The Student Room Group

TSR guys should be feminists

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't complain about feminism, however I don't identify as a feminist because it doesn't sit right with me that a movement that aims for equality should have its name derived from only one of the sexes. Which is why I'd rather identify as an egalitarian instead of a feminist, despite agreeing with most of the points in the OP.

At the same time, I haven't personally encountered many feminists who are after actual equality. It seems you either get a man-hater or a woman paying lip service to feminism in order to seem modern while expecting the man to adhere to his gender stereotype by paying for her, initiating every time, etc.
Original post by ClickItBack
I have an acquaintance from university on Facebook who is probably the only person in my circles who would consider herself a 'serious feminist'. Her posts are more misandrist than you can possibly imagine.

e.g. quoting the following story:

" I called the agency and the guy who had sent me along from the agency called me back 10 minutes later from his car and he said ‘look I’m sorry, I know you’ve travelled to London and you’ve wasted your time but she is basically something we come across a lot in the public sector, which is that they will abuse their position to appoint women and almost never men. They would rather, they would rather give a job to an incompetent women than a competent man. And this particular woman has never been known to take on a man.’"

Followed by 'tbh she sounds like a hero to me', with 15 likes on that from her circle of like-minded people.

And a response to that post was a 'Kill all men' pic (not ironically posted) which garnered likes as well (though, thankfully, fewer than 15).

I know some people on TSR come across badly, but I don't think there is anywhere near the amount of misogyny as there is misandry amongst the most active self-proclaimed feminists.

can confirm a friend posting misandrist pics and even my sister buying into the 'a Real man [is my bitch]' from Tumblr. Troubling
What is it with feminists trying to tell people they must be a feminist?

You can believe that people deserve equal rights under the law and NOT be a feminist. Like most normal people.
Original post by cnova
You said "They feel threatened" in response to someone talking about men.

I've seen plenty of articles and blogs, they're everywhere. What you just mentioned is talked about by (not exact figure but you get it) 1% of feminists, the rest is all about women being able to do this and that. As you just stated Feminism was created all for the females hence why I stated that people should go for a cause with equality for all in mind aka egalitarianism.

Yes because that is the attitude most anti-feminists have, male or not. My ex for example didn't like that I pointed out sexism in video games because it critiqued something he loved and that he saw as having nothing problematic in them.

It seriously is not 1% of feminists, the broad range of topics covered is known as intersectional feminism and when people are not appreciative of that they're considered a ****ty feminist and most people call them out. Feminism does have all equality in mind but the majority of issues discussed with in feminism are not going to be about males because we live in a patriarchy and females are disadvantaged a lot more societally then men are.

If you disagree with the idea of patriarchy then fine, you disagree with the idea of feminism - but if your idea of feminism is from arguments with people who claim to be feminist but then expect the guy to pay for everything on the date then please do some more research because that is NOT feminism.
Original post by Smash Bandicoot
You are a feminist, you've been reasonable throughout, can you please share some sources of mainstream feminist groups advocating men's rights please? The gents above are being guarded.

I'm guessing by groups you mean like facebook groups and the like? Well this is one I like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/everydayfeminism
Original post by taylorg292
Yes because that is the attitude most anti-feminists have, male or not. My ex for example didn't like that I pointed out sexism in video games because it critiqued something he loved and that he saw as having nothing problematic in them.

I can't even begin to imagine how annoying it must be trying to play battlefield having your gf moaning in your ear about how all the characters are men or whatever bull**** applied in your situation.

Who gives a **** really? All i know is i played so many games growing up with "strong leading female characters" i was actually surprised to find out women are so weak irl.

Feminism does have all equality in mind but the majority of issues discussed with in feminism are not going to be about males because we live in a patriarchy and females are disadvantaged a lot more societally then men are.

No we don't and no they aren't.

You're a great example of why people don't agree with feminists.
I believe in some of the feminist agenda but I do not believe focusing on one gender is the way to achieve equality. Males and females have issues with equality, the only way to achieve this, in my opinion, is through focusing on both genders. I am against the notion if you solve all of females equality issues it will solve men's.

How do you know this?

From what you've said so far, it just seems like you suspected it, and your boyfriend confirmed your suspicion.
I'm guessing by groups you mean like facebook groups and the like? Well this is one I like on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/everydayfeminism

Have you read the **** that they post?

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/01/being-called-cis-is-not-oppressive/

3. It encourages Cis People to Check their Privilege

:rofl:

Original post by Spetznaaz
I can't even begin to imagine how annoying it must be trying to play battlefield having your gf moaning in your ear about how all the characters are men or whatever bull**** applied in your situation.

Who gives a **** really? All i know is i played so many games growing up with "strong leading female characters" i was actually surprised to find out women are so weak irl.

No we don't and no they aren't.

You're a great example of why people don't agree with feminists.

How do you know I wasn't the one playing battlefield? I never 'moaned' at him either, nice use of a sexist stereotype there. And please let me know what games you were playing during your childhood with strong leading female charactres bar Lara Croft, because I would like to play them. I'm genuinely sorry the majority female population isn't strong enough to drop kick you in the face.

We have a largely male government, most institutions are male headed, men hold majority economic power. By definition, yes we live in a patriarchy. If you don't want want to be a feminist then that's fine but no need to be rude.

Yeah I have, I liked the page because I wanted to read the articles...

You don't think it's important to be like 'oh wait my life is a bit less ****ty because I identify with the gender I was born with, I'm probably not going to get stabbed by some person who disagrees with the way I dress or act how nice for me' once in a while?
How do you know I wasn't the one playing battlefield? I never 'moaned' at him either, nice use of a sexist stereotype there. And please let me know what games you were playing during your childhood with strong leading female charactres bar Lara Croft, because I would like to play them. I'm genuinely sorry the majority female population isn't strong enough to drop kick you in the face.

We have a largely male government, most institutions are male headed, men hold majority economic power. By definition, yes we live in a patriarchy. If you don't want want to be a feminist then that's fine but no need to be rude.

Well, statistically it is much more likely he was the one playing BF and I'm sure most people don't like to consider themselves to be moaning, even when they are.

Well Lara Croft of course, loved those games, but i remember others - All the fighting games i used to play (Tekken is one i remember off the top of my head) and some resident evils if i remember correctly.

Curious how you'd like to play a game simply because of the sex of the characters - it's so irrelevant, although it is highly unrealistic when you have females physically overpowering men (all throughout gaming and films).

You sound like you have a repressed hatred for men, you know..

I stand by "patriarchy" being a load of bs, also i noticed you didn't try and mention how women are disadvantaged more than men.
Original post by Spetznaaz
Well, statistically it is much more likely he was the one playing BF and I'm sure most people don't like to consider themselves to be moaning, even when they are.

Well Lara Croft of course, loved those games, but i remember others - All the fighting games i used to play (Tekken is one i remember off the top of my head) and some resident evils if i remember correctly.

Curious how you'd like to play a game simply because of the sex of the characters - it's so irrelevant, although it is highly unrealistic when you have females physically overpowering men (all throughout gaming and films).

You sound like you have a repressed hatred for men, you know..

I stand by "patriarchy" being a load of bs, also i noticed you didn't try and mention how women are disadvantaged more than men.

Actually it's been statistically proven that roughly half of gamers are women, but video games have always been catered towards men. You could only think of two video game series that had leading female characters in them off the top of your head. I don't choose not to play video games because of the sex of the characters - if I did I wouldn't be playing many at all. I also played Tekken when I was younger and I remember wondering why Christie Monteiro's boobs didn't fall out of her top when she did half the Capoeira moves.

Even with video games that actually have female characters I challenge you to think of one where the characters aren't sexualised, the only example I can think of is Mirror's Edge. And why are you so obsessed with female vs male strength? Yeah in general men are biologically stronger than women, but there are also plenty of women who are stronger than men. And please tell me more about how films and video games are meant to be realistic.

Excellent work equating being a feminist with a repressed hatred for men. I also burn my bras regularly. Women are more disadvantaged than men in our society, did you want me to talk more about it?

Could I ask why this matters to you as an individual? Do you think that men being in power disadvantages you personally? Do you think more women in power would - in and of itself - make your life better? Do you feel that I as a male benefit more than you do because people who have the same genitalia as me are more common at the top of society?
Reply 74
Original post by yo radical one
Many TSR have genuine issues when it comes to interacting with women.

If you ever click a girl's profile, you will see these ****ing turbo-virgins making the most awkward conversations with them

Yeah like you're ****ing perfect.

The worst kind of scumbag is the type of guy who seeks the approval of women who will do nothing for him by attacking and hurting other men.

You will never find happiness by sucking up to women, no matter how hard you try, no matter how much you bleat on about equal rights like a freshly chopped eunuch, no matter how much of a self hating man hating arse you present yourself as.

Regardless of what women say, they want someone who is a leader amongst men and someone who lives their own lives and treats women as secondary priorities. They are not attracted to pussies like you who place them on a pedestal.

You keep whining and come across as the repulsor king. Bashing guys for daring to be heterosexual makes you the ultimate turbo virgin.

Just piss off.
Original post by 41b
Yeah like you're ****ing perfect.

The worst kind of scumbag is the type of guy who seeks the approval of women who will do nothing for him by attacking and hurting other men.

You will never find happiness by sucking up to women, no matter how hard you try, no matter how much you bleat on about equal rights like a freshly chopped eunuch, no matter how much of a self hating man hating arse you present yourself as.

Regardless of what women say, they want someone who is a leader amongst men and someone who lives their own lives and treats women as secondary priorities. They are not attracted to pussies like you who place them on a pedestal.

You keep whining and come across as the repulsor king. Bashing guys for daring to be heterosexual makes you the ultimate turbo virgin.

Just piss off.

Yet I'm not the one seething with bitterness and frustration... :wink:
Original post by ClickItBack
Could I ask why this matters to you as an individual? Do you think that men being in power disadvantages you personally? Do you think more women in power would - in and of itself - make your life better? Do you feel that I as a male benefit more than you do because people who have the same genitalia as me are more common at the top of society?

Because I want representation for my gender and issues that matter to me because of it in parliament. Yes to all your questions. It's more than genitalia, you really think it's fair representation and not important for people of all races/gender identities/backgrounds to be represented in government?
Reply 77
Original post by yo radical one
Yet I'm not the one seething with bitterness and frustration... :wink:

How many oestrogen pills do you have to pop daily to come up with an answer like that?
I agree with this notion. Women should definitely to be able to down a pint like a man and not be accused of being un-ladylike.

http://i.imgur.com/irEyZkO.gif

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending