The Student Room Group

TSR Tennis Society IV

Scroll to see replies

That was a great final. Federer was fortunate at times though - Raonic had multiple break points and if he'd taken any of them he could well have taken the match because he was backing up his serve incredibly well today. He choked in the final game with that DF at a crucial point, but even so I was hugely impressed with him today. He's improved vastly it seems from the baseline and his return is so much better. He hit so many returns for winners that Federer yelled out in frustration after one of them. Be interesting to see if Raonic can keep building on this and take some bg scalps in Australia.
Just don't think I'll ever buy into Raonic, no doubt he's improved and all that but he just doesn't excite me. Fed now chasing Lendl for career wins too.
What a win for Federer, there's the 1000 mark. Very entertaining final, Milos was solid off the ground, literally went for every shot in the 3rd set.
Fed should have closed it out in 2, both players had 4 or 5 break point chances each in the decider, and we were treated to a tense finish.

Also, congrats to Stan Wawrinka for winning the Chennai Open in comfortable style, extending his winning streak in January to 15-0

Good signs all round for the AO!
Very tough first round match for Nadal, Youzhny is very capable so not great for him there. It'd be crazy if we got a Stan v Novak quarter again this year, can't wait to see the drama unfold
Del Potro gets a R4 against Raonic and QF against Djokovic if he gets that far.
And there goes Federer's chances of winning the tournament. Murray, Nadal and Djokovic and not to mention Chardy and Karlovic in the earlier rounds. He couldn't have got a tougher draw.

Djokovic and Nadal both got easier draws.
Has anyone else noticed Rafa's actually looking really skinny atm? Where have his biceps gone???
Interesting draw actually. Nishikori and Raonic rank much higher in most people's eyes nowadays so Novak isn't that much better off having them in his draw along with defending champ Wawrinka. Still, he's the default favourite.
The only reason the bottom half looks stacked is because of 3 names - I suspect Murray will have a good tournament, still not sure about Nadal - with the exception of Youzhny (R1) and Rosol (R3) his section doesn't seem so bad, but says himself that he could crash out as he's not feeling ready to win
Original post by Krish4791
Interesting draw actually. Nishikori and Raonic rank much higher in most people's eyes nowadays so Novak isn't that much better off having them in his draw along with defending champ Wawrinka. Still, he's the default favourite.
The only reason the bottom half looks stacked is because of 3 names - I suspect Murray will have a good tournament, still not sure about Nadal - with the exception of Youzhny (R1) and Rosol (R3) his section doesn't seem so bad, but says himself that he could crash out as he's not feeling ready to win
Yeah I agree your analysis, I look forward to it all getting underway on Monday :smile:
Original post by Multitalented me
Yeah I agree your analysis, I look forward to it all getting underway on Monday :smile:

Yeah, so am I - after last year's tournament I'm feeling even more excited about 2015 as it just seems to be getting more open :smile:
Original post by Krish4791
Yeah, so am I - after last year's tournament I'm feeling even more excited about 2015 as it just seems to be getting more open :smile:
Yeah exactly, this tourney & the 2015 season will be great I feel :biggrin: We have Delpo back as well, although I wouldn't expect too much from him just yet. Obviously you've got Nishikori & Raonic who will only get better in addition to Dimitrov & I'm also interested in how the likes of Kyrgios/Goffin/Vesely/Theim will do this season :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Cant wait for AO, been waiting for the tennis season to get back underway for a while now!
Just wondering, do any of you guys play tennis aswell or, is it just a hobby to watch?
Delpo has pulled out citing injury. Weep for Delpo I do.

GeordiaFan I play tennis as well as watching it; I play in my club's internal league tournaments and also play some doubles against other teams in the county. :smile:
Delpo came back a bit too soon. It's good that he has pulled out tbh.
Original post by GeordieFan
Cant wait for AO, been waiting for the tennis season to get back underway for a while now!
Just wondering, do any of you guys play tennis aswell or, is it just a hobby to watch?

I think most people play tennis of some form on here. I play for my uni, despite not being the GOAT. What about you?
Original post by hskjlclcn
I think most people play tennis of some form on here. I play for my uni, despite not being the GOAT. What about you?

I just watch tennis. I'm awful at sport hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WriterOfWrongs

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fair enough, tennis is a good one for everyone just to be able to watch. To be honest I took up playing it fairly late compared to most!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You could still play for fun aha? :tongue:
Original post by Multitalented me
You could still play for fun aha? :tongue:

Maybe at uni haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe at uni haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well tbh, I'm one of these people that watches a lot of sports without actually playing :erm: Wish I'd played more when I was younger haha, still you can get better with practice & it's good for fitness as well :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest