The Student Room Group

Reality TV is pointless

Posting this thread because I feel the need to rant. Does anyone else agree that reality TV is the most pointless thing ever? For example, Big Brother? Why would anyone want to watch a group of Z-lister celebs in a 'house' do pointless **** and talk about pointless ****, what purpose does it serve? Also, they get paid for it!? It's ridiculous. I also feel that the 'celebrities' that are on the show are the worst role models ever. Do you agree? Also what do you think about other shows like Geordie shore and Towie?
Reply 1
Well that's quite obvious isn't it?
Original post by ilem
Well that's quite obvious isn't it?

Is it though? Clearly the millions of viewers don't agree
Reply 3
Original post by Caitlinmcewan
Is it though? Clearly the millions of viewers don't agree

Sure. But the popularity of something isn't necessarily representative of its quality (and vice versa).

Though you could just easily regard most hobbies in life to be ultimately pointless if you really wanted to. After all, there is no inherent value in climbing mountains or playing video games or even reading books; these are simply pastimes that appeal to certain demographics for various reasons. In the same way reality tv also seems to have found its niche.
Original post by ilem
Sure. But the popularity of something isn't necessarily representative of its quality (and vice versa).

Though you could just easily regard most hobbies in life to be ultimately pointless if you really wanted to. After all, there is no inherent value in climbing mountains or playing video games or even reading books; these are simply pastimes that appeal to certain demographics for various reasons. In the same way reality tv also seems to have found its niche.

I suppose you're right, thanks for your response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending