The Student Room Group

I heard rumors that examiners are underpayed and unmotivated

people that are trying to grind through all the papers as fast as possible instead of marking them accurately. To what extent is this true? Because it would seem pretty ****ty to have a piece of paper that a student's entire future rest upon being rushed through by some underpayed unmotivated guy not too bothered about making sure they are marked accurately
Reply 1
Original post by HLN_Radium
people that are trying to grind through all the papers as fast as possible instead of marking them accurately. To what extent is this true? Because it would seem pretty ****ty to have a piece of paper that a student's entire future rest upon being rushed through by some underpayed unmotivated guy not too bothered about making sure they are marked accurately

They'll try to do it quickly since they have a lot of papers to get through but also as accurately as possible. The mark difference between them rushing and taking their time wouldn't be much. Your future won't be effected.
Reply 2
They keep threatening industrial action. Corrected further down.

[deleted incorrect references section]

Edit: I was thinking of Uni markers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simes
They keep threatening industrial action.

Not the same people
All of the a level and gcse marker choose voluntarily to do it and if unhappy with the terms and conditions they just don't do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HLN_Radium

Every teacher that I know who marks exam papers takes their responsibility extremely seriously. As In all things in life, I imagine there are some bad apples who don't. There are review processes in place to monitor and if necessary correct the accuracy of marking that are supposed to identify any markers who are not performing to the required standard. Consistently poor markers are dropped. It's clear that some errors slip through because there are many stories about huge jumps in marks and grades after remarks. If you think your work has not received the grade it deserves, request a remark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Groot
They'll try to do it quickly since they have a lot of papers to get through but also as accurately as possible. The mark difference between them rushing and taking their time wouldn't be much. Your future won't be effected.

It is a continuum with quick at one end and slow at the other. The closer the examiner stands to quick (and far to slow) the more likely he is to make mistakes and the closer he is to slow (and far to quick) the less likely he is to make mistakes. And if the papers are not double checked and examiners are rushing, it could make a difference between getting a B or a C.
Reply 6
They have checks and moderation, so if an examiner was making many mistakes they would be found out and further action would be taken. So examiners are going to as fast as they can whilst also being careful. They won't want to rush and make silly errors

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Juichiro
It is a continuum with quick at one end and slow at the other. The closer the examiner stands to quick (and far to slow) the more likely he is to make mistakes and the closer he is to slow (and far to quick) the less likely he is to make mistakes. And if the papers are not double checked and examiners are rushing, it could make a difference between getting a B or a C.

If it's close to grade boundaries they'll have another look to try to find the marks that you need to cross the boundary.
Reply 8
well my old history teacher who's an examiner said he gets paid £4 a paper
Reply 9
Geography teacher told me it's £0.50 a paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest