The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

I am currently deciding on my A-Level choices, and I want to do medicine. Are Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and English suitable choices?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Serenaaa
I am currently deciding on my A-Level choices, and I want to do medicine. Are Biology, Chemistry, Philosophy and English suitable choices?

Yeah, they're perfectly fine :yy:
I'd say so! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Did you consider a third science or maths. It's not too necessary though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mliela
Did you consider a third science or maths. It's too necessary though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I am doing maths this year, but I can't do physics for my life, so I think that I should only do it to GCSE level!:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by usycool1
Yeah, they're perfectly fine :yy:

Thank you :biggrin:

They are looking pretty decent. Have you thought about maths?
Reply 7
Original post by FrozenSteph
I'd say so! :biggrin:

Thank you :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Emma:-)
They are looking pretty decent. Have you thought about maths?

Well I'm doing maths this year, but my main worry is whether or not to do Physics, because I am really rubbish at it! :confused:

As everyone else has said, yes, they're fine for medicine.

Make sure you get the best grades you can this year and aim for four A's in your AS levels. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Well I'm doing maths this year, but my main worry is whether or not to do Physics, because I am really rubbish at it! :confused:

I meant at a-level.
You dont need physics, so i wouldnt worry about that.
I'd say swap Philosophy for Maths, just to have a claim to doing 3 sciences :smile: (Medicine is competitive).
Original post by ItsWhiteHat
I'd say swap Philosophy for Maths, just to have a claim to doing 3 sciences :smile: (Medicine is competitive).

It'd make no difference if the OP had Maths instead of Philosophy unless they were applying to Cambridge. No need to take three science subjects :nah:
Yes, they're fine. I approve of the philosophy choice.
It'd make no difference if the OP had Maths instead of Philosophy unless they were applying to Cambridge. No need to take three science subjects :nah:

All the people from my College that got into Medicine last year, had Maths at A2. I just assumed that it increased ones chances of getting in.
All the people from my College that got into Medicine last year, had Maths at A2. I just assumed that it increased ones chances of getting in.

And all the people who got in at mine last time round didn't :wink:

It doesn't increase chances at all tbh.
And all the people who got in at mine last time round didn't :wink:

It doesn't increase chances at all tbh.

Interesting... Maybe my surroundings are a bit too science biased. But I've even looked at stats like "Which? Uni", (was helping out a friend which their choices) most common subjects before attending Uni for Medicine are Maths, Chemistry, Biology for all Unis I've looked at.
Interesting... Maybe my surroundings are a bit too science biased. But I've even looked at stats like "Which? Uni", (was helping out a friend which their choices) most common subjects before attending Uni for Medicine are Maths, Chemistry, Biology for all Unis I've looked at.

Yes, but I'd guess that that's just probably because more applicants have Maths as one of their options as opposed to Medical Schools preferring it.
Reply 18

Correlation does not imply causation. :smile:
Im thinking of going into medicine and I chose what u did

- bio
- chemistry
- philosophy

I chose politics instead of engish

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending