The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Peter rocks
LGBT people will never be accepted by the society. Those posters that say that the reason this school shouldn't be build is because it won't help straight people accept LGBT people are dead wrong. There will ALWAYS be people who will dislike and hate LGBT people, so i don't know about the all the acceptance and tackling bullying that people are blabbing about on this site. It just doesn't make sense.

The only valid reasons for disagreeing with this idea, is that it will have an impact on their career/employment, and that it will reveal their sexuality to people, not everyone wants people to know they are gay or lesbian. There is NO other legit reason for not wanting to build this school.

Although there most likely will always be people who do not accept LGBT students, does it not make sense to still try and always improve? Work towards tolerance, rather than give up because it will never be perfect?
Original post by AspiringMedic8
It absolutely is. Do you have no experience of the education system?

Yes. I'm a teacher. You are incorrect. Homophobic bullying is not ingrained in the education system at all and it is no more prevalent than other forms of bullying. Why cant you accept that the vast majority of pupils face bullying through school? You make it sound like homosexual pupils are singled out for bullying when they're not. Many teenagers face it.

And you can link me those reports all you like but its of course going to be biased when it comes from Stonewall, 'Stonewall working for equality and justice for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.'

Why have they not mentioned how Muslims get bullied?
Why have they not mentioned how ginger and fat people get bullied?
Why have they not mentioned the pupils who get bullied for what they wear on non school uniform days or listen to?

Oh right, they haven't because it would then expose the myth that homosexual pupils have it far worse. I can assure you they do not. The pupils who get it the worst in schools are teenage girls who (a) have to put up with the sexist banter of young horny boys and (b) have to put up with the bitching and grouping together from other girls in the school.
Original post by friendsfan08
Although there most likely will always be people who do not accept LGBT students, does it not make sense to still try and always improve? Work towards tolerance, rather than give up because it will never be perfect?

What i find comical is the people who say that we should mix LGBT people with Straights to teach them how to deal with homophobia and make others understand that gay people are normal. Firstly, religious/Asian people will Never learn to treat LGBT students or people in general as equals, and this is a hard fact because you can't change religions and cultures.

Secondly, IF we will achieve tolerance and equality(Europe, Oceania and North/South America) which i highly doubt we will, then it will take at least 20-30 years. It won't be anytime soon, and LGBT community will need to go through lots of discrimination, this is also a brute fact while afterwards there will still be Homophones just like there are still racists.

Finally, the world is a corrupt place, and those that say we should teach people to accept the minorities are basically saying we should let them be bullied and discriminated because whether you want to see it or not, generally people will NOT like two gays holding hands close them, or kissing each other near them and this is another brute fact. Hell i think that you can get killed in Egypt if you commit homosexual act, i think. Overall, i have no complains about building this school. Other than LGBT students will be easily identified and as i said employers refusing to hire LGBT students, this would be the only discrimination they would be facing, except the norm they are already getting.
Original post by Chlorophile
I think a lot of people are missing the point. I don't think this is for people who simply want to go to a LGBT school for the hell of it, I'm guessing it's a school for people who have been consistently and seriously bullied for their sexuality to the point where they literally couldn't cope in a mainstream school and the alternative for them would be home-schooling.

Regardless, many of the statements still stand. If a person has such a school on their CV then they're open to be discriminated by employers. Thats a fact of life. How will it ever be proven that was the reason they were discriminated against? There are already schools for vulnerable students so why cant they go there if they're struggling to cope in a mainstream school?

It is of course wrong but many employers will not only discriminate due to their sexuality but they'll also do so on their state of mind. If a student has attended such a school then an employer may easily see them as vulnerable, weak and unable to cope with what many deem is 'banter'. These people exist in the real world and in the cut throat private sector they're everywhere at the top. They get to the top because of their cut throat attitude.

Just like many employers now will not employ women because they see them as emotional or a risk due to possibly getting pregnant etc. this system will see people not employed because of their sexuality or how they're perceived before an interview is even given. Of course this is wrong but thats life and many things in the world at the moment, even in Western society, are wrong.
Original post by Das Auto
Regardless, many of the statements still stand. If a person has such a school on their CV then they're open to be discriminated by employers. Thats a fact of life. How will it ever be proven that was the reason they were discriminated against? There are already schools for vulnerable students so why cant they go there if they're struggling to cope in a mainstream school?

It is of course wrong but many employers will not only discriminate due to their sexuality but they'll also do so on their state of mind. If a student has attended such a school then an employer may easily see them as vulnerable, weak and unable to cope with what many deem is 'banter'. These people exist in the real world and in the cut throat private sector they're everywhere at the top. They get to the top because of their cut throat attitude.

Just like many employers now will not employ women because they see them as emotional or a risk due to possibly getting pregnant etc. this system will see people not employed because of their sexuality or how they're perceived before an interview is even given. Of course this is wrong but thats life and many things in the world at the moment, even in Western society, are wrong.

Honestly, I think the above is an exaggeration but even if it isn't, you're acting as if these students have a choice. If I am correct and this really is for students who are going there out of desperation, as an only alternative to dropping out of school altogether, they haven't got a choice. An education - even if people discriminate against them because of it - is better than no education.
Yes. I'm a teacher. You are incorrect. Homophobic bullying is not ingrained in the education system at all and it is no more prevalent than other forms of bullying. Why cant you accept that the vast majority of pupils face bullying through school? You make it sound like homosexual pupils are singled out for bullying when they're not. Many teenagers face it.

And you can link me those reports all you like but its of course going to be biased when it comes from Stonewall, 'Stonewall working for equality and justice for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.'

Why have they not mentioned the pupils who get bullied for what they wear on non school uniform days or listen to?

Oh right, they haven't because it would then expose the myth that homosexual pupils have it far worse. I can assure you they do not. The pupils who get it the worst in schools are teenage girls who (a) have to put up with the sexist banter of young horny boys and (b) have to put up with the bitching and grouping together from other girls in the school.

Wow.... you are wrong here on many levels, to me you sound like an sexist hence your victimization of girls, no offense but the forms of bullying you have mentioned are FAR too insignificant to be considered serious. I see boys teasing girls all the times, and girls don't take it as a big deal, i don't think i would consider this a form of bullying. Your second suggestion might be true, so i have nothing to say about that but there are worse forms of bullying such as physical bullying.

As to your comparisons, You can change your religion ( although not likely), you can lose weight, you can wear different clothes and you can change the color of your hair as well as listen to different music. Now can you change your race or sexual orientation? NO, therefore your comparisons are rather poor i would say and that's why they are not mentioned in the report.

I consider being bullied for wearing different clothes and listening to different music a very bad comparison because those things are easily changeable, and don't require much effort at all. Now, i can accept bullying because you are fat or worship a different god as serious, because those things are very hard to change, but possible if the person wants it, especially losing weight, but there is 0% change in changing from being gay to normal, same from going from black to white. And not just that but there is a lot of discrimination going on generally not in just schools, but in the outside world for people who are LGBT, and this doesn't apply to any of the things you mentioned except maybe being fat i think.
What a stupid idea. No, there should be no LGBT schools.
"LGBTs are equal! Don't discriminate against them! Now let's put them into special schools! But they're not different!"
Please
Also, a kid's sexual orientation is not always determined from a young age. As one of the first posters said, it would also open many kids to the promiscuity within the homosexual world at a very early age (this might sound horrible and I'm sorry if it does! I'm obviously not homophobic but against the exclusion of students for their orientations, beliefs and so on).
Original post by Peter rocks
Wow.... you are wrong here on many levels, to me you sound like an sexist hence your victimization of girls, no offense but the forms of bullying you have mentioned are FAR too insignificant to be considered serious. I see boys teasing girls all the times, and girls don't take it as a big deal, i don't think i would consider this a form of bullying. Your second suggestion might be true, so i have nothing to say about that but there are worse forms of bullying such as physical bullying.

As to your comparisons, You can change your religion ( although not likely), you can lose weight, you can wear different clothes and you can change the color of your hair as well as listen to different music. Now can you change your race or sexual orientation? NO, therefore your comparisons are rather poor i would say and that's why they are not mentioned in the report.

I consider being bullied for wearing different clothes and listening to different music a very bad comparison because those things are easily changeable, and don't require much effort at all. Now, i can accept bullying because you are fat or worship a different god as serious, because those things are very hard to change, but possible if the person wants it, especially losing weight, but there is 0% change in changing from being gay to normal, same from going from black to white. And not just that but there is a lot of discrimination going on generally not in just schools, but in the outside world for people who are LGBT, and this doesn't apply to any of the things you mentioned except maybe being fat i think.

I totally agreed with everything you wrote...expect when you went on to say "changing from being gay to normal". there's nothing abnormal about being gay. you probably (I hope) didn't mean to be offensive, but still...
No, they need to teach people that being homophobic is not okay and kick out the bullying ********s. How can one person stand up against a full crowd of people who humiliate them?

That's quite different from just siphoning LGBT and other minority students into a school of their own, isn't it?

Besides, it's unreasonable to expect that bullying will ever be eradicated from the world entirely. So one needs to be able to live in a world where it exists. Isolating yourself from mainstream society for a while doesn't help with that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KingStannis
Perhaps my experience is atypical (I went to an all boys secondary school; it was a very good one, but nevertheless all boys) but that sounds pretty tame. I had worse than that done to me; by far, and i wasn't even one of the worst. This one fat kid used to get his clothes dunked in the toilets after PE and he would have to continue the rest of the day wearing wet clothes that had been in piss. Another kid, he was skinny, got tied up with ties and put in the cubourd during lessons and then get told off by the teacher for skipping class. That was just standard banter.

That's not normal, and it disgusts me you have the audacity to call it banter. Repulsive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 132
As an lgbt person I think this idea is ridiculous. Two steps back. If there needs to be a school for the protection of bullied kids ( though I think schools should deal with this issue) then it should be open to victims of all types of bullying regardless of sexuality.

Lgbt should be normalised.

Is there an epidemic of gingers, or Muslims, or fat people committing suicide right now?

You're an insult to the profession, and you're deluded.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chlorophile
Honestly, I think the above is an exaggeration but even if it isn't, you're acting as if these students have a choice. If I am correct and this really is for students who are going there out of desperation, as an only alternative to dropping out of school altogether, they haven't got a choice. An education - even if people discriminate against them because of it - is better than no education.

I agree. This user is clearly a trolling homophobe. Nearly all of his posts are to do with opposing anything LGBT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're an idiot, anyway, because you've not read the article and have no knowledge of these proposals. This school will be for 40 young people who would otherwise drop out of school or commit suicide because of the relentless bullying they are experiencing. I'm surprised you're even a teacher with such poor intelligence. Pity the children who are subjected to your misinformation!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's not normal, and it disgusts me you have the audacity to call it banter. Repulsive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I live in the real world where people aren't always nice to each other. You're naive.
Original post by TheTechN1304
I totally agreed with everything you wrote...expect when you went on to say "changing from being gay to normal". there's nothing abnormal about being gay. you probably (I hope) didn't mean to be offensive, but still...

Of course it isn't, i just thought saying "normal" would make a bigger effect on people in realizing that the comparisons the teacher wrote in his post are laughable.
Sorry but the level of bullying you expressed is definitely abnormal. The harshest thing that happened to me is that i was pushed hardly to the wall in the school corridor. The reason you think the way you do is because you have seen and experienced some terrible things while you were at school and you seem to think that's the real life, while in reality it's not.
Nope! Most LGBT seek to be integrated with society. Why single them out by having a different school for them?

Latest

Trending

Trending