, but I highly doubt that history, when it repeats, will change too much. Any laws are better than no laws, although I understand the claims that the laws are not effective, and what we should be teaching in schools is tolerance, rather than separation or segregation. Separation hurts both parties involved, whether blacks vs whites or LGBT vs non LGBT, by creating a sense of alienation between the two.

As for the new school being "LGBT inclusive but not exclusive," I really support what they are trying to do, but shouldn't all schools be LGBT inclusive? If it's the focus of the school that is different, maybe this school is more focused on making sure LGBT students are taken care of, then all schools should adopt that same care; problem solved. Who is to say that the same type of discrimination will not happen at this school? If we knew how to prevent this discrimination and bullying from happening, then we would have no problem to begin with.

Latest

Trending

Trending