The Student Room Group

History Degree Investment Banking Chances???

Hi!

I'm currently in AS and am considering my University and course for next year. My A' Levels are History, Geography, Maths and English Lit. and my favourite my a mile is History! I'm keen to apply for a History degree to further my passion for the subject, however my dream job is to become an investment banker one day, so I'm not sure whether a more sciencey degree would be better. My university choices are: Glasgow, Birmingham, UCL, Durham and maybe at a long shot Oxbridge, but that's quite a long shot.

Would you say that it is possible to gain a job in investment banking with a History degree from any of these universities, or is there another university which would be more appropriate? My absolute passion is History, but I really want to go into the banking sector!

If not IB, would History at least get me into the finance sector?

Thanks for any responses!
Reply 1
Thank you for any responses!
Reply 2
Someone PLEASE reply, I will give you a green thumb!
Reply 3
If you get into Durham or UCL, yes. Chance of getting into investment banking will be similar if not 100% equal to if you took let's say Finance.

For Investment Banking:
University > Course.

If you have LinkedIn go to this link: https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card

If not, go to this link and scroll down to list: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11133948/Want-to-be-an-investment-banker-Head-to-LSE.html
(edited 9 years ago)
Honestly not a clue! But good lord I regret the day I picked my history A-level!!! please god save me:bawling:

I'm sorry for my irrelevant response, I hope you get some answers!
Reply 5
Original post by iAmanze
If you get into Durham or UCL, yes. Chance of getting into investment banking will be similar if not 100% equal to if you took let's say Finance.

For Investment Banking:
University > Course.

If you have LinkedIn go to this link: https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/gb/undergraduate-investment-banking?trk=edu-rankings-ctg-card

If not, go to this link and scroll down to list: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/11133948/Want-to-be-an-investment-banker-Head-to-LSE.html

Thank you very much for your reply! Do Durham and UCL have good graduate records for IB, and I forgot to ask in my OP, would I need a First to get in? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by BLambert
Thank you very much for your reply! Do Durham and UCL have good graduate records for IB, and I forgot to ask in my OP, would I need a First to get in? :smile:

No, 2:1 is perfectly fine. Only thing you need is leadership qualities aka. leading football team, leading society etc and also a story to portray your passion for what the job will entail.
Reply 7
Original post by iAmanze
No, 2:1 is perfectly fine. Only thing you need is leadership qualities aka. leading football team, leading society etc and also a story to portray your passion for what the job will entail.

Ah, that's great! Can't wait to apply now, thank you very much! I'm sorry that I couldn't green thumb your second post, it doesn't seem to let me. :smile:
Reply 8
Ah, that's great! Can't wait to apply now, thank you very much! I'm sorry that I couldn't green thumb your second post, it doesn't seem to let me. :smile:

No need to, happy to help.
*** Rep this post if you don't like the Daily Mail!!! ***
Hi!

I'm currently in AS and am considering my University and course for next year. My A' Levels are History, Geography, Maths and English Lit. and my favourite my a mile is History! I'm keen to apply for a History degree to further my passion for the subject, however my dream job is to become an investment banker one day, so I'm not sure whether a more sciencey degree would be better. My university choices are: Glasgow, Birmingham, UCL, Durham and maybe at a long shot Oxbridge, but that's quite a long shot.

Would you say that it is possible to gain a job in investment banking with a History degree from any of these universities, or is there another university which would be more appropriate? My absolute passion is History, but I really want to go into the banking sector!

If not IB, would History at least get me into the finance sector?

Thanks for any responses!

I'm currently doing a history degree...and the same response you'll always get is that "there's no future in history"...and that "there's nothing to do with a history degree". Those people are wrong.

Doing a history degree gives you the analytical skills needed, which quite a few companies want.

Since you doing a maths a-level, it might be worth seeing whether you can then do a dual-honors or combined program...if you could do say, History and Economics, that would set you up better for a career in Investment banking.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest