The Student Room Group

How do I connect external speakers directly to my LCD monitor display?

I've tried connecting the the green audio cable that came with the speakers into the audio output socket on my monitor but it didn't work (the sound continued to come out of the monitor's inbuilt speakers). Do I need a different cable or adaptor or something? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Genevieve2004
I've tried connecting the the green audio cable that came with the speakers into the audio output socket on my monitor but it didn't work (the sound continued to come out of the monitor's inbuilt speakers). Do I need a different cable or adaptor or something? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Is this for a desktop computer or something?
Connect the speakers to the source of the sound.
Reply 2
Check the settings on the monitor to see if there is a menu to select whether the audio is output to the monitor speakers or through the audio output socket.
Original post by Iqbal007
Is this for a desktop computer or something?
Connect the speakers to the source of the sound.

Hi, thank you for replying. :smile:

It is for a playstation 4. I have connected my console to my monitor using a hdmi cable, but my monitor has poor quality speakers so I want to re-route the sound through external speakers. I can't connect the speakers directly to the source of the sound (the playstation 4) because the speakers just have a 3.5mm audio input and the playstation only has an optical audio output - unless there is some kind of adapter or something you can get?
Reply 4

It is for a playstation 4. I have connected my console to my monitor using a hdmi cable, but my monitor has poor quality speakers so I want to re-route the sound through external speakers. I can't connect the speakers directly to the source of the sound (the playstation 4) because the speakers just have a 3.5mm audio input and the playstation only has an optical audio output - unless there is some kind of adapter or something you can get?

Try what these guys suggest. https://www.avforums.com/threads/digital-optical-to-3-5-mm-female.1677306/

Thanks. That's a lot of stuff I'll have to buy just to get the sound through my speakers though. I still don't really understand why simply connecting the audio output from the monitor straight to the audio input on the speakers using a 3.5mm cable hasn't worked... It works with headphones.
Reply 6
Thanks. That's a lot of stuff I'll have to buy just to get the sound through my speakers though. I still don't really understand why simply connecting the audio output from the monitor straight to the audio input on the speakers using a 3.5mm cable hasn't worked... It works with headphones.

What are the external speakers?
Reply 8

I have them. Good choice :wink:

I'm not really sure why the speakers don't work if the headphones do. Tried another cable? Maybe the cable is faulty? I assume you've tried both inputs on the speakers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dhr90
I have them. Good choice :wink:

I'm not really sure why the speakers don't work if the headphones do. Tried another cable? Maybe the cable is faulty? I assume you've tried both inputs on the speakers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?! That's quite a coincidence! :smile:

Do have them connected to your console?

Both the speakers and my monitor came with a 3.5mm audio cable and I have tried both of them and neither worked. But yeah, I tried plugging my headphones in and they worked fine. I have tried both inputs as well and I used the speakers with my laptop so I know the speakers aren't faulty. It's really weird huh? I guess I might have to wait until my Dad has time to help me, because I'm totally stuck. :colondollar:
Reply 10
Really?! That's quite a coincidence! :smile:

Do have them connected to your console?

Both the speakers and my monitor came with a 3.5mm audio cable and I have tried both of them and neither worked. But yeah, I tried plugging my headphones in and they worked fine. I have tried both inputs as well and I used the speakers with my laptop so I know the speakers aren't faulty. It's really weird huh? I guess I might have to wait until my Dad has time to help me, because I'm totally stuck. :colondollar:

I did at the time with my PS3 (used hdmi for pictures and the rca cable for sound) back home now so just use a tv.

I can't understand why it doesn't work unless the output signal is somehow wrong for the cable. If you find out the problem then I'd like to know as it will likely cause me problems with my PS4 when I move out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hmmmmmm....

Have you tried using the headphone output of the monitor to the speakers?

Or try an optical to 3.5 cable? http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_17?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=optical%20cable%20to%203.5mm%20jack&sprefix=optical+cable+to+%2Celectronics%2C220

However I don't know exactly, but you may require a converter to change the audio from digital to analogue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending