The Student Room Group

Is it wrong for a working-class person to vote Conservatives (Personal Story)

Hi,

I would like to keep this anonymous for personal reasons.

I'm in my final year of a top 10 UK University, it's been quite a journey with lots of highs and lows since finishing A-levels and taking a Gap Year.

I come from the bottom 10% of society; we live in council housing, my father lives off welfare benefits after losing his job around 15years ago and my mother works part-time in Tesco. Our household income is probably around £10-12k per annum, however they are also gambling addicts. Life's been very hard for me, pretty much all my life - no security, no inheritance, no holidays, no role-models, my parents constantly arguing over money etc.

I kind of felt free when I came to university, where I could make a fresh start. During A-levels, I used to just go to the library every evening in my local town to escape the traumas and problems of home, it kind of felt like heaven to me. I managed to achieve straight-A grades at A-level and was determined to make something of my life as I knew if I ****ed up, I'd have nothing to lose anyway, how much worse could life get right haha?

Anyway I should hopefully be graduating this year, I've made lots of great friends and connections in the past 4years through being opportunistic and hungry..pretty much all my friends are middle/upper-middle class..so they've kind of changed my outlook and perspective on things. Like the way I speak now is a lot posher than before, you would probably think I'm middle-class if you met me..

I've also received a job offer from a top commerical law firm in London starting me on around £50k. Obviously this is a lot of money for someone from my background and it feels as though I'm gaining the fruits of my hardwork. Obviously coming from the bottom 10% of society, I will now be in the top 10% (income-wise)..paying 40% tax etc.

I share a lot of values with the Tory party, however when I tell people who know me from the beginning they say it's wrong for someone like me to vote Tory as it's full of toffs and middle/upper-middle class people who I can't relate to or don't care about the normal average joe on the street etc..

Was just wondering about the thoughts/views others had on this given my background..

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Vote who you want but whatever

Conservatives are ****
Reply 2
Didn't read your story, but no, it isn't wrong. Vote who you want.
Reply 3
What's the problem? You either agree with the broad principles or you don't.

There's a lot of very good people in the Conservatives concerned about issues like poverty, social exclusion, unemployment, social mobility and all that sort of thing.
Just vote for what you believe in
First off, great story. Good on you for such an achievement.

Of course there's nothing wrong with you voting Conservative. Plenty of people from working-class backgrounds do too. The fact is most people will vote for the party that will do the best for them, and with you soon to be a high-earner the Tories would be the best choice for you because they are going to cut taxes.

We're in the period when political parties aim to appeal to everyone. It is no longer the case that Labour represent the working-class and the Cons represent the middle and upper class. Thatcher changed all that.

Vote for who you is going to do the best for you.
the Tories are not all Hooray Henries and Henriettas ( although there are plenty of course ).
voting L*bour is a vote to perpetuate the misery which you have successfully pulled yourself out of.

Many aspirational D/E people are attracted to UKIP which embodies the authentic flavour of Thatcherism with a soupçon of Front Nationale.

Vote whatever you like; it is a free country
Reply 8
This is the first year I'll be voting and I hold similar views to yourself. I am hoping to graduate with a top salary and I want to be rewarded for my hard work, not 'punished' by labour policies. It helps that we are from lower working class backgrounds because it shows clearly that we've seen every side of the argument so we can make a well informed decision when voting.

You shouldn't be made to feel guilty for your decisions at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I would like to keep this anonymous for personal reasons.

I'm in my final year of a top 10 UK University, it's been quite a journey with lots of highs and lows since finishing A-levels and taking a Gap Year.

I come from the bottom 10% of society; we live in council housing, my father lives off welfare benefits after losing his job around 15years ago and my mother works part-time in Tesco. Our household income is probably around £10-12k per annum, however they are also gambling addicts. Life's been very hard for me, pretty much all my life - no security, no inheritance, no holidays, no role-models, my parents constantly arguing over money etc.

I kind of felt free when I came to university, where I could make a fresh start. During A-levels, I used to just go to the library every evening in my local town to escape the traumas and problems of home, it kind of felt like heaven to me. I managed to achieve straight-A grades at A-level and was determined to make something of my life as I knew if I ****ed up, I'd have nothing to lose anyway, how much worse could life get right haha?

Anyway I should hopefully be graduating this year, I've made lots of great friends and connections in the past 4years through being opportunistic and hungry..pretty much all my friends are middle/upper-middle class..so they've kind of changed my outlook and perspective on things. Like the way I speak now is a lot posher than before, you would probably think I'm middle-class if you met me..

I've also received a job offer from a top commerical law firm in London starting me on around £50k. Obviously this is a lot of money for someone from my background and it feels as though I'm gaining the fruits of my hardwork. Obviously coming from the bottom 10% of society, I will now be in the top 10% (income-wise)..paying 40% tax etc.

I share a lot of values with the Tory party, however when I tell people who know me from the beginning they say it's wrong for someone like me to vote Tory as it's full of toffs and middle/upper-middle class people who I can't relate to or don't care about the normal average joe on the street etc..

Was just wondering about the thoughts/views others had on this given my background..

:smile:

Not at all OP.

I myself come from a background that's even a little poorer than yours and while tempted not to at times (Cameron did test me with his Ukip pandering) I've only ever voted Tory. Ultimately you either agree with the broad principles of a political party or you don't and the more politically active you are, the more you will realise that most people (left and right - unless they are SWP members who seem to think we are gun totting Republicans that burn the poor) actually have vaguely similar aims in politics (a prosperous, inclusive and vaguely liberal society), it's just that people have very different beliefs in how to achieve that.

As somebody once said (i don't have a clue who).. 'I'm a Conservative because i care about where people are going in life, not where they were born'.
Reply 10
You are basically saying if you vote conservative you are voting for your own personal reasons, although you have to look at what they are doing for the rest of society and the impacts on the people you have been brought up with. The conservatives believe in trickle down economics and regressive tax systems, but this may benefit you on your 50K a year.
Similar story with me, I always have to justify why I vote Tories. Had a heated debate with my dad.
Working class people voting Tory has always been more common than people think, about a third of the working class habitually vote working class, I seem to remember. Though this is usually for social rather than economic reasons. I come from a background that would still be considered middle class, but our incomes have usually been at a more working class level. My family is Conservative, and I feel there's certainly a tendancy to only look at what we pay in, and to underestimate what we get out. You grew up hard, but clearly something went right. It can feel a bit like people from working class background who end up voting Tory are pulling up the ladder behind them. And sadly, if you get to know a lot of Tory people, you'll find they can be very disparaging about people like you and your family.
The Conservative Party only ever gets elected with the help of large numbers of working class voters. It achieves this via a long-running con game (which goes back at least the the 19th century) which uses a range of tricks to persuade some working class people that they share their interests.

This can never really be true. The Tories exist to serve the interests of a tiny number of very wealthy people. (the owners of large scale capital) Nowadays, despite the way the Tories try to use patriotism, this is not even a British owning class - much of Tory funding comes from tax exiles and foreign interests. Their biggest backer owns much of Belize and is a major tax avoider. Cameron and Osborne are part of a circle of hedge fund owners, international capitalists and global tax evaders who refuse to participate in ordinary society and use the party as a tool to promote their personal interests.

Everything else is just an illusion, manufactured for the masses.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
The Conservative Party only ever gets elected with the help of large numbers of working class voters. It achieves this via a long-running con game (which goes back at least the the 19th century) which uses a range of tricks to persuade some working class people that they share their interests.

This can never really be true. The Tories exist to serve the interests of a tiny number of very wealthy people. (the owners of large scale capital) Nowadays, despite the way the Tories try to use patriotism, this is not even a British owning class - much of Tory funding comes from tax exiles and foreign interests. Their biggest backer owns much of Belize and is a major tax avoider. Cameron and Osborne are part of a circle of hedge fund owners, international capitalists and global tax evaders who refuse to participate in ordinary society and use the party as a tool to promote their personal interests.

Everything else is just an illusion, manufactured for the masses.

Thankyou for that, you elaborated with knowledge what I know is rotten about the country, amongst other things.
Original post by Mankytoes
Working class people voting Tory has always been more common than people think, about a third of the working class habitually vote working class, I seem to remember. Though this is usually for social rather than economic reasons. I come from a background that would still be considered middle class, but our incomes have usually been at a more working class level. My family is Conservative, and I feel there's certainly a tendancy to only look at what we pay in, and to underestimate what we get out. You grew up hard, but clearly something went right. It can feel a bit like people from working class background who end up voting Tory are pulling up the ladder behind them. And sadly, if you get to know a lot of Tory people, you'll find they can be very disparaging about people like you and your family.

Have you met these people personally? I'm sure Old Etonians would probably look down on the poor but most Tories I've met from CF have tended to be middle class and not hold those attitudes at all.
Vote tory if you want kids that are in similar situations that you were once in to be stuck forever.
Original post by Rakas21
Have you met these people personally? I'm sure Old Etonians would probably look down on the poor but most Tories I've met from CF have tended to be middle class and not hold those attitudes at all.

Yeah. The working class sell outs with no compassion. Just like the OP wants to be.
Original post by saayagain
Yeah. The working class sell outs with no compassion. Just like the OP wants to be.

I've not lost any compassion at all. I just don't believe that your prescription is the right one.
Original post by Rakas21
I've not lost any compassion at all. I just don't believe that your prescription is the right one.

You don't even know what my prescription is...

You vote tory so I know your prescription. Less welfare spending. Less taxes on the rich. Blame poor people for being poor. etc etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending