The Student Room Group

Programmers/Software Engineers, What Do You Think About Your Current Job?

What are your qualifications

What do you think about your current salary

Would you rather move out of the UK to say Australia/US if you have a chance?

Some GCSEs and A levels, BSc in economics, and the vendor developer certification on the software I work with
It's excellent
No, but work isn't the reason for that
Thanks for replying, do you think a master's degree is necessary these days to be competitive?
Original post by PleaseMindTheGap
Thanks for replying, do you think a master's degree is necessary these days to be competitive?

I don't really know enough other people in their early 20s doing the same sort of thing to say. I can think of maybe 15 or 20 and perhaps 25-30% have masters degrees, though all in things like physics or engineering rather than compsci.
Reply 4
Original post by PleaseMindTheGap

What are your qualifications

What do you think about your current salary

Would you rather move out of the UK to say Australia/US if you have a chance?

Bachelors in Computer Science
Very high
I am planning on applying for a US visa this year
Original post by Fallen

I am planning on applying for a US visa this year

How do you apply for a USA Visa? I thought it was a long arduous process with which you had to have some very prestigious skill (e.g. Doctor, Nuclear Physicist)... I didn't realise you could get a green card to the US just through being able to program.

I'm hopefully starting my Computer Science degree in September, and I would love to live in the US for a few years. I hope you can give me some more detail!
Reply 6
Original post by TerminallyChill
How do you apply for a USA Visa? I thought it was a long arduous process with which you had to have some very prestigious skill (e.g. Doctor, Nuclear Physicist)... I didn't realise you could get a green card to the US just through being able to program.

I'm hopefully starting my Computer Science degree in September, and I would love to live in the US for a few years. I hope you can give me some more detail!

Yeah, and programmers are incredibly in demand!

There are quite a few ways of getting a visa, but the relevant ones require a company out in the US to sponsor you. The usual routes are H1-B or L1 visas: both require working for a company with offices out in the USA which will sponsor you. That generally isn't a problem, because almost all of the cool companies have an office somewhere in America.

There are alternative routes such as being very rich / starting a company yourself / etc, but they are less likely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending