The Student Room Group

Do I need a degree in Medicine to be a Clinical Psychologist?

I'm thinking about becoming a Clinical Psychologist because it seems so interesting to me and challenging. I'm about to pick my A Level choices and I know my choices will greatly affect what I do in the future. I just want to know if I need a medical degree to do this job so I make the right choices. Or is a degree in Clinical Psychology enough?
Original post by lololtolu
I'm thinking about becoming a Clinical Psychologist because it seems so interesting to me and challenging. I'm about to pick my A Level choices and I know my choices will greatly affect what I do in the future. I just want to know if I need a medical degree to do this job so I make the right choices. Or is a degree in Clinical Psychology enough?

No. You need to undertake a psychology degree, accredited by the BPS - see http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?frmAction=results&CourseType=UG&Search_Type=NC

A medical degree is only required for a career as a psychiatrist.

No, as the first responder said, you only need a degree in psychology. However, I think most clinical psychologist openings require some form of postgraduate study (usually PhD) in clinical psychology, but I'm not sure.

As said above, a degree in medicine is only required if you would like to become a psychiatrist. In the NHS, though, psychiatrists and clinical psychologists do work together.
Reply 3
Original post by TheStudent18
No, as the first responder said, you only need a degree in psychology. However, I think most clinical psychologist openings require some form of postgraduate study (usually PhD) in clinical psychology, but I'm not sure.

As said above, a degree in medicine is only required if you would like to become a psychiatrist. In the NHS, though, psychiatrists and clinical psychologists do work together.

Original post by Asklepios
No. You need to undertake a psychology degree, accredited by the BPS - see http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?frmAction=results&CourseType=UG&Search_Type=NC

A medical degree is only required for a career as a psychiatrist.

Thank you both for your help!! Much appreciated.
Thank you both for your help!! Much appreciated.

You're welcome. :smile: If you need any more help, just ask.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending