The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Ask the University of Sheffield (2015 Applicants)

Hi everyone,

Now we’ve passed the UCAS application deadline for 2015 entry, it feels like we’re one step closer to September when our new students will be joining us :smile:

Please join this thread if you have applied to the University of Sheffield and have questions about the admissions process, undergraduate study or student life at the University of Sheffield. We will aim to answer questions as soon as possible but please allow a few days for a response. If you prefer, you can always send us a private message instead.

There are also some weblinks that you might find particularly useful:

Applications what happens next?
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/after

Accommodation:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/prospective/undergraduates/index

Funding and finance:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance

Scholarships (Deadline: 16 March):
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/finance/help/scholarships/sheffield-scholars)

Online Prospectus:
http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/undergraduate/

We look forward to hearing from you!

Elizabeth

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for Architecture and sent my portfolio off around a month ago, but I still haven't heard back. Should I be concerned or is this normal? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Hi Annabel

Thanks for your query. Please can you send me a private message to the University of Sheffield account via studentroom, including your UCAS number and date of birth and we'll look into this for you.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Hi!

I was just wondering if the number of applicants for civil engineering at Sheffield has increased a lot this year compared to last year because of the new building - the diamond?

And how many people applied for civil engineering this year and how many offers will be given?

Many Thanks
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, I have a Law offer of AAA that I will be putting as my firm choice. I was wondering if I may still be accepted even if I miss these grades and get lower such as AAB .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by User:26758
Hi!

I was just wondering if the number of applicants for civil engineering at Sheffield has increased a lot this year compared to last year because of the new building - the diamond?

And how many people applied for civil engineering this year and how many offers will be given?

Many Thanks
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you thinking of firming/insuring them? Loved sheffield :biggrin:
Original post by User:26758
Hi!

Many Thanks
Will

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Will

It’s good to hear from you :smile:. Generally, application numbers vary from year to year but we’ve had about 50 more applications for Civil Engineering than we did at this point last year. We can’t know for sure if this is because of The Diamond. The new building is appealing to new students but we’ve also had some impressive results in other areas. For example, in the 2014 Research Excellence Framework, Civil Engineering at Sheffield came in the top 5 in the UK: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/news/nr/ref-2014-confirms-sheffield-as-a-world-leading-university-1.427639

The number of offers we give depends on the quality of the applications. If an applicant is taking the subjects we need and has, or is predicted to get, the required grades, they have a very good chance of getting an offer. As the UCAS deadline has only just passed, we are currently reading applications and providing applicants with offers so we’re still finding out about this year’s applicants.

Good luck with your application.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by samanthamg
Hi, I have a Law offer of AAA that I will be putting as my firm choice. I was wondering if I may still be accepted even if I miss these grades and get lower such as AAB .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Samantha

Congratulations on your offer. We’re delighted that Sheffield will be your firm choice :smile:.

We don't know until we get everyone's A level results in August if we'll be able to accept people who fall slightly short of their offers: we like to be flexible where we can, especially when students have shown their commitment to us by picking us as their firm choice, but it all depends on how many places we have left once we have confirmed those who accept our offer and then meet their conditions, and also on what grades the department and university are happy to accept.

We generally advise that it’s a good idea to have a safe insurance choice with lower grades just in case things don’t go according to plan, but if you put the work in, hopefully all will be well and we'll see you in September!

Good luck with your studies.

Elizabeth
Hi! I got the Architecture offer! I was wondering if General Studies is accepted for the K100 course? It doesn't specify on the website. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi! I got an unconditional offer for my first choice at Sheffield in October 2014 and since then I've been waiting for the other 4 to come through but I'm worried about getting a deferred entry if I reply late. :s-smilie:

When I was withdrawing from my other choices, one of which included my 2nd choice to Sheffield University for a different course, the only option in the drop-down box allowing me to do so is, "I no longer want to apply to this university and course". Will this option affect my first offer to the same university? :confused:

Reply 10
Hi!
I have been invited for an informal interview for Computer Science, I was just wondering what this consists of. Is it one on one, or group? Will there be technical questions? Roughly how long are they?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AnnabelC3504
Hi! I got the Architecture offer! I was wondering if General Studies is accepted for the K100 course? It doesn't specify on the website. Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Annabel

Congrats on your offer :smile: I sent you a message last night but I'm not sure if you received it? I'll re-send it if it didn't come through.

I've checked with the department and General Studies is not accepted for the K100 course.

Best regards

Elizabeth
UK/EU Recruitment Officer
Original post by kcv001
Hi! I got an unconditional offer for my first choice at Sheffield in October 2014 and since then I've been waiting for the other 4 to come through but I'm worried about getting a deferred entry if I reply late. :s-smilie:

When I was withdrawing from my other choices, one of which included my 2nd choice to Sheffield University for a different course, the only option in the drop-down box allowing me to do so is, "I no longer want to apply to this university and course". Will this option affect my first offer to the same university? :confused:

Hi

We're really pleased that Sheffield is your first choice - thanks for choosing us :smile: According to the information provided by UCAS you are still making your decision well before the deadline. If all your offers were received on or before 31 March 2015, UCAS needs your decision by 6 May 2015.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to provide detailed guidance on UCAS Track because the UCAS systems and functions we can see are different to those used by applicants. However, there is some helpful advice about using Track on the UCAS website: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/replying-your-offers You can also contact UCAS for help by phone, email or social media: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/contact-us

One last thing to mention - UCAS are doing some scheduled maintenance on their website this weekend so Track will be unavailable from 6pm on Friday 23rd January to 8am on Monday 26 January.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Reply 13
Hi,

I have applied for Computer Science and I was just wondering - how many new students will you take in this year for this course? I did not find any information about this on the website.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Stav_D
Hi!
I have been invited for an informal interview for Computer Science, I was just wondering what this consists of. Is it one on one, or group? Will there be technical questions? Roughly how long are they?
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good morning!

I've had a chat with the Computer Science Department and the interviews take place at the end of the open day. The interview will take about 15-20 minutes and will be a one-to-one with an academic member of staff. The aim of the interview is to enable us to find out a bit more about you and to enable you to ask any questions you may have about studying at Sheffield. There are no set questions - each academic decides what they'd like to ask. They will ask you a computer science related question so they can see how you work things out but don't get too worried about this (you won't be scored on your answer or anything like that). They may ask you questions based on your personal statement. During the interview, the academic may take notes or, depending on the member of staff, they may jot down a few notes after the interview has taken place.

There's no specific dress code for the interview but we generally advise smart-casual. However, we are also mindful of the weather (we have had snow and ice this week) so we also advise that you dress for the weather.

As part of the open day, you will be involved in a small group activity. This takes place before the interview and you work with 2 to 3 other applicants on devising a solution to a problem. The problem you work on will reflect your subject interest.

I hope that's helpful and good luck with your interview :smile:

Elizabeth
UK/EU Student Recruitment Officer
I applied to uni of Sheffield to a month ago for software engineering. I send them my tutors email and they said they will reply shortly (15days since I send the emails )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kostmar2014
I applied to uni of Sheffield to a month ago for software engineering. I send them my tutors email and they said they will reply shortly (15days since I send the emails )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I'm sorry there's been a delay in our reply. Please can you send a private message to me via the University of Sheffield account and provide your name, UCAS number and date of birth and I'll ask our admissions team to look into this.

Best regards

Elizabeth
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi,

I'm sorry there's been a delay in our reply. Please can you send a private message to me via the University of Sheffield account and provide your name, UCAS number and date of birth and I'll ask our admissions team to look into this.

Best regards

Elizabeth

I send you the private email
Reply 18
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hi

We're really pleased that Sheffield is your first choice - thanks for choosing us :smile: According to the information provided by UCAS you are still making your decision well before the deadline. If all your offers were received on or before 31 March 2015, UCAS needs your decision by 6 May 2015.

Unfortunately, we're not in a position to provide detailed guidance on UCAS Track because the UCAS systems and functions we can see are different to those used by applicants. However, there is some helpful advice about using Track on the UCAS website: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/track-your-application/replying-your-offers You can also contact UCAS for help by phone, email or social media: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/contact-us

One last thing to mention - UCAS are doing some scheduled maintenance on their website this weekend so Track will be unavailable from 6pm on Friday 23rd January to 8am on Monday 26 January.

Best regards

Elizabeth

Thank you so much!
I was also wondering if you could tell me when exactly the registration event will be held for 2015 applicants?
Original post by epicme
Hi,

I have applied for Computer Science and I was just wondering - how many new students will you take in this year for this course? I did not find any information about this on the website.

Thanks in advance!

Good afternoon,

Thanks for your question. Last year we had about 130 places for Computer Science and it will be a similar number this year.

Have a good weekend.

Elizabeth

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending