The Student Room Group

Can you live of 16000 pounds annually?

I'm moving from Belgium to the UK (Greenock, small city, 30 km from Glasgow) for a customer service job. The job will be earning 16000 pounds + bonusses up to 17000 pounds. Now I'm wondering if this is a good annual salary, and if I would be able to save money. It's a small city in Scotland, not London obviously, and so expect to be cheap. I'm also prepared to get a flatmate if this isn't enough to live on.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by LordBanter
no, unless you like sleeping outside tesco

is it really that bad wage?
Original post by alexlebleu
I'm moving from Belgium to the UK (Greenock, small city, 30 km from Glasgow) for a customer service job. The job will be earning 16000 pounds + bonusses up to 17000 pounds. Now I'm wondering if this is a good annual salary, and if I would be able to save money. It's a small city in Scotland, not London obviously, and so expect to be cheap. I'm also prepared to get a flatmate if this isn't enough to live on.

Its definitely doable, if you just use the money for transport, food etc. If you're prepared to get a flatmate that's a plus as rent might pricey. I wouldn't call it a good annual salary, liveable yes, but you can't afford to be living luxuriously everyday if you know what I mean?
Reply 3

Yes, easily.
Reply 4
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Its definitely doable, if you just use the money for transport, food etc. If you're prepared to get a flatmate that's a plus as rent might pricey. I wouldn't call it a good annual salary, liveable yes, but you can't afford to be living luxuriously everyday if you know what I mean?

Ow ok, but I mean, it's Ok for starter job, and not that I need a car or every day takeaway.

Life seems to be expensive in the UK compared to mainland Europe, council tax sounds so rubbish
Reply 5
I have been looking for rent: 450 pounds for 2 bedroom flat, divided by 2 + utilities, like wifi and electricity, council tax. Should be 500 pounds monthly. leaves 600 pounds for food, dress and other stuff. Seems quit all right.
Ow ok, but I mean, it's Ok for starter job, and not that I need a car or every day takeaway.

Life seems to be expensive in the UK compared to mainland Europe, council tax sounds so rubbish

I have no idea how much people that work in customer service make, so I wouldn't know. After a while your salary may increase, but to what I don't know? It's okay for a starter if you want to do it, do you have any other experience in this role or?
Reply 7
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
I have no idea how much people that work in customer service make, so I wouldn't know. After a while your salary may increase, but to what I don't know? It's okay for a starter if you want to do it, do you have any other experience in this role or?

Have no experience in this role. it's a dutch/french speaking role so they help with relocation, it's an 18 month commitment. Customer experience go up to 22 000 pounds annually. after my commitment I would like go more to the south of England prefer London area.
Reply 8
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/sep/14/do-britons-feel-rich-poor

It's like people in Britain need more money then in Belgium.

I will be earning like about 1100 pounds monthly. If I share an appartment it will cost me about 250 pounds, + uttilities about another 150. 400 pounds. Leaves me 700 pounds for other stuff. Seems reasonable..
Is that before or after tax?
Original post by OU Student
Is that before or after tax?

I would imagine before. Either way it is perfectly possible to live of it.
Reply 11
16000 before tax.

1100 is after tax
It's always possible but it's not a good life.

You need to remember that UK has lots of taxes.
Reply 13
Original post by clh_hilary
It's always possible but it's not a good life.

You need to remember that UK has lots of taxes.

Council tax, bedroom tax, what's all that?
Would be great if you're still at your mum and dads.
Reply 15
Ok bad idea, better just stay in Belgium
Council tax, bedroom tax, what's all that?

Bedroom tax won't apply. Things like the tax you pay on your wages, VAT and council tax, you will pay.
You can live adequately on that, particularly in the provinces. I would say you need about £9-10,000 to live, when taking into account all expenses, not having to live with flatmates, and allowing for enough diversions to keep you from getting depressed.

(It's telling that many entire families exist on minimum wage, which is £11,000 if you can get the hours.)

You won't be able to save up for anything that might improve your standing in the world though, like buying a house, moving to an economic centre, or going back to education (another thing well off people don't understand about being low-paid). So I hope you are moving into something with a decent career track to it - note that most customer service will give you almost no opportunity to advance your career.

Your taxes will be:
- 20% income tax on earnings over £10,000
- National Insurance but this is an absolute pig to work out, it kicks in earlier but the rate is less
- Council tax, let's say £1,000? Note if you live alone you will get 25% off any headline rate

Tbh at our age you might as well get a flatmate, you don't want to be sitting at home alone all the time and rent is easily the biggest expense. I don't know what the rules are on access to benefits for EU immigrants, but with a fair wind and depending on how expensive the area is you might be able to nab a few hundred in working tax credits or housing benefit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by scrotgrot

Tbh at our age you might as well get a flatmate, you don't want to be sitting at home alone all the time and rent is easily the biggest expense. I don't know what the rules are on access to benefits for EU immigrants, but with a fair wind and depending on how expensive the area is you might be able to nab a few hundred in working tax credits or housing benefit.

Income would be far too high for any benefits.
Reply 19
Original post by scrotgrot
You can live adequately on that, particularly in the provinces. I would say you need about £9-10,000 to live, when taking into account all expenses, not having to live with flatmates, and allowing for enough diversions to keep you from getting depressed.

(It's telling that many entire families exist on minimum wage, which is £11,000 if you can get the hours.)

You won't be able to save up for anything that might improve your standing in the world though, like buying a house, moving to an economic centre, or going back to education (another thing well off people don't understand about being low-paid). So I hope you are moving into something with a decent career track to it - note that most customer service will give you almost no opportunity to advance your career.

Your taxes will be:
- 20% income tax on earnings over £10,000
- National Insurance but this is an absolute pig to work out, it kicks in earlier but the rate is less
- Council tax, let's say £1,000? Note if you live alone you will get 25% off any headline rate

I was thinking about moving to London after my commitment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending