The Student Room Group

1000 cal a day for 2 months!!

hey guys

i am 17 years old i weigh 63.5 kg and i am 5 foot 6 my aim is to reach 56/55 kg.

is this a good aim? and is 56kg okay for my age and height?

thanks in advance

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
how many pounds am i going to lose per week if i eat 1000 calories a day? note that i don't excersize

and how much would i lose if i do this for 2 months would i lose more than 15 pounds ? would i be less than 55 kg?
That's really unhealthy. I have a feeling that you'd be lcassed as underweight too.
First off, are you a girl or a guy?

63.5kg at 17 years old, even at 5ft 6, is a healthy weight. I don't think you need to lose any weight, especially at your age.

If you really, really, really, really, must feel like you want to get more toned etc, then cut for a little bit. Cut out red meat, fatty foods, carbs (as much as possible, especially bad ones) etc.

Burning 1000 calories a day, is to be desired anyway, however, if you want to just eat 1000 calories a day for two months...that would be very bad. You'd screw with your metabolism, at a time when you're still growing., and if you're going from 2000-2500 straight down to 1000 calories a day...it would be really bad. There's the 5:2 which a few people find success with...eating normally for 5 days, and limiting it to 1000 calories for 2 days a week.

But personally, you'd be better off going down to like, 1500-1800 calories a day, rather than giving your body such a shock going from 2000-2500 to 1000, if of course you really, really, really, really, must feel like you need to lose some weight or tone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Its probably around 500-700 below your BMR depending on if you are female or male.

But BMI you're currently fairly healthy.

http://www.cockeyed.com/photos/bodies/506-140.html

That's people whom are your height and weight. Id say they look pretty good to be honest.

Normally a -500 calorie deficit from your BMR is fine. However given how little it is to start with its a bit on the old keen side. Id say 200-300 cut would be better.
Also. You wont loose that amount of weight in that time unless your calorie deficit is -1000. Honestly its a bad move. A really bad move to do that.

I lost 5 stone in a year and it made me really unwell. I really don't advise people do it.
Wouldn't your body go into starvation mode if you ate that little?
If you want to lose weight fast and unhealthy, then yes. If you want to build muscle, then no. Make sure you cut down sugars and eat plenty of veg. Fat burns fat.
Reply 8
Original post by jammy4041
First off, are you a girl or a guy?

63.5kg at 17 years old, even at 5ft 6, is a healthy weight. I don't think you need to lose any weight, especially at your age.

If you really, really, really, really, must feel like you want to get more toned etc, then cut for a little bit. Cut out red meat, fatty foods, carbs (as much as possible, especially bad ones) etc.

Burning 1000 calories a day, is to be desired anyway, however, if you want to just eat 1000 calories a day for two months...that would be very bad. You'd screw with your metabolism, at a time when you're still growing., and if you're going from 2000-2500 straight down to 1000 calories a day...it would be really bad. There's the 5:2 which a few people find success with...eating normally for 5 days, and limiting it to 1000 calories for 2 days a week.

But personally, you'd be better off going down to like, 1500-1800 calories a day, rather than giving your body such a shock going from 2000-2500 to 1000, if of course you really, really, really, really, must feel like you need to lose some weight or tone.

hey there! thanks for the reply and yeah am a girl. would it really be that bad though i thought 1000 cal would be a good idea i mean as long as i am not hungry then it wont be that bad would it?
Original post by noey123
hey there! thanks for the reply and yeah am a girl. would it really be that bad though i thought 1000 cal would be a good idea i mean as long as i am not hungry then it wont be that bad would it?

I think it's bad from the perspective that it would be too much weight loss too soon. If you try to aim for 1700 calories a day, but make them "good" calories, with not much red meat, saturated fat, and go for low gi foods, but for longer, than that would be more workable. Too much too soon, would be very bad for your metabolism and would mess with your body too much.
Original post by noey123
how many pounds am i going to lose per week if i eat 1000 calories a day? note that i don't excersize

and how much would i lose if i do this for 2 months would i lose more than 15 pounds ? would i be less than 55 kg?

You would lose around 3-5 pounds a week. Yes you would hit your target, however being able to maintain this is another thing.
Original post by iAmanze
You would lose around 3-5 pounds a week. Yes you would hit your target, however being able to maintain this is another thing.

How do you work that one out? More like 2 max and that is the absolute limit. Average your weight at the same point each day with the same parameters over the course of 7 days to find an indication of true weight.
Original post by Sam Walters
How do you work that one out? More like 2 max and that is the absolute limit. Average your weight at the same point each day with the same parameters over the course of 7 days to find an indication of true weight.

2 lb is the recommended 'safe' amount you should loose in a week. Not at all anywhere near the limit. Do not comment on things you do not have information on.
Not healthy. Even if you were being aggressive with the fat loss, 1300 a day is probably the lowest you should be going.
You want to lose weight at about 1.2kg per week. You need to create a deficit of 1320 kcal per day. Your daily energy requirement is about 2300 kcal.
If I were you, id eat 1250 calories per day and exercise 250 kcal per day. You'd reach your target and eat a reasonable amount.
Reply 15
1000 calories per day is a recipe for disaster. To be frank, it's a stupid idea. You will put your body into starvation mode and will lose weight in an ugly way: yes, there is such a thing. There is a right and wrong way to do everything, pick the right way or you will regret it. There's a reason why everyone says it: a HEALTHY diet and exercise is the best way to lose weight.
Original post by iAmanze
2 lb is the recommended 'safe' amount you should loose in a week. Not at all anywhere near the limit. Do not comment on things you do not have information on.

My information comes from real world experience not what I've read on the internet. Try doing 2lbs a week if you are not huge and see what it does. Ive done it. Felt fine at first. But as soon as I dropped below 15 stone I felt awful and had to back it right off.

Starving yourself. Bad move. To loose 3-5 lbs in a week the calorie deficit would have to be higher than is shown here more like 1000-1500 a day rather than the 500-700 proposed. I don't fully agree with the 3500 calories per lb rule as there are far too many variables to account for such as glycogen (loosing water weight initially) and the fact body fat is not simply just fat. Then you have to consider lean muscle mass yada yada yada. But its not a bad place to start.

3-5lbs.....2-4 times an exaggeration of what will happen past the initial glycogen munch.

Something I don't have information on?

I don't bother dieting any more OP. All I bother with is not having any processed sugar in my diet and sensible meal portions. I'm still loosing weight and judging by how quickly I am loosing weight I should level out at 11 stone. My original target.

To the original poster:

Listen to what jammy4041 has to say. I'm not sure about the 5:2 diet though mind. Do not listen to iAmanze. He doesn't know what hes talking about and in fact is happy to provide you unsafe and incorrect information.
Original post by iAmanze

Original post by iAmanze

2lbs a week is 'safe' and doable if you're bigger and therefore have a much higher BMR/TDEE. For example I can eat 1500kcal, lay in my bed all day and I would still lose 2+lbs a week.

She doesn't exercise, therefore TDEE is based pretty much entirely on BMR and some basic level of activity, walking around the house/college etc. A 1.55 activity modifier gives a TDEE of 2300kcal, which is being incredibly generous, it's realistically <2000Kcal.

At best it results in a 1300kcal deficit, more than likely a <1000kcal deficit. Which equals 2-2.5lbs a week, tops, more likely about 1.5lbs. That is assuming that she doesn't eat more than 1000kcal, which isn't exactly a lot of food, and it would be easy to slightly overeat, or more likely give in to food cravings and stuff her face.

Ignoring the fact that losing 5lbs a week is just stupid (for anybody other than somebody incredibly obese), it just isn't humanly possible for her to lose that much. Even if she didn't eat at all (literally zero calories), it's still only going to result in 4lbs a week loss. To lose 3 lbs a week ,let alone 5, while eating 1000kcal she would need to be burning 500kcal a day from exercise, which is a lot at her size, probably close to a 5mile jog for example, every single day. To lose 5lbs a week while eating 1000kcal she would need to burn 1500kcal a day from exercise, she would be getting on for a 10-12 mile run to burn that much, every single day. She would be in hospital within a week.
Original post by noey123

This is women magazine logic.

Your BMR (what you should be eating) is 1500-2000 depending on your height and lifestyle. Aim to eat in that range and then simply walk for an hour per day.
Original post by OU Student
Wouldn't your body go into starvation mode if you ate that little?

Original post by kimiaak
You will put your body into starvation mode and will lose weight in an ugly way: yes, there is such a thing.

Do you have scientific evidence for the existence of starvation mode? And by scientific I don't mean articles on weight loss forums saying "don't eat too little or you'll go into starvation mode".

It is impossible not to lose weight if you're burning more than you're eating. Your body cannot and will not run off nothing. If the energy is not immediately accessible, it has to break down fat stores (and probably muscle and lean tissues as well, but that's the risk we take). If starvation mode was a thing, how would people in third world, or those with eating disorders, get so thin?

To lose weight in a way that would probably be more aesthetically pleasing, eating a little more but also exercising is a great idea. It's also better for your state of mind to eat more, as you're very unlikely to ever feel full if you're only eating 1,000 cals a day. It does get pretty miserable. Much better to eat more and exercise - as exercise makes you feel better anyway!

EDIT: I'm not saying eating 1,000 cals a day is a good idea. It's not. But not because of starvation mode.

Quick Reply

Latest