The Student Room Group

I Need a JOB

So do any of you work?

If so how did you get your job? It seems impossible. So I commend you for working, and would like your pointers. Fresh, innovative ideas as well.

And is it (highly) unlikely or improbable for a college/Uni student to work in an office, like clerical or administrative or receptionist?

I have been a fulltime college student for two years, never worked. I don't even know how to fill out a resume. I owe money to my college and might not be able to attend school. So I need work.
Reply 1
I put my CV on a few sites I could upload it to (e.g. Indeed, Monster, etc) and actually got a call from someone who wanted to interview me. I've had a lot of people contact me from that - not necessarily things I've wanted though.

Just to say, I had zero experience and meh a levels (do have a first in my degree tho, but from an average-to-bad uni), so it's not like I had an amazing CV.

Also, if you're going to upload your CV somehwere, then don't include too personal things i.e. your exact house address. Just give the town. I took my mobile number off it in the end as I kept getting calls from sales jobs, but its probably best to leave that on there.
Handing out CVs to shops and pubs is a good way to get employment. There's loads of sites online to help you with writing an eye-catching CV. Most of the time you'll also need a covering letter, addressed to "Hiring Manager" or better yet, ringing them or searching for them online to find out their name (makes it more personally and therefore more noticeable). There are loads of jobsites that you can use and sign up to, allowing you to filter the searches you're looking for. Another way would be to go onto the company sites and have a look at their job listings, because many won't advertise anywhere but there because they are looking for people to come to them who genuinely have interest in their company and therefore their roles.

It is unlikely to get any admin role as student without prior experience nowadays. However, there are usually volunteer roles where you don't have to give up too much time and can be used as a door opener. You could also highlight computer work, if you did much of that at college. Sometimes hotel night receptionists might hire without much experience, considering the unsociable part-time hours.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your job search! xx
I struggled to get a job before I had experience, and I got that experience by volunteering in a charity shop two days a week. I always find Indeed to be a good website to look for jobs, but yeah, if the problem is experience, volunteering should help.
I think supermarkets are a good start , they are entry level and require zero use of the brain and the money isn't actuslly that bad . I worked in on for three years part time during my a levels and it was great to get me by
Reply 5
You don't always need experience - just show employers you are friendly, make sure you dont give them the impression you will find the job boring - fake enthusiasm and a will to learn if you have to, I attribute this as the main reason why I seem to do well in interviews. Employers love to see enthusiasm and if you are willing to learn then the lack of experience isn't as much of a problem. Imagine you are an employer & think of all the qualities you'd look for in a potential employee.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
mentioned I did charity work and worked in mc donalds for like a month (left because I hated it lol), but obviously I didn't say that's why I left. Just apply for lots of customer service jobs like supermarkets, fast food/restaurant chains or retail. I managed to land a job in the latter.
Original post by pocahontas lol
So do any of you work?

If so how did you get your job? It seems impossible. So I commend you for working, and would like your pointers. Fresh, innovative ideas as well.

And is it (highly) unlikely or improbable for a college/Uni student to work in an office, like clerical or administrative or receptionist?

I have been a fulltime college student for two years, never worked. I don't even know how to fill out a resume. I owe money to my college and might not be able to attend school. So I need work.

I do work.

I went onto the companies actual website and e-mailed the administrator my CV and covering letter, then they called me for an interview and then I got the job a week after the interview. I would try and look at your CV and see if you can add anything outstanding on there and even a change of the font and background really makes all the difference. Since I did that to mine, I had been getting calls and e-mails asking for interviews! It is not impossible at all to work within an office environment but because of the very high demand applications for those types of jobs, it can be harder to achieve. Google all of these things, or visit Citizens Advice or Jobcentre and they will be able to help you out.
Original post by xDave-
I put my CV on a few sites I could upload it to (e.g. Indeed, Monster, etc) and actually got a call from someone who wanted to interview me. I've had a lot of people contact me from that - not necessarily things I've wanted though.

Just to say, I had zero experience and meh a levels (do have a first in my degree tho, but from an average-to-bad uni), so it's not like I had an amazing CV.

Also, if you're going to upload your CV somehwere, then don't include too personal things i.e. your exact house address. Just give the town. I took my mobile number off it in the end as I kept getting calls from sales jobs, but its probably best to leave that on there.

Everything noted; thanks a lot. What do you mean by sales jobs?

Original post by NeverTooLatte
Handing out CVs to shops and pubs is a good way to get employment. There's loads of sites online to help you with writing an eye-catching CV. Most of the time you'll also need a covering letter, addressed to "Hiring Manager" or better yet, ringing them or searching for them online to find out their name (makes it more personally and therefore more noticeable). There are loads of jobsites that you can use and sign up to, allowing you to filter the searches you're looking for. Another way would be to go onto the company sites and have a look at their job listings, because many won't advertise anywhere but there because they are looking for people to come to them who genuinely have interest in their company and therefore their roles.

It is unlikely to get any admin role as student without prior experience nowadays. However, there are usually volunteer roles where you don't have to give up too much time and can be used as a door opener. You could also highlight computer work, if you did much of that at college. Sometimes hotel night receptionists might hire without much experience, considering the unsociable part-time hours.

Anyway, I wish you luck with your job search! xx

Thank you so much! :redface: Ideas are always helpful, as when I posted this I had zero hope.

Original post by katehlouise
I struggled to get a job before I had experience, and I got that experience by volunteering in a charity shop two days a week. I always find Indeed to be a good website to look for jobs, but yeah, if the problem is experience, volunteering should help.

Hmm...well I did volunteer, unofficially like I babysit an asthmatic :redface: lol and I nursed a woman with cancer. But no one seemed to care at Dunkin Donuts :sad:

Original post by ssupernova
I think supermarkets are a good start , they are entry level and require zero use of the brain and the money isn't actuslly that bad . I worked in on for three years part time during my a levels and it was great to get me by

Supermarket. Hmmm they always seem to hire family and teens, but I'll consider this, thanks.
Original post by Lewk
You don't always need experience - just show employers you are friendly, make sure you dont give them the impression you will find the job boring - fake enthusiasm and a will to learn if you have to, I attribute this as the main reason why I seem to do well in interviews. Employers love to see enthusiasm and if you are willing to learn then the lack of experience isn't as much of a problem. Imagine you are an employer & think of all the qualities you'd look for in a potential employee.

Lol I was thinking that. I went on my first interview last year for a new bar/grill opening up, with several chains in the area. And I was always told for interviews, remove jewellery, dress formally, and be professional. But when I walked in I saw the girls were looking like they just came from jogging or something :lolwut: like sloppy ponytails and trainers and jeans, and were like loud and sociable. I just knew they wouldn't get hired.

But then I got interviewed and like, I was too conservative, I think :redface: One girl Jill told me she got the job when I saw her again and she was like really chatty and dressed informally. So I was like hmmm maybe I just need to smile, like the employer and his sister asked why I was so shy. I am not shy I just thought I had to be a certain way >.<

So I told myself from now on even I am not feeling it, I am kind of desperate now as I'm getting older, no experience. So I said from now on, walk in with pep in my step, a big smile, and a firm handshake. Sigh.

Anyway thanks for confirming this for me :smile:

Original post by Tai Ga
mentioned I did charity work and worked in mc donalds for like a month (left because I hated it lol), but obviously I didn't say that's why I left. Just apply for lots of customer service jobs like supermarkets, fast food/restaurant chains or retail. I managed to land a job in the latter.

Customer service, okay. I think I just started off too late. Like I always wanted to work as a teen (22 now) and I got an interview when I was 16 to work at at a clinic and like do outreach for middle school kids, and guide them when they come in; I was going to do filing like apprenticeship. I knew the employer personally and she called me to work, not even interview.

And then my mom said I couldn't work, like if I started working as a teen dependent in her home, she couldn't get income tax returns for me:mad::rolleyes:. I just broke everything in sight and bawled. That could've been a real good opportunity.

Original post by Butterfly92xo
I do work.

I went onto the companies actual website and e-mailed the administrator my CV and covering letter, then they called me for an interview and then I got the job a week after the interview. I would try and look at your CV and see if you can add anything outstanding on there and even a change of the font and background really makes all the difference. Since I did that to mine, I had been getting calls and e-mails asking for interviews! It is not impossible at all to work within an office environment but because of the very high demand applications for those types of jobs, it can be harder to achieve. Google all of these things, or visit Citizens Advice or Jobcentre and they will be able to help you out.

At bold: I see. :sad:

Thank you all so much!
Come and work for me, my room needs cleaning :sexface:
So do any of you work?

Simple.

Month leading up to Christmas time a lot of places need more employees to handle the Christmas rush. Doing well on these will allow you to stay past the temporary period (usually 3 months) they offer and ta da, you have a job.
That helps bunches. Considering Christmas is passed :colonhash:
Yes I work as a surgeon. How cool is that.
Reply 13
Everything noted; thanks a lot. What do you mean by sales jobs?

Telesales i.e. cold-calling jobs. They're everywhere, but it's really not something I'd like to work in.
So do any of you work?

I work however I have now graduated but I worked all throughout university including often working 2 jobs at Christmas time.
Call centres are good, I worked for Lloyds and Student loans company, as they had evening shifts and were mainly students doing them. I also worked as a part time receptionist in a lawyers office. This was advertised to us through the uni as we that's what we were studying. I worked a half day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

At Christmas I also worked in Game and did that for 4 years, one year when I was still at school and a few years at uni, they just called me up each October to come back in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending