The Student Room Group

Is using Google Translate breaking exam board rules?

Is using Google Translate breaking exam board rules? (At GCSE)
Reply 1
Original post by londoncricket
--> "Use Google to pass the inspection, the Commission for the rules? (GCSE)"

That depends on how good it is!
Original post by Simes
--> "Use Google to pass the inspection, the Commission for the rules? (GCSE)"

That depends on how good it is!

I don't think I entirely understood that comment, but okay, thank you!
Reply 3

Depends. It would be handy in a Maths exam. Maths is a whole other language to itself xDDd

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SHBK
Depends. It would be handy in a Maths exam. Maths is a whole other language to itself xDDd

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha

If this is for language coursework, please don't, for your own sake. They are banned (source) and trust me, it is incredibly easy to work out when you've used a translator. This is because translators do not work. They can translate the gist of what you're saying but the translations they give often sound extremely unnatural and words are often translated literally and therefore incorrectly. If you use a translator for chunks of your work, you will fail.
Original post by Chlorophile
If this is for language coursework, please don't, for your own sake. They are banned (source) and trust me, it is incredibly easy to work out when you've used a translator. This is because translators do not work. They can translate the gist of what you're saying but the translations they give often sound extremely unnatural and words are often translated literally and therefore incorrectly. If you use a translator for chunks of your work, you will fail.

What would happen if I did a controlled assessment using Google Translate, did the controlled assessment exam, got a good grade and that's the end of it? Would the moderators at the exam board pick up on it?
What would happen if I did a controlled assessment using Google Translate, did the controlled assessment exam, got a good grade and that's the end of it? Would the moderators at the exam board pick up on it?

First of all, you won't get a good grade. You can not get a good grade with a translator. Secondly, it is likely your teacher will realise that you've used a translator. In that case, your CA will become invalid and they're perfectly within their rights to take it further. If that happens, you're lucky. If you're unlucky and it gets sent off and the moderator suspects you've used a translator, you can get 0 points. Of course it's possible that you're extremely lucky and nobody notices, but assuming you're a vaguely intelligent human, you're not going to risk your entire grade on that possibility.

tl;dr: Don't be an idiot, don't use a translator, don't cheat and just do the CA properly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Take it from me (A-Level Spanish student) translators don't work so well, I've used it do to my homework before :colondollar: and it comes out completely crap compared to what I'd usually do. It'll take a little longer but it's worth it especially since you're doing CW

Just have a few really good essay phrases and different tenses and you'll be fine :goodluck:
Original post by Chlorophile
First of all, you won't get a good grade. You can not get a good grade with a translator. Secondly, it is likely your teacher will realise that you've used a translator. In that case, your CA will become invalid and they're perfectly within their rights to take it further. If that happens, you're lucky. If you're unlucky and it gets sent off and the moderator suspects you've used a translator, you can get 0 points. Of course it's possible that you're extremely lucky and nobody notices, but assuming you're a vaguely intelligent human, you're not going to risk your entire grade on that possibility.

tl;dr: Don't be an idiot, don't use a translator, don't cheat and just do the CA properly.

'If you're unlucky and it gets sent off and the moderator suspects you've used a translator, you can get 0 points.'

Is this common?
'If you're unlucky and it gets sent off and the moderator suspects you've used a translator, you can get 0 points.'

Is this common?

I don't know but it's definitely possible. Whether you genuinely want to risk screwing up your entire GCSE because you're too lazy to put any effort into your coursework is your choice.

To illustrate why you wouldn't get a good grade, I have made up some random text on holidays (a common coursework topic) and put it into Google Translate. Everything Google has translated wrong is in red.

Text I put in: Last year I went on holiday to France with my family to stay with relatives. I didn't like it because they had no wifi and I couldn't text my friends. It rained the whole holiday. Next year we are going to go to Spain because it's hotter and I want to relax on the beach.

Google's attempt: L'année dernière je suis allé en vacances en France avec ma famille chez des parents. Je ne aimais pas parce qu'ils ne avaient pas de wifi et je ne pouvais pas le texte mes amis. Il a plu pendant tout le séjour. L'année prochaine, nous allons aller en Espagne parce que ce est plus chaud et je tiens à vous détendre sur la plage.
To share my experiences. A boy in my class tried to get away with using Google Translate.

Unfortunately, as it's absolutely awful. "pas marrant" (not funny) was translated to 'funny walk' on one of his pieces of homework. Hilarity ensued.

If (big if) it doesn't mess up. It'll have used complex language structures you'll never have been taught which will immediately raise questions about the legitimacy of your work. Just use your textbook and spend time on your work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending