The Student Room Group

Help revising for GCSEs

I'm having a hard time revising does anyone have any tips that may be helpful on the lead up to and the exams?

Thanks in advance
Are u revising for the real exams in the summer or for mocks?
Just revise 30m each day for now, and increase the amount of time spent the closer to the summer exams. When revising, put 110% effort into actually remembering it, because there's no point in wasted revision. For example, let's say you're revising Biology. Revise B1 for a week and then print a past paper. If you get above 80% in the exam, then move onto B2. If now, continue to revise B1. This can work for most subjects.

PAST PAPERS are key to success! :biggrin: Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by ¡Muy bien!
Are u revising for the real exams in the summer or for mocks?

Real summer
Reply 4
Original post by Kyou
Just revise 30m each day for now, and increase the amount of time spent the closer to the summer exams. When revising, put 110% effort into actually remembering it, because there's no point in wasted revision. For example, let's say you're revising Biology. Revise B1 for a week and then print a past paper. If you get above 80% in the exam, then move onto B2. If now, continue to revise B1. This can work for most subjects.

PAST PAPERS are key to success! :biggrin: Good luck!

Thanksssss :biggrin::biggrin:
The sooner you start the easier the load is later
Reply 6
Original post by Bambooshoe
The sooner you start the easier the load is later

There's not enough content in most GCSEs to warrant starting now though. Most of it can be memorised in a few days, I always felt starting so early would be a waste as I'd just forget it all so I didn't start until Easter and did alright. At this stage, I'd recommend just keeping up with all your homework and understanding all the topics so then revision will be fairly straightforward later. The only subjects it may be wise to revise now are maybe english and maths where you have skills that need to be developed through repetition/familiarity. I mean, you *could* start now but it'd be a real shame if you were to burn out just before exam season then miss out on proper revision when it's needed most.
Reply 7
Btw I'm doing double science so would it be just B2/C2/P2 or would P1/C1/B1 be in it as well, thanks
Original post by RomNoob
Btw I'm doing double science so would it be just B2/C2/P2 or would P1/C1/B1 be in it as well, thanks

both!
Original post by TVIO
There's not enough content in most GCSEs to warrant starting now though. Most of it can be memorised in a few days, I always felt starting so early would be a waste as I'd just forget it all so I didn't start until Easter and did alright. At this stage, I'd recommend just keeping up with all your homework and understanding all the topics so then revision will be fairly straightforward later. The only subjects it may be wise to revise now are maybe english and maths where you have skills that need to be developed through repetition/familiarity. I mean, you *could* start now but it'd be a real shame if you were to burn out just before exam season then miss out on proper revision when it's needed most.

yes I agree, if you start too early then you might forget it but it depends on your revision style. I work best by having facts in front of me so I was reading a lot. For me personally I don't take in information very well by reading or skim reading text so to make sure I knew the details I had to rewrite it in another way. This proved that I understood and processed the information I was taking in as I had to understand it and then re explain it to myself. So obviously my way of revision was quite time consuming therefore if you're anything like me then the sooner you start the less you have to do later under high pressure. For some I did have more copies of my rewritten stuff as I went over the topics I did at the start of my revision. - repetition/familiarity. However I think the key phrase here is little but often:smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Bambooshoe
yes I agree, if you start too early then you might forget it but it depends on your revision style. I work best by having facts in front of me so I was reading a lot. For me personally I don't take in information very well by reading or skim reading text so to make sure I knew the details I had to rewrite it in another way. This proved that I understood and processed the information I was taking in as I had to understand it and then re explain it to myself. So obviously my way of revision was quite time consuming therefore if you're anything like me then the sooner you start the less you have to do later under high pressure. For some I did have more copies of my rewritten stuff as I went over the topics I did at the start of my revision. - repetition/familiarity. However I think the key phrase here is little but often:smile:

I personally hate little but often, I only really get work done if there's loads of it to do and I'm under pressure. But I'm a bit weird like that :biggrin:
Original post by TVIO
I personally hate little but often, I only really get work done if there's loads of it to do and I'm under pressure. But I'm a bit weird like that :biggrin:

Yeah I am too I kept putting it off and then I literally had no time and I was revising 24/7 but I got it done! but if I were to do I again I would do little and often even though I may not feel like I need to do it there and then I won't be as stressed later
Revision:

1. Break each subject into tasks and create a timetable that is specific for each free session
2. Aim to do 2 45m sessions per evening with a 15m break at least between them
3. Download all past papers that you can and time yourself taking the questions - be brutal... don't allow yourself extra time.
4. Ask the teachers for specific feedback and if possible, rewrite EACH piece of marked work (especially in the Humanities subjects) to improve
5. Improve Maths by revising systematically using MathsWatch (Mymaths is a bit basic beyond B Grade), - ask for additional material and CRUCIALLY, a good teacher to mark it

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest