The Student Room Group

Can a Petroleum Engineer become "mega rich" ?

Talking about + £100,000 /year by 25 yrs old
Having a big house etc etc

Is this possible
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naxiv
Talking about + £100,000 /year by 25 yrs
Having a big house etc etc

Is this possible

Don't go into engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Why?
Original post by addylad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Yes, but only if you decide to use your engineering degree to get into a company and then lean towards a management career.

Original post by addylad

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is possible.
Original post by djpailo
It is possible.

I know. I was giving him advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by djpailo
Yes, but only if you decide to use your engineering degree to get into a company and then lean towards a management career.

How long do you think this will take ?
Reply 6
Original post by addylad
I know. I was giving him advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There is nothing wrong wanting to earn lots of money in Engineering. This view that engineers don't earn much is archaic. They may earn less than other fields, but that doesn't mean they earn peanuts. It wasn't like he was asking for 100k/ career after 5 years or something either...
Reply 7
Lol i actually meant by "25 years old"
Original post by djpailo
There is nothing wrong wanting to earn lots of money in Engineering. This view that engineers don't earn much is archaic. They may earn less than other fields, but that doesn't mean they earn peanuts. It wasn't like he was asking for 100k/ career after 5 years or something either...
Reply 8
Original post by naxiv
Lol i actually meant by "25 years old"

You're basically asking how do I get rich quick and hitting the wall that says life is tough and you've got to work for it.
Original post by djpailo

You've managed to infer an awful lot from my posts that wasn't said, and then argue about it.

When did I say that engineers don't earn much? You are confusing 'not earning 100k' with 'below the bread line'.

100k after any period of time is a lot of money. Ignoring for one second that 25 years is a stupidly long way into the future for you to so confidently predict that petroleum engineers will be in high enough demand to pay those salaries, moving into management is very different to being an engineer. Are we talking about petroleum engineers, or people with petroleum engineering degrees?

And I never said there was anything wrong with wanting to earn lots of money. But not many people with that as their primary aim will last the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I know I'll make +£40,000 in year 1. Life isnt tough. I get to go to Sixth Form and University to get a good job (potentially). I plan on going to Norway etc after 3/4 years of experience to earn more, region of +£80,000. I dont want to jinx it, but i can see myself being very WEALTHY when i'm older.
Original post by djpailo
You're basically asking how do I get rich quick and hitting the wall that says life is tough and you've got to work for it.
Original post by naxiv
I know I'll make +£40,000 in year 1. Life isnt tough. I get to go to Sixth Form and University to get a good job (potentially). I plan on going to Norway etc after 3/4 years of experience to earn more, region of +£80,000. I dont want to jinx it, but i can see myself being very WEALTHY when i'm older.

This is a great plan apart from sentences 1-5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by naxiv

1) Minimum for grads is about 20k, For engineers it is usually 25k-30k. 35k if lucky. I've never seen 40k. Ever.
2) Going to university doesn't guarantee a job. Far from it. Market is inundated with graduates all competing for a handful of jobs. I appreciate you know this, but I'm saying it again, its a lot tougher than you think it is.
3) Even if you were wealthy, what do you plan to do with that wealth? Money isn't the be all and end all.
4) My advice above still holds true, you can enter a firm as an engineering graduate (perhaps a leadership programme) and gradually move up the food chain into progressively higher managerial type roles.

Original post by addylad
You've managed to infer an awful lot from my posts that wasn't said, and then argue about it.

Funny, I could say exactly the same thing about you doing it to the OP in your first post. I'll play your game. When did I "confidently predict" anything?
Reply 13
Original post by addylad
This is a great plan apart from sentences 1-5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applying for PE this year:smile:
Reply 14
100k+ by 25, working as an engineer, is probably a very tall order for any engineering discipline.
Reply 15
Lol what do you know about the field of petrochemistry.
Petroleum engineers (if you don't know this is, google is your friend), earn £30-40,000/year excluding bonuses. So £40,000 is common.

Your other points are meaningless.
Original post by djpailo
1) Minimum for grads is about 20k, For engineers it is usually 25k-30k. 35k if lucky. I've never seen 40k. Ever.
2) Going to university doesn't guarantee a job. Far from it. Market is inundated with graduates all competing for a handful of jobs. I appreciate you know this, but I'm saying it again, its a lot tougher than you think it is.
3) Even if you were wealthy, what do you plan to do with that wealth? Money isn't the be all and end all.
4) My advice above still holds true, you can enter a firm as an engineering graduate (perhaps a leadership programme) and gradually move up the food chain into progressively higher managerial type roles.

Funny, I could say exactly the same thing about you doing it to the OP in your first post.
Reply 16
Petroleum engineers make £30,000<x<£50,000 starting salary.
Original post by Noble.
100k+ by 25, working as an engineer, is probably a very tall order for any engineering discipline.
Original post by djpailo
Funny, I could say exactly the same thing about you doing it to the OP in your first post. I'll play your game. When did I "confidently predict" anything?

Oh really? Please do indulge me and elaborate. I think you'll find that my inference was correct, unlike yours.

You've made some very confident claims about salaries in engineering. Do you not read the stuff you write? If so, maybe you wouldn't post it.

Rather than rhetoric you could actually address my previous post. I suspect you might struggle though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by naxiv
Petroleum engineers make £30,000<x<£50,000 starting salary.

There's still a bit of a leap from 40k to 100k after just a couple of years working, that's the kind of increase you see in the financial sector, not generally within engineering.
Reply 19
Again
I think i'm talking to some dumb people on this thread. Have you even done research regarding PE?
Original post by Noble.
There's still a bit of a leap from 40k to 100k after just a couple of years working, that's the kind of increase you see in the financial sector, not generally within engineering.

Quick Reply

Latest