The Student Room Group

Which college offer the most places to read Biochemistry?

I am thinking to apply to univ for Biochemistry. However, there are only 4 places available each year whereas St. Edmund Hall has 6 places available each year. Will applying to St.Edmund Hall increase my chance of being admitted? Also, I would like to know if any other colleges offer more places to read Biochemistry than St.Edmund Hall. Thx a lot !!!!:smile:
Original post by sunnyyiu627
I am thinking to apply to univ for Biochemistry. However, there are only 4 places available each year whereas St. Edmund Hall has 6 places available each year. Will applying to St.Edmund Hall increase my chance of being admitted? Also, I would like to know if any other colleges offer more places to read Biochemistry than St.Edmund Hall. Thx a lot !!!!:smile:

You can see the admissions statistics by college and course here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/college-success-rates

The numbers seem to fluctuate year on year, but Trinity took 6 Biochemists for 2012 and 2013, and 5 in 2011.

College choice does not affect one's chances of getting into Oxford per se because of the pooling mechanisms. It may affect your chances of getting into that specific college, but the Biochemistry intake per college is relatively small, so there might be a lot of fluctuation year on year in terms of % admitted. .

TL: DR Just apply to the college you like best.
Original post by mishieru07
You can see the admissions statistics by college and course here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-admissions-statistics/college-success-rates

The numbers seem to fluctuate year on year, but Trinity took 6 Biochemists for 2012 and 2013, and 5 in 2011.

College choice does not affect one's chances of getting into Oxford per se because of the pooling mechanisms. It may affect your chances of getting into that specific college, but the Biochemistry intake per college is relatively small, so there might be a lot of fluctuation year on year in terms of % admitted. .

TL: DR Just apply to the college you like best.

Actually, New College is my favourite one. However the admission seems to be more competitive than the others... :s-smilie:
Actually, New College is my favourite one. However the admission seems to be more competitive than the others... :s-smilie:

If you use the website the other poster linked you to and look at the percentages for those who who applied to the college that got in per each year, you'll see that not only is New College not more competitive than Trinity (and often not more competitive than St Edmund Hall) but that the statistics of how many apply to a college each year and the % of those that are accepted varies each year.

The point the other poster was trying to make is that it is impossible to play the numbers game - if you apply to Wadham because it was the highest % got in that applied there in 2013, probably other people will do the same and therefore competition for Wadham places will be fiercer than usual. Similarly, although Trinity has the most places, it also has the most applicants - 29 people applied there in 2013 for only 6 spaces.

Apply to a college you like. If you'd like a college with lots of people doing your subject then yes, you can apply to the college with the highest number of places. But don't apply there just because they have the highest number of places and you think that affects your chances. It doesn't. If you are considered good enough for Oxford but the college you applied to have lots of good applicants, you will be given a place by a different college. College choice does not affect your overall chances of getting in therefore apply to a college you would most want to go to if you got the choice.
Reply 4
Wherever you apply you will have pretty much the same chance of getting in as so many candidates are reallocated and everyone has multiple interviews. I have an offer for Hertford biochem and there were 14 of us at interview for the 4 places but I know a couple got given either open offers or where reallocated also!
Reply 5

Link to Oxford Dept Biochem on admissions process they use (section 5).

http://www.bioch.ox.ac.uk/aspsite/index.asp?pageid=420

:smile:
Thanks a lot!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending