The Student Room Group

PM disrespected the pope

[h="1"]David Cameron disagrees with Pope Francis on responding with violence[/h]PM responds to comments on provoking others by insulting faith, saying in free society there is right to cause offence

Share51

inShare0

The Guardian, Sunday 18 January 2015 13.25 GMT

David Cameron told a US news programme that it was wrong to 'wreak vengeance' if someone insulted your faith. Photograph: Xinhua/Landov/Barcroft Media

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/jan/18/david-cameron-disagrees-pope-francis-responding-violence

David Cameron has contradicted the pope over whether it is right to react with violence against insults to religious beliefs.
The prime minister told a US news programme that it was wrong to “wreak vengeance” if someone insulted your faith.
Speaking to journalists on a plane last week, Pope Francis had said insulting others’ faith was a step too far.
His explanation that those who provoked others by insulting their religious beliefs should expect violence came days after Islamist terrorists killed 12 people at the offices of French satirical newspaper, Charlie Hebdo, before killing four more Jewish people at a kosher supermarket. The killers claimed allegiance to Islamic State (Isis) and al-Qaida in Yemen.
During an impromptu press conference, the pope gestured to one of his officials, and said: “If my good friend Dr Gasparri says a curse word against my mother, he can expect a punch. It’s normal. You cannot provoke, you cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others.”
Cameron was asked about the pope’s remarks in an interview with the CBS news programme Face the Nation, broadcast on Sunday. He said: “I think in a free society, there is a right to cause offence about someone’s religion. I’m a Christian; if someone says something offensive about Jesus, I might find that offensive, but in a free society I don’t have a right to wreak vengeance on them. We have to accept that newspapers, magazines, can publish things that are offensive to some, as long as it’s within the law. That is what we should defend.”
The PM was also asked about the current terrorist threat, and said that it was severe and that an attack was highly likely. He said the nature of the threat “has changed and altered, but it’s still based on the fundamental problem of a poisonous death cult narrative which is the perversion of one of the world’s major religions.”
The interview was pre-recorded in the US before Cameron flew back to the UK following talks with Barack Obama. Last August, Obama was criticised for saying “we don’t have a strategy yet” for tackling Islamic State. Cameron told CBS there was now a strategy.
“I think the reason some people are concerned about this strategy is that perhaps we haven’t said enough about how long it is going to take to work. If we take the issue of Islamist extremist terrorism coming out of Iraq and Syria, it is going to take a very long time to deal with this, because in the end the only answer to these terrorists will be strong, proper government in Iraq, with strong, proper Iraqi security forces.
“The same applies in Syria. I think the secretary‑general of the UN put it very well when he said a missile can kill a terrorist, but it is only good governance that can kill terrorism. So what we’re engaged in is a very long struggle where we’ll have to show real perseverance.”

Scroll to see replies

And the PM is right. The Pope essentially just said that if you insult someone's faith you can't blame them when they get violent. The PM said yes you can blame them, so these people need to grow up and stop throwing their toys out of their prams.
His hat is silly.

Come at me.
OP recently posted a tasteful picture of His Holiness clutching a dildo.
I agree with David Cameron on this one. We cannot allow our actions to be dictated by others' reactions. Being offended by something doesn't give anyone the right to react with violence and threats. When it comes to religious beliefs, it needs to be fair and equal. Either people can say what they like about any religion or laws are passed to make it illegal to do so. We've got a situation at the moment where, when insulted, islam reacts far more strongly than people of other religions who are insulted, and they're trying to make it so nobody can say anything. The recent unrest in Niger, where people are burning down Churches and anything French because of free speech is disgusting. These are ordinary muslims, not terrorists, who are being violent. Do we need any more proof that islam is a religion that encourages its followers to act with violence towards the 'infidels'?
Original post by Genocidal
And the PM is right. The Pope essentially just said that if you insult someone's faith you can't blame them when they get violent. The PM said yes you can blame them, so these people need to grow up and stop throwing their toys out of their prams.

Religions overrule politics tho since HM The Queen, the head of state, where Dave got his power from, got her power straight from God.
Original post by ByronicHero
His hat is silly.

Come at me.

One more word and you are excommunicated. :colone:
Original post by the bear
OP recently posted a tasteful picture of His Holiness clutching a dildo.

Were you the one who reported me? :s-smilie:
He didn't disrespect him, he disagreed with him.
As much as I don't like the Conservatives, I agree with Cameron on this one
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch

under the abrahamic religions disagreeing the mortal representation/head of thier ludicrously rich empire of their sky fairy is the same thing
Reply 11
We worked damn hard in this country, many times, to prevent the Pope running the show here.

His Holy Numptiness's argument that violence is the way to respond to words that upset you is damn good evidence we did the right thing.

It's cold out, someone throw another Catholic on the fire.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SnoochToTheBooch

His Holiness The Pope is infallible so you cannot disagree with him.

This is blasphemy and since he claims to be a christian, he's supposedly under the authority of The Holy See.

This is what secularism does to you, not recognising disrespect when it happens.

The Right Honourable gentleman is basically saying that God's speaker on Earth was wrong.
Oooft the popes true colours come out!
Original post by clh_hilary
His Holiness The Pope is infallible so you cannot disagree with him.

This is blasphemy and since he claims to be a christian, he's supposedly under the authority of The Holy See.

This is what secularism does to you, not recognising disrespect when it happens.

The Right Honourable gentleman is basically saying that God's speaker on Earth was wrong.

Amen, I say we stone him to death and parade is corpse throughout the streets of London! YHWH is great!
Original post by joey11223
Amen, I say we stone him to death and parade is corpse throughout the streets of London! YHWH is great!

I thought burning would be the proper biblical punishment. That's what they did with the Oxford martyrs. Dave is gonna be the new Oxford martyr.

Stoning is for women and children I think.
Original post by clh_hilary
I thought burning would be the proper biblical punishment. That's what they did with the Oxford martyrs. Dave is gonna be the new Oxford martyr.

Stoning is for women and children I think.

aaah I see...what about flogging though? Seems a guy thing that one, how about 100 lashes with a whip that's been coated in petrol and set on fire? ...now that's some holy action right there.
Original post by joey11223
aaah I see...what about flogging though? Seems a guy thing that one, how about 100 lashes with a whip that's been coated in petrol and set on fire? ...now that's some holy action right there.

Actually His Holiness said a punch so probably just that. They're going to do it on X-Factor.
FTP
Reply 19
Original post by The_Mighty_Bush
FTP
Don't you mean BTP? Which probably happened earlier in his career, anyway. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending