The Student Room Group

Integration - The Basics

Hi,

I understand how to get to the answer, that's fine. But I just don't understand the logic used. "Consider", what do they mean? Are we just "Letting" y=... or is y=sin(2x+3) the actual integral?

If so, if we differentiate this value, we should get back to cos(2x+3) but we clearly don't. So this value cannot be the integral? Why are we taking these steps?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ps1265A

Hi,

I understand how to get to the answer, that's fine. But I just don't understand the logic used. "Consider", what do they mean? Are we just "Letting" y=... or is y=sin(2x+3) the actual integral?

If so, if we differentiate this value, we should get back to cos(2x+3) but we clearly don't. So this value cannot be the integral? Why are we taking these steps?

Thanks!

The answer is y=1/2 sin(2x+3)

If you differentiate that you get cos(2x+3)

The text is explaining why you you need the 1/2
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
The answer is y=1/2 sin(2x+3)

If you differentiate that you get cos(2x+3)

The text is explaining why you you need the 1/2

I want to know whether step 1 is just a "rough" integration

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A

Posted from TSR Mobile

No

Step 1 is telling you the thinking process
Reply 4
No

Step 1 is telling you the thinking process

And what is the thinking process? An estimation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
And what is the thinking process? An estimation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is looking at the integrated and saying to yourself ... Oh ... I must have differentiated a Sin function in order to get a Cos function

I am struggling to see what is confusing you
Original post by ps1265A

Posted from TSR Mobile

Step 1 is an "intelligent " guess. You then check whether it is correct and adjust if necessary.
You should try to get to know certain standard patterns. For example, consider a function of x f(x). If the integral is F(x) then the integral of f(ax) will be F(ax)/a
Similarly the integral of f(ax+b) will be F(ax+b)/a.
IN reverse, if the derivative of f(x) is g(x) say then the derivative of f(ax) will be ag(ax) and of f(ax+b) will be ag(ax+b).
More generally the derivative of f(g(x)) will be g'(x)f'(g(x))
See page 38 in the attachment.
Reply 7
It is looking at the integrated and saying to yourself ... Oh ... I must have differentiated a Sin function in order to get a Cos function

Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to know and was thinking the same, just didn't know how to word it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by brianeverit
Step 1 is an "intelligent " guess. You then check whether it is correct and adjust if necessary.
You should try to get to know certain standard patterns. For example, consider a function of x f(x). If the integral is F(x) then the integral of f(ax) will be F(ax)/a
Similarly the integral of f(ax+b) will be F(ax+b)/a.
IN reverse, if the derivative of f(x) is g(x) say then the derivative of f(ax) will be ag(ax) and of f(ax+b) will be ag(ax+b).
More generally the derivative of f(g(x)) will be g'(x)f'(g(x))
See page 38 in the attachment.

Thank you soooo much, I understand it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Thank you soooo much, I understand it now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You''re welcome
Reply 10
You''re welcome

Could you tell me what the best way to learn integration is? At the moment, I have 2 option: one is by simply looking at the formulas and just plugging in and one is by actually doing the steps as I did above. Or do I have to adopt a combination of both because all questions don't follow the above method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

Could you tell me what the best way to learn integration is? At the moment, I have 2 option: one is by simply looking at the formulas and just plugging in and one is by actually doing the steps as I did above. Or do I have to adopt a combination of both because all questions don't follow the above method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
You''re welcome

Because say if I have the Q was integrate 1/(2x+1)^2 and I followed the 3 step method, I would get:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421517816.692358.jpg

But the actual answer is -1/2(2x+1)^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Because say if I have the Q was integrate 1/(2x+1)^2 and I followed the 3 step method, I would get:
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421517816.692358.jpg

But the actual answer is -1/2(2x+1)^2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Both this question and the original question use the idea of "reverse chain rule"

You should know that differentiating the function of a function needs the chain rule

So if you are integrating the function of a function you will consider reversing the chain rule
Reply 14
Both this question and the original question use the idea of "reverse chain rule"

You should know that differentiating the function of a function needs the chain rule

So if you are integrating the function of a function you will consider reversing the chain rule

I have used the reverse chain rules

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
I have used the reverse chain rules

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry did not look at your work properly

You need to increase the power

You have changed a power of -2 to a power of -3

That is decreasing
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16

That is decreasing

I'm sorry if the picture is unclear. I've changed my power from a 2 to a 3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17

That is decreasing

Or do I have to account for the reciprocal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ps1265A
Or do I have to account for the reciprocal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can see that you have changed from a 2to a 3

As you have realised now ... You have changed -2 to -3 ... Decreasing rather than increasing ... Since the function is in the denominator
Reply 19
I can see that you have changed from a 2to a 3

As you have realised now ... You have changed -2 to -3 ... Decreasing rather than increasing ... Since the function is in the denominator

So this is what I've got:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421520876.060318.jpg
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1421520911.005440.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest