The Student Room Group

Computer science

Anyone good with computer science
python or javascript?
Reply 1
Original post by humzzay
Anyone good with computer science
python or javascript?

If you're looking for help you're going to have to post what you're stuck on in this thread. I've got experience using Python, though I haven't done much Javascript.
Reply 2
Original post by mos182
If you're looking for help you're going to have to post what you're stuck on in this thread. I've got experience using Python, though I haven't done much Javascript.

Thanks A lot im stuck on coding on python Task 3
iv asked many people, no one every really gave an answer but advised me if understood the advice but i really just need a coding for the task :/

complete all tasks and provide evidence to meet all the marking criteria.
For the following scenario analyse the detailed requirements for each situation and, using suitable
algorithms, design a solution to be coded in a suitable high-level programming language. Show the
iterative development of the individual solutions with suitable testing throughout the process. Test
the final products and evaluate your solutions against the detailed requirements you identified in the
analysis.
The results for a task may be used without further testing in any subsequent task, or each of the tasks
may be solved as a separate system.
Arithmetic quiz

Task 1
A primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students.
The program should generate a quiz consisting of a series of random questions, using in each case
any two numbers and addition, subtraction and multiplication. The system should ask the student’s
name, then ask 10 questions, output if the answer to each question is correct or not and produce a final
score out of 10.
Analyse the requirements in detail and design, code, test and evaluate a program to meet these
requirements.
Task 2
The teacher wants to keep track of the scores each member of the class obtains in the quiz. There are
three classes in the school and the data should be kept separately for each class.
Analyse the requirements in detail for this program and design, code, test and evaluate a program that
will record and store the data for three separate classes of students using the arithmetic quiz.
Task 3
The teacher wants to use the results from students taking these quizzes to log their performance. The
system should store the last three scores for each student. The teacher would like to be able to output
the results of the quiz for a particular class, sorted:
in alphabetical order with each student’s highest score for the tests
by the highest score, highest to lowest
by the average score, highest to lowest.
Analyse the requirements in detail for this program and design, code, test and evaluate a program that
will allow the teacher to select which class group to look at and which field to use when sorting the
output data.
Reply 3
Original post by humzzay
Thanks A lot im stuck on coding on python Task 3
iv asked many people, no one every really gave an answer but advised me if understood the advice but i really just need a coding for the task :/

complete all tasks and provide evidence to meet all the marking criteria.
For the following scenario analyse the detailed requirements for each situation and, using suitable
algorithms, design a solution to be coded in a suitable high-level programming language. Show the
iterative development of the individual solutions with suitable testing throughout the process. Test
the final products and evaluate your solutions against the detailed requirements you identified in the
analysis.
The results for a task may be used without further testing in any subsequent task, or each of the tasks
may be solved as a separate system.
Arithmetic quiz

Task 1
A primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students.
The program should generate a quiz consisting of a series of random questions, using in each case
any two numbers and addition, subtraction and multiplication. The system should ask the student’s
name, then ask 10 questions, output if the answer to each question is correct or not and produce a final
score out of 10.
Analyse the requirements in detail and design, code, test and evaluate a program to meet these
requirements.
Task 2
The teacher wants to keep track of the scores each member of the class obtains in the quiz. There are
three classes in the school and the data should be kept separately for each class.
will record and store the data for three separate classes of students using the arithmetic quiz.
Task 3
The teacher wants to use the results from students taking these quizzes to log their performance. The
system should store the last three scores for each student. The teacher would like to be able to output
the results of the quiz for a particular class, sorted:
in alphabetical order with each student’s highest score for the tests
by the highest score, highest to lowest
by the average score, highest to lowest.
will allow the teacher to select which class group to look at and which field to use when sorting the
output data.

Do you have the answers for the first two tasks? If so, could you please provide them because it looks like these tasks are linked.
Reply 4
Original post by mos182
Do you have the answers for the first two tasks? If so, could you please provide them because it looks like these tasks are linked.

Okay so iv explained what iv done for each of the tasks on the document.
Hope you understand what i meant on task 2.- where I saved excel documents as (class1.csv) (class2.csv) (class3.csv)

Hope you can help with task 3 now!
Reply 5
Original post by mos182

sorry the other document was all messed I have no idea why :confused:

Check this one if you can see each Task clearly

(If there are any mistakes or things to edit- Feel free to let me know please) :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
What precisely are you stuck on? If you don't know how to approach the task you should speak to your teachers.
Reply 7
Original post by Planto
What precisely are you stuck on? If you don't know how to approach the task you should speak to your teachers.

Iv already spoke to my teachers. Not much help and im stuck on the coding which code I have to use for those three things that is on task 3.
Reply 8
Original post by humzzay

(If there are any mistakes or things to edit- Feel free to let me know please) :smile:

Okay so I've had a look at your work so far, thanks for sending it. So in the last part it asks you to sort the scores from highest to lowest and then to sort by highest average score. I'm guessing since you have 3 test scores, the easier thing to do would be to add a 4th and 5th column, one being the total score and the last being the average score. These are the two columns you'll have to sort.

I've found a website which explains how to sort csv files. They convert the csv file into a list and then sort the list.

Here's the website: http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/rasbt/python_reference/blob/master/tutorials/sorting_csvs.ipynb

I hope this helps :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by humzzay
Iv already spoke to my teachers. Not much help and im stuck on the coding which code I have to use for those three things that is on task 3.

Then you should speak to them again. It is their job to ensure you know how to complete the task.
Do what you can and use www.stackoverflow.com if you have any problems with syntax or how to use specific functions etc. Make flow charts and then decide what specific parts of the program should consists of (e.g. while loops, for loops, if statements etc.)
Reply 11
Original post by humzzay

I know I'm asking 7 years later which is not convenient sorry :s-smilie: but do you have the answer to task 3 because I have no idea how to put in alphabetical order... this is our pre A-level homework and I'm so confused right now! thank you :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by humzzay

I know I'm asking 7 years later which is not convenient sorry :s-smilie: but do you have the answer to task 3 because I have no idea how to put in alphabetical order... this is our pre A-level homework and I'm so confused right now! thank you :smile:
Reply 13
Plan your program - use functions remember to break your program into smaller parts . You will need to import random. Arithmetic testA primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students.Generate random questions (2 numbers only) consisting of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. (tip: start with just addition & multiplication questions)The system should ask the student’s name and then ask ten questions.The program should feed back if the answers are correct or not, and then generate a final score at the end.Extensions:1. Extend your program so that it stores the results somewhere.2. The teacher wants to be able to log student performance in these tests. The teacher would like the program to store the last three scores for each student and to be able to output the results in alphabetical order with the student’s highest score first out of the three.
Reply 14
Original post by mos182

Plan your program - use functions remember to break your program into smaller parts . You will need to import random. Arithmetic testA primary school teacher wants a computer program to test the basic arithmetic skills of her students.Generate random questions (2 numbers only) consisting of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. (tip: start with just addition & multiplication questions)The system should ask the student’s name and then ask ten questions.The program should feed back if the answers are correct or not, and then generate a final score at the end.Extensions:1. Extend your program so that it stores the results somewhere.2. The teacher wants to be able to log student performance in these tests. The teacher would like the program to store the last three scores for each student and to be able to output the results in alphabetical order with the student’s highest score first out of the three.
Reply 15
Plan your program - use functions remember to break your program into smaller parts . You will need to import random.

Arithmetic test
Generate random questions (2 numbers only) consisting of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. (tip: start with just addition & multiplication questions)
The system should ask the student’s name and then ask ten questions.
The program should feed back if the answers are correct or not, and then generate a final score at the end.
Extensions:
1. Extend your program so that it stores the results somewhere.
2. The teacher wants to be able to log student performance in these tests. The teacher would like the program to store the last three scores for each student and to be able to output the results in alphabetical order with the student’s highest score first out of the three.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending