The Student Room Group

Have driving test in 2 days - HELP

So I have a driving practical test in 2 days and I am slightly nervous.
I would be glad if any of you guys here could help me out with tips .

I am unsure of and struggle with 2 things mostly,
1. Holding the car still at junctions and roundabouts especially at upward hills and stall the car during this sometimes, as I cant understand how to hold the car without the handbrake?
2. I also struggle with the idea of changing gears so often due to keep on changing roads and also maintaning a good speed.

thanks soo much
Original post by Kaylahh
So I have a driving practical test in 2 days and I am slightly nervous.
I would be glad if any of you guys here could help me out with tips .

I am unsure of and struggle with 2 things mostly,
1. Holding the car still at junctions and roundabouts especially at upward hills and stall the car during this sometimes, as I cant understand how to hold the car without the handbrake?
2. I also struggle with the idea of changing gears so often due to keep on changing roads and also maintaning a good speed.

thanks soo much

When you stop on an uphill road, you need to lift the clutch just to the bite point and keep your foot gently on the accelerator, like you're just about to move off: the way I like to think about it is that you are keeping the car going at a low enough speed that it's just countering you rolling back but not enough to take you any further forward.

I don't quite know what you mean by this but the way I do it is
<5mph 1st gear
5-20 mph 2nd gear (so if you're in a 20 zone keep in second as it makes it hard to break the speed limit
20-30 mph 3rd gear (in a 30mph zone don't go above 3rd)
30-45mph 4th
45+ 5th gear
When you're coming up to a junction, roundabout or steep corner, regardless of the speed limit put it in 2nd so you're not going too quickly and you can stop easily
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by elmothedancer
:smile:

thanks so much. Just one more question. I feel nervous when slowing down a lot in gear 2 (and 3, but less often I slow much in gear 3) in fear of stalling the car. I at times stall the car because I lift the clutch up without pushing the accelerator (enough) as I am scared of pushing the accelerator to much in slow traffic and hitting a car.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Kaylahh
thanks so much. Just one more question. I feel nervous when slowing down a lot in gear 2 (and 3, but less often I slow much in gear 3) in fear of stalling the car. I at times stall the car because I lift the clutch up without pushing the accelerator (enough) as I am scared of pushing the accelerator to much in slow traffic and hitting a car.

Thanks

When you're slowing down a lot in 2nd just put the clutch down so you won't stall. For example, you're in 2nd and you've slowed to about 10mph, put the clutch down. If you're not coming to a complete stop once you've done this just bring the clutch back up to biting point and gas it to keep moving.

I wouldn't be too worried about pushing the accelerator in slow traffic - as long as you do it gradually and don't slam your foot down you'll be alright. Just relax and "feel" the car so to speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by goodwinning
When you're slowing down a lot in 2nd just put the clutch down so you won't stall. For example, you're in 2nd and you've slowed to about 10mph, put the clutch down. If you're not coming to a complete stop once you've done this just bring the clutch back up to biting point and gas it to keep moving.

I wouldn't be too worried about pushing the accelerator in slow traffic - as long as you do it gradually and don't slam your foot down you'll be alright. Just relax and "feel" the car so to speak.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So do I put the clutch fully down when I slow down or when I come to a stop? And do I put the brake fully down at the same time too? And what is the reason for me stalling?thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Kaylahh
So do I put the clutch fully down when I slow down or when I come to a stop? And do I put the brake fully down at the same time too? And what is the reason for me stalling?thanks

If you're slowing down and you've got to about 10mph in 2nd, put the clutch down so you don't stall. Whether you put the brake down fully depends on whether you're about to come to a complete stop or you're going to to move off again. Obviously if you're coming to a complete stop keep your foot on the brake.

You're stalling because you're bringing the clutch up too much and not accelerating enough. Are you driving a petrol btw? Because you have to step on the gas with a petrol more than a diesel when you're at biting point.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
If you're slowing down and you've got to about 10mph in 2nd, put the clutch down so you don't stall. Whether you put the brake down fully depends on whether you're about to come to a complete stop or you're going to to move off again. Obviously if you're coming to a complete stop keep your foot on the brake.

You're stalling because you're bringing the clutch up too much and not accelerating enough. Are you driving a petrol btw? Because you have to step on the gas with a petrol more than a diesel when you're at biting point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks so much. Just to ask one more thing please, I quite struggle with roundabouts. specifically I find it hard to slow enough as I approach it and go at good speed across it (if it's clear I manage ok, but in busy roundabouts I find it tough having to use the hand brake all the time and struggle to move off after in good time, and worried this will count as hesitation?)thanks
Reply 7

also can i go in a roundabout in gear 1?
Reply 8
Original post by Kaylahh
thanks so much. Just to ask one more thing please, I quite struggle with roundabouts. specifically I find it hard to slow enough as I approach it and go at good speed across it (if it's clear I manage ok, but in busy roundabouts I find it tough having to use the hand brake all the time and struggle to move off after in good time, and worried this will count as hesitation?)thanks

Why are you even using the handbrake at all in roundabouts? The normal brake should suffice.

Approach the roundabout, slow down, get into 2nd gear, if it's not clear come to a full stop and switch to 1st, once you're clear to go move off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Kaylahh
also can i go in a roundabout in gear 1?

You can in theory but unless you plan on going 5mph throughout I'd switch to 2nd if I were you. It's easier on the engine. But then, you're still a learner so may not be comfortable switching gear whilst on a roundabout so just do whatever you're comfortable with.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Why are you even using the handbrake at all in roundabouts? The normal brake should suffice.

Approach the roundabout, slow down, get into 2nd gear, if it's not clear come to a full stop and switch to 1st, once you're clear to go move off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To avoid rolling backwards while waiting at the giveway line in the roundabout. I heard you can keep the car still with the biting point but not too sure. Especially i struggle with roundabouts that are on hills or steep
Reply 11
Original post by Kaylahh
To avoid rolling backwards while waiting at the giveway line in the roundabout. I heard you can keep the car still with the biting point but not too sure. Especially i struggle with roundabouts that are on hills or steep

You can - keep your foot firmly on the brake and the clutch at about biting point. Once you're ready to move off quickly hit the gas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
If you don't mind me asking how many hours driving have you done so far? You seem like you struggle with basic concepts like clutch control and braking.

You should be fairly confident with roundabouts especially since you'll be taking you're test and if you pass, you'll be going on roundabouts by yourself with no one to guide you on braking, gears etc. I remember when my instructor gave me a mock test about a week before the actual test and it was on a route with busy, massive roundabouts near a motorway that I'd never encountered before. I did so bad on them my instructor stopped the mock and did a whole lesson on them instead which really benefited me for my test and for real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
If you don't mind me asking how many hours driving have you done so far? You seem like you struggle with basic concepts like clutch control and braking.

You should be fairly confident with roundabouts especially since you'll be taking you're test and if you pass, you'll be going on roundabouts by yourself with no one to guide you on braking, gears etc. I remember when my instructor gave me a mock test about a week before the actual test and it was on a route with busy, massive roundabouts near a motorway that I'd never encountered before. I did so bad on them my instructor stopped the mock and did a whole lesson on them instead which really benefited me for my test and for real life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have drove across many roundabouts good enough but in the exam I feel nervous and I want a good strong strategy for the exam.thats why.thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending