The Student Room Group

I have ZERO close friends. Is this normal?

Im a female btw so ignore the name :smile: I've always been a person who preferred to have a small circle than a large one. I had 2 best friends in high school but we are no longer in contact as we have all changed and have nothing in common anymore. I made 4 friends in college and I ditched 3 very recently after realising im the only one who actually puts effort in maintaining the friendships (they make zero effort with me yet have time for their other friends). 1 completely stopped talking to me after a tiny misundersanding. Now im at uni (1st year) and ive made alot of acquaintances but just 1 friend :/ I feel like i want friends i have a deep connection with and actually appreciate me and put effort into the relationship. I dont think ive evet had someone as close as that in my life. I feel so lonely right now as i feel like that i have nobody other than my family. I just want a few best friends to share my life with. What should I do?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Thats life I suppose, parting ways of old friends. I suppose getting a girlfriend won't be that bad. A partner to shares experiences with.
Well done for ditching them. Nobody should make all the effort. Life's too short to be dillydallying around people who obviously aren't that bothered. You're firsts year, so making anything more than acquaintances isn't uncommon (it's only January). "Deep connection" friendships take time, a lot more than 2 semesters. I know it's frustrating because you want to skip the getting-to-know stage and dive right into something meaningful, but just keep making new friends and working on those acquaintances. Good luck :tongue: xx
Original post by Direstraights
Thats life I suppose, parting ways of old friends. I suppose getting a girlfriend won't be that bad. A partner to shares experiences with.

Im a straight female
Original post by NeverTooLatte
Well done for ditching them. Nobody should make all the effort. Life's too short to be dillydallying around people who obviously aren't that bothered. You're firsts year, so making anything more than acquaintances isn't uncommon (it's only January). "Deep connection" friendships take time, a lot more than 2 semesters. I know it's frustrating because you want to skip the getting-to-know stage and dive right into something meaningful, but just keep making new friends and working on those acquaintances. Good luck :tongue: xx

How long does it take? :smile:
And any effective tips for making new friends? Im such a nice person and would be a loyal friend but i feel like everyone has close friends except me. If anything, im my own best friend but it gets lonely :frown:
Reply 5
I know everyone says this all the time but joining societies really helps, as you're much more likely to find people you have things in common with so you'll click with them.
Original post by NOONA.
I know everyone says this all the time but joining societies really helps, as you're much more likely to find people you have things in common with so you'll click with them.

Im only a part of 2 societies but found no connection with any of them. Cant join more as its too late :/
Christ. I remember you posting a thread about having only 1 friend before. Sad to see the -1 on the tally :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Yes! What is it with close friends seriously?
Yes. As we grow up, we realise the importance of having a good quality of friends, not quantity. With that expectations get higher, and you realise that lot of your friends actually make little effort in your friendship. You can try improving them, but if they don't work out they'll end up as acquaintances. That's life.
Original post by somemightsay888
Christ. I remember you posting a thread about having only 1 friend before. Sad to see the -1 on the tally :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I still have her but we're not that close unortunately
Original post by SomeStudent
Yes. As we grow up, we realise the importance of having a good quality of friends, not quantity. With that expectations get higher, and you realise that lot of your friends actually make little effort in your friendship. You can try improving them, but if they don't work out they'll end up as acquaintances. That's life.

How do i go about making close friends?
I have zero friends, close or otherwise. Never had any. It's not a big deal, just have to accept it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BOB2014
How do i go about making close friends?

Make effort with one of your acquaintances that you actually like or make new friends by joining societies etc. Meet up with them, be relatable i.e. trust them (if they are trustworthy) and keep in contact with them every once in a while. .
Original post by BOB2014
Im a straight female

My mistake.
I only have my husband. In real life I have no other friends at all.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

I wish I had the male equivalent of a husband :sad:
Well, I have no friends whatsoever. Get on with life and stop worrying about meaningless, unimportant things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Doesn't your husband care that you have a lacking social life? And isnt it detrimental to the relationship as it leads to clinginess and extreme emotional dependence ?
Original post by Afghan Warrior
Well, I have no friends whatsoever. Get on with life and stop worrying about meaningless, unimportant things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Theres nothing wrong with making good (preferrably pious muslim) friends is there?
Humans are social creatures by nature :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest