The Student Room Group

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Master Jack
A uni friend came out as a pansexual this week what I understand is that he's attracted to anything with a pulse even trans people.
It sounds like it means they'll get off on anything. Coffin-dodgers, pre-pubescent children, someone in a coma, cats, dogs, dolls, car exhaust pipes, anything. Except for the fussy ones who insist on a pulse, for whom only the first five in that list qualify. :rolleyes:

(I feel another yellow card coming on.)
Original post by Simes
It sounds like it means they'll get off on anything. Coffin-dodgers, pre-pubescent children, someone in a coma, cats, dogs, dolls, car exhaust pipes, anything. Except for the fussy ones who insist on a pulse, for whom only the first five in that list qualify. :rolleyes:

(I feel another yellow card coming on.)

You missed out the frying pans. :drool:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
It's not attention seeking.

There is usually some confusion between Bisexuality and Pansexuality. Bisexual means you're attracted to ANY and ALL genders, as opposed to the assumption that because there's 'bi' in the word it means 'two'. There are more than two genders, and it's more of a scale rather than discreet 'types' (But that's for a different topic). Pansexual means you're attracted to someone REGARDLESS of their gender.

Found something that probably explains it better than I would:

Ugh, god bless that entire post. I'm so glad you posted that.
Original post by superwolf
Interesting you should mention animals: various species of fish, such as the hawkfish, are able to switch between male and female pretty much at will. It's interesting stuff, and I'd love if humans could do the same (if only because it would massively piss off a whole bunch of bigots :lol:).

Since you only recognise the majority of cases, and ignore the interesting minority, does this extend to other parts of your life? For example, houses don't normally catch on fire in the majority of cases, so why have a fire brigade? People aren't usually blind, so why train guide dogs? Etc. etc.

Would be a very weird and twisted society.
Such animals do not seek initmacy or pleasure
Odd way to conjure an argument but such things are needed in are society.
The sexuaul demographics speak for themselves.
I know individual cases exist buts its too small of a percentage to actually be acknowledged seriously
Original post by Blue_Mason
Would be a very weird and twisted society.
Such animals do not seek initmacy or pleasure
Odd way to conjure an argument but such things are needed in are society.
The sexuaul demographics speak for themselves.
I know individual cases exist buts its too small of a percentage to actually be acknowledged seriously

Why twisted? There's absolutely nothing wrong with a decently performed sex change. :nah:

I bow down to your superior wisdom on the inner thoughts of hawkfish, personally I'd have thought pretty much any animal enjoys a good bit of :sexface:

So anything which is both a minority and not 'needed in society' by your standards is fundamentally wrong or to be ignored? I am very glad you think that, cos bigotry falls nicely into both categories. :wizard: *fails to acknowledge any of your points seriously*

I do love a good sexual demographic, please to expand. :teeth:
Yea, pansexual is a thing. I know a fair few people who identify as such, especially being a part of the kinky community. Pansexuals love regardless of gender, whereas for a bisexual person gender still matters.

Really though, who cares how someone identifies?
Original post by battycatlady
Yea, pansexual is a thing. I know a fair few people who identify as such, especially being a part of the kinky community. Pansexuals love regardless of gender, whereas for a bisexual person gender still matters.

Really though, who cares how someone identifies?

I concur! :hubba:
Sure, it's a real thing. It really isn't our place to say it isn't, because when we do, what we're really saying is we understand someones sexual preferences better than they do. That we understand this huge part of their identity better than they do.

I disagree with the above poster(s) that bisexuality automatically means all genders. This is not true. It's the attraction to both males and females, and SOMETIMES is the attraction of all genders. It is the exception, not the norm.

Of course there are a lot of obviously bull**** ones, I do not think pan-sexuality is one of those bull**** ones tho, however..

It's gotten to the point with internet feminism that I can go on tumblr and identify as a tree and claim that deforestation is triggering to me. And people take me seriously.
(edited 9 years ago)
I concur! :hubba:

*high five*
Original post by SamKeene
Sure, it's a real thing. It really isn't our place to say it isn't, because when we do, what we're really saying is we understand someones sexual preferences better than they do. That we understand this huge part of their identity better than they do.

Of course there are a lot of obviously bull**** ones, I do not think pan-sexuality is one of those bull**** ones tho, however..

It's gotten to the point with internet feminism that I can go on tumblr and identify as a tree and claim that deforestation is triggering to me. And people take me seriously.

Otherkin. :teehee:
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Yeah, pansexuals are attracted to all genders! All two of them...

So they aren't just bisexual... how?

But the thing is, there are more than two genders, just like there are more than three sexualities. Multiple people have already pointed it out already on every page. Male, female, transgender and agender are the ones that come to mind first. And again, it's something that has already been pointed out.
A uni friend came out as a pansexual this week what I understand is that he's attracted to anything with a pulse even trans people. This got me thinking that it was pointless to come as pansexual because you can choose to be straight/gay/whateversexual whereas the other sexualities bar bi you have to make a choice and stick with it. Is it attention seeking? My closest friend said that it's an attention-seeking thing? I'm not so sure.

It's strange to be attracted to a trans person it's frankly odd. Is it the fact that they don't identify with their birth assigned gender that a pansexual finds attractive or is it something else? It's very strange.

See bi is something I can comprehend. Pansexual is just random and attention seeking or at least it seems that way to me.

First thing, sexuality isn't chosen, you don't choose who you're attracted to. Emotions aren't just flicked on and off like a switch. Have you ever been attracted to someone who didn't like you back? Could you just switch off those feelings? Being attracted to people isn't something you choose.

Second thing, if you identify as gay or straight or bi, you don't have to stick with it, for many people, myself included, sexuality is fluid, its not set in stone. I identified as a lesbian for several years, now I don't, right now, I don't really bother to put a label on my own sexuality, it is what it is... if it helps others understand, I'd say pansexual/fluid - but right now, it doesn't really matter, because I'm in a happy long term relationship, and my feelings for who I'm with aren't suddenly going to change.

Third thing, pansexual doesn't mean you're attracted to anything with a pulse, the same way that bisexuals aren't attracted to all men and women, the same way that straight people aren't attracted to all of the opposite sex and gay people all of the same sex. All it means is that you have the capacity to love and be attracted to any person based on things other than the gender they identify as or the genitals they were born with. The personality type, physique etc etc that they find attractive are as different as anyone else, gender and sex is just taken out of the equation. Its not that pansexuals are attracted to trans people because of x y or z reason, they're not specificially attracted to transgender people, the fact that a person is transgender just doesn't matter to them.

Is it attention seeking? it probably is for some individuals, for some people, its probably a step towards working out who they are, but you can't make the generalisation and say it definitely is or isn't attention seeking for all people who identify a certain way. Sorry, but people just aren't that simple that you can put them into clear cut categories.
Why twisted? There's absolutely nothing wrong with a decently performed sex change. :nah:

I bow down to your superior wisdom on the inner thoughts of hawkfish, personally I'd have thought pretty much any animal enjoys a good bit of :sexface:

So anything which is both a minority and not 'needed in society' by your standards is fundamentally wrong or to be ignored? I am very glad you think that, cos bigotry falls nicely into both categories. :wizard: *fails to acknowledge any of your points seriously*

I do love a good sexual demographic, please to expand. :teeth:

History tells us what humans are capable off so I would indeed be in fear to live in such a world
Incorrect as the majority of animals just mate on the basis of hormones and the instinct to reproduce.
I never said it was wrong, but I am saying that if it doesn't have enough basis or enough numbers to counter my way of thinking then it should not be taken on a same account with something with more basis,patterns, evidence etc.
what a ridiculous question
why wouldnt it be a real thing? and no it doesnt mean anything with a pulse, it just means sex and gender are no object
do you believe gay exists? do you believe bi exists? then why wouldnt pan? why cant that be a thing? do you think that no one is allowed to be attracted to trans people?
besides, even if this one particular person what 'attention seeking', who cares. people should act like this stuff is normal.
Original post by Blue_Mason
History tells us what humans are capable off so I would indeed be in fear to live in such a world
Incorrect as the majority of animals just mate on the basis of hormones and the instinct to reproduce.
I never said it was wrong, but I am saying that if it doesn't have enough basis or enough numbers to counter my way of thinking then it should not be taken on a same account with something with more basis,patterns, evidence etc.

I'd argue that if we're to learn anything from history, it's to be more accepting and less quick to judge. Pretty much the opposite of what you're doing.

Do animals have sex for pleasure? Apparently so...

By your standards we'd never learn anything new - any new concept starts off with one individual, who then persuades or teaches others. Wouldn't the world be hideously dull and stagnant if everyone thought like you?
Original post by Asklepios
Why? This is a very famous sculpture recovered from Pompei, featuring the God Pan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its a sick primitive form of "art" that should have never of been recovered.
Err how can anyone look at that and not feel disgusted
Original post by lavendarwater
But the thing is, there are more than two genders, just like there are more than three sexualities. Multiple people have already pointed it out already on every page. Male, female, transgender and agender are the ones that come to mind first. And again, it's something that has already been pointed out.

There are only two genders. There are people who have abnormalities, e.g. are born without external genetalia, but obviously this doesn't constitute another gender. Similarly, the way that you feel has no influence on your gender.

People are so willing to assign new genders, sexualities, etc. now and it is ridiculous. I'm surprised there isn't a gender for people who dye their hair.
Reply 57
This may be the most boring, tedious, loliberal thread I've seen all week.
Well I'm bisexual.

Transgender isn't a extra gender?! I'm not sure what Pansexuals are specifically however I do know that I've been attracted to Trans people before.

If she/he wants to identify with being Pan, let them. What's the use in turning it into an issue?
This thread is so ridiculous.. The lack of knowledge in this world is somewhat amusing.
Maybe some people should stop being so judgmental and get on with their own lives rather than accusing people of being attention seeking....

I give up with the human race

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending