The Student Room Group

Pansexual? Is it a real thing or just attention-seeking?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FrauBecca
If you're bisexual and not attracted to trans people then that's because you are transphobic and not because of your sexuality.

Trans women are WOMEN. Trans men are MEN. (Trans agender people are agender... and so on.)

If you don't want to date transgender people that's your thing, but don't say it's because you're bisexual and not pansexual. Bisexual people are attracted to two or more genders. The difference between them and pansexual people is that often bisexual people have a preference for a gender. Mostly, pansexual people call themselves pansexual because they don't care about gender at all.

I doubt I'm transphobic. I do not have an irrational fear of transgendered people.

I'm bisexual because I like men in male bodies, and women in female bodies. I am not sexually attracted to a man in a woman's body, nor a woman in a man's body. If I were pansexual, I wouldn't be bothered by this.

Like I said before, after reassignment it becomes totally different.
Original post by superwolf
I'd argue that if we're to learn anything from history, it's to be more accepting and less quick to judge. Pretty much the opposite of what you're doing.

Do animals have sex for pleasure? Apparently so...

By your standards we'd never learn anything new - any new concept starts off with one individual, who then persuades or teaches others. Wouldn't the world be hideously dull and stagnant if everyone thought like you?

Well the minority consciously engage in sexual pleasure
I disagree, if everyone shared my views then they would be less societal conflicts.
Just saying that there is not much to differentiate between bisexuality with pansexuality.
Its funny how I have meet and came across many people of all walks of life but have never came across a pansexual person, trigendered person
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
There is usually some confusion between Bisexuality and Pansexuality. Bisexual means you're attracted to ANY and ALL genders, as opposed to the assumption that because there's 'bi' in the word it means 'two'. There are more than two genders, and it's more of a scale rather than discreet 'types' (But that's for a different topic). Pansexual means you're attracted to someone REGARDLESS of their gender.:

This is perhaps an ignorant thing to ask, but what is the third gender?? Or fourth/fifth etc.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Well the minority consciously engage in sexual pleasure
I disagree, if everyone shared my views then they would be less societal conflicts.
Just saying that there is not much to differentiate between bisexuality with pansexuality.

I've yet to see the latest census on animals' sexual proclivities 2015, so I think I'll stick with my thoughts with accompanying evidence, rather than your thoughts with accompanying assertions. :teehee:

I dunno about the conflicts, but I deeply suspect that if I were like you I'd be having significantly less fun, sex and intelligent conversation.

Have you ever identified as bisexual? Have you ever identified as pansexual? Or scrap that, how can you tell me that my sexuality doesn't exist when you blatantly don't have a clue what you're on about? :rofl3:
Reply 64
Original post by seaholme
This is perhaps an ignorant thing to ask, but what is the third gender?? Or fourth/fifth etc.

So you have cis (Your common binary male, female genders), transgender, agender, non-binary, gender-fluid, androgynous, bigender, intersex and so on. It's quite extensive when you start to read about it!
So you have cis (Your common binary male, female genders), transgender, agender, non-binary, gender-fluid, androgynous, bigender, intersex and so on. It's quite extensive when you start to read about it!

Surely non-binary is just an umbrella term? Agender is non-binary, no? And intersex isn't a gender. You're making the elementary mistake of confusing sex with gender.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kittykcmt
This thread is so ridiculous.. The lack of knowledge in this world is somewhat amusing.
Maybe some people should stop being so judgmental and get on with their own lives rather than accusing people of being attention seeking....

I give up with the human race

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely. And it's funny that they dismiss things based on attention-seeking when attention-seeking is a problem in itself. I guess they know nothing about cluster B personality disorders - specifically histrionic and narcissistic.
Reply 67
Its a sick primitive form of "art" that should have never of been recovered.
Err how can anyone look at that and not feel disgusted
I know just what you mean. There's another one doing the rounds that's nearly as old. It's some man, nailed to some wood - nailed, ffs - with these branches jammed on his head with all blood running down his face. I've even seen one where there's this hole in his chest and stuff coming out.

This ancient torture 'art' is sickening and should be banned.

Err, how can anyone look at that and not feel disgusted?

(Some people wear it on a necklace - what's wrong with these people?)

:rolleyes:
Original post by Iggy Azalea
I'm bisexual and I like men and women. Transgendered people, as much as I respect them, don't appeal to me in a sexual way.

Pansexuals seem to not be affected like this and have potential to be attracted to everyone.

I do think it can come across as attention-seeking. But at the end of the day, announcing any sexuality (even if straight) is a way of finding potential partners attention. When I quietly announced I was bisexual, I then got the attention of bisexual and lesbian girls.

For gay/lesbian/bisexuals/asexuals, it's also a way of saying you aren't interested in someone. If you're pansexual, you're simply saying you don't mind and it only comes down to personal preference rather than gender.

So, yes it is attention-seeking, but in a good way.

See, I don't think announcing your sexuality is very helpful in finding potential partners. If you show interest in someone, they know you're interested, and vice versa. If someone is potentially into you, and are not sure of your sexuality, they tend to just ask, ime.

Original post by FrauBecca
If you're bisexual and not attracted to trans people then that's because you are transphobic and not because of your sexuality.

Trans women are WOMEN. Trans men are MEN. (Trans agender people are agender... and so on.)

If you don't want to date transgender people that's your thing, but don't say it's because you're bisexual and not pansexual. Bisexual people are attracted to two or more genders. The difference between them and pansexual people is that often bisexual people have a preference for a gender. Mostly, pansexual people call themselves pansexual because they don't care about gender at all.

Don't be ridiculous. Being unattracted to trans people is no more transphobic than being unattracted to men is misandrisf or being unattracted to white people is racist.

What is a transagender?

Original post by seaholme

It depends on where you are in the world. Ideas about sexuality and gender are very socially constructed. Here, we're a binary country. In Thailand, ladyboys are an officially recognized third gender. In a wider context, many consider a transwoman to be a different gender from a ciswoman, so on and so fourth. There's a ****load of different genders in the Tumblr era with varying levels of acceptance and validity. People have just started giving names to every possible feeling about yourself that people have had for centuries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've yet to see the latest census on animals' sexual proclivities 2015, so I think I'll stick with my thoughts with accompanying evidence, rather than your thoughts with accompanying assertions. :teehee:

I dunno about the conflicts, but I deeply suspect that if I were like you I'd be having significantly less fun, sex and intelligent conversation.

Have you ever identified as bisexual? Have you ever identified as pansexual? Or scrap that, how can you tell me that my sexuality doesn't exist when you blatantly don't have a clue what you're on about? :rofl3:

I have never once identified with heterosexuality.
I know just as much from my understanding and reserach about sexuality to correlate an argument in again what differentiates between bisexuality and pansexuality?
I mean we live in an open society so why identify with a word that is practically redundant in the real world?
You have some people claim to be pansexual ITT but have failed to explain the full meaning.

woo someone who knows about genders :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
People may come out as pansexual due to belief that bisexuality requires binarism and excludes non-binary people. However, the lines between bisexuality and pansexuality are blurred and there are many bisexuals who are attracted to non-binary people as well. Pansexuality is certainly not attention seeking. Why would anyone want to invite anti-LGBT sentiment upon themselves?
Reply 72
Wth is a pansexual? I only recognise one sexuality and that is heterosexuality.
Original post by Odd socks
woo someone who knows about genders :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You didn't include tri-gender, poly-gender and meta-gender you disgusting bigot. Have you ever considered that there are other people in the world with feelings? You don't get to define them. Take your 9 genders and go and live with all the other reactionaries. How are we tri-genders ever going to be accepted in such an oppressive climate?
Original post by ConnorB
Well I'm bisexual.

Transgender isn't a extra gender?! I'm not sure what Pansexuals are specifically however I do know that I've been attracted to Trans people before.

If she/he wants to identify with being Pan, let them. What's the use in turning it into an issue?

It's not about transgender people, it's about non-binary identified people. Some bisexuals feel attracted to non-binary people too, the majority it seems don't hence the category of pansexual.

Good attitude though! I wonder why people would label pansexuality attention seeking then have long discussions about how stupid it is...hence giving it attention.
I have never once identified with heterosexuality.
I know just as much from my understanding and reserach about sexuality to correlate an argument in again what differentiates between bisexuality and pansexuality?
I mean we live in an open society so why identify with a word that is practically redundant in the real world?
You have some people claim to be pansexual ITT but have failed to explain the full meaning.

Suggest you read, reread, and possibly get some kind of commemorative tattoo of the multiple valid descriptions of pansexuality posted on this thread. The ability to read is somewhat pointless if you fail to take in one jot of the meaning behind it.
Suggest you read, reread, and possibly get some kind of commemorative tattoo of the multiple valid descriptions of pansexuality posted on this thread. The ability to read is somewhat pointless if you fail to take in one jot of the meaning behind it.

Okay,you've won the arguement.
:s-smilie:
Original post by Niassuh
People may come out as pansexual due to belief that bisexuality requires binarism and excludes non-binary people. However, the lines between bisexuality and pansexuality are blurred and there are many bisexuals who are attracted to non-binary people as well. Pansexuality is certainly not attention seeking. Why would anyone want to invite anti-LGBT sentiment upon themselves?

Why does bisexual include the prefix 'bi' then if it refers to more than two? I think the confusion comes in when people on Tumblr ignore the proper definitions of words. It's very simple really:

Asexual = not-sexual
Homosexual = same-sexual or attracted to the same sex
Heterosexual = different-sexual or attracted to the opposite sex
Bisexual = two-sexual or attracted to two sexes or genders
Polysexual = many-sexual or attracted to many sexes or genders
Pansexual = all-sexual or attracted to all sexes and genders

This, of course, doesn't take into account aesthetic, romantic or sensual attraction, but I think that would just overcomplicate matters.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by billy-jo
what are fauns?

Like...

Mr Tumnus from Narnia.

(more relevant, Pan's Labyrinth)
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Why does bisexual include the prefix 'bi' then if it refers to more than two? I think the confusion comes in when people on Tumblr ignore the proper definitions of words. It's very simple really:

Asexual = not-sexual
Homosexual = same-sexual or attracted to the same sex
Heterosexual = different-sexual or attracted to the opposite sex
Bisexual = two-sexual or attracted to two sexes or genders
Polysexual = many-sexual or attracted to many sexes or genders
Pansexual = all-sexual or attracted to all sexes and genders

This, of course, doesn't take into account aesthetic, romantic or sensual attraction, but I think that would just overcomplicate matters.

I agree that some people use these labels incorrectly but in the end people identify closer with some words. I am a woman attracted to women and non-binary people but I identify more with lesbian than Polysexual, for example. Words change meaning all the tine, that's English for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending