The Student Room Group

Kent uni...

I received an offer from kent uni for politics and economics and I wanna get into IB , how likely am I?
Be cruel but constructive.
Original post by Stark95
x

Where else have you recieved offers?

Not really a good university, if you want to enter IB. Nonetheless, it isn't impossible.

Along with Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE; UCL and Warwick, the remaining members of the G5, are also top Universities to break into the profession from.
After the G5:

Durham/Edinburgh/Nottingham/Bristol

Cass Business School (London)

York/Bath/St Andrews

King’s/Manchester

^ These are the types of insitutions you want to be aiming for. What are your predicted A level grades?
Reply 2
Original post by Abdul-Karim
Where else have you recieved offers?

Not really a good university, if you want to enter IB. Nonetheless, it isn't impossible.

^ These are the types of insitutions you want to be aiming for. What are your predicted A level grades?

I actually got an offer from York
The equivalent of 3 A*s
Original post by Stark95
I actually got an offer from York
The equivalent of 3 A*s

Take York, with regards to maximising your chances for IB.
Original post by Stark95
I received an offer from kent uni for politics and economics and I wanna get into IB , how likely am I?
Be cruel but constructive.

Tbh it doesnt really matter what university you go to, but going to a target does increase your chances significantly.

The most important thing is to demonstrate you have a genuine passion for finance and the investment banking industry, interviewers are much more interested in this.
Reply 5
Original post by MaGeehkaal
Tbh it doesnt really matter what university you go to, but going to a target does increase your chances significantly.

The most important thing is to demonstrate you have a genuine passion for finance and the investment banking industry, interviewers are much more interested in this.

I thought it mattered for big firms like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan that care a lot about '' pedigree'' and that the only option whereby a lack of prestige was present in your curriculum was really good networking?
Reply 6
Original post by Stark95
I thought it mattered for big firms like Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan that care a lot about '' pedigree'' and that the only option whereby a lack of prestige was present in your curriculum was really good networking?

Interviewers probably don't mind that much, but it is much harder to get interviews in the first place if you don't go to a target.
Reply 7
Original post by wajl
Interviewers probably don't mind that much, but it is much harder to get interviews in the first place if you don't go to a target.

Gotcha , thanks :biggrin:
Original post by wajl

i dont go to a target and have 2 interviews.
Reply 9
i dont go to a target and have 2 interviews.

And that isn't particularly impressive (no offence)
At spring week stage, going to a target would make it more likely for that figure to be higher
I've never not received a first round interview (given I've passed the tests). My experience helps but so does going to a target, I'm sure

OP. I'd take York over Kent any day not just for naming purposes. The degree will be much better
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
And that isn't particularly impressive (no offence)
At spring week stage, going to a target would make it more likely for that figure to be higher
I've never not received a first round interview (given I've passed the tests). My experience helps but so does going to a target, I'm sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, i dont even go to a semi-target. In all honesty if you work hard you will get where you want to be, if i told you the name of the university i went to you would not even believe me.

This is why i discourage people from being deterred not applying for investment banking just because they dont go to a target. Put in a good application, demonstrate your passion and motivations and reasons for applying and i can bet that it will stand out way more than an applicant who goes to a top target with a very vague interest for the industry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Thank you, i dont even go to a semi-target. In all honesty if you work hard you will get where you want to be, if i told you the name of the university i went to you would not even believe me.

This is why i discourage people from being deterred not applying for investment banking just because they dont go to a target. Put in a good application, demonstrate your passion and motivations and reasons for applying and i can bet that it will stand out way more than an applicant who goes to a top target with a very vague interest for the industry.

Yeah for sure, wants you're at the university
But if you have the chance to make things easier for yourself by going somewhere better, why not? That's the advice being given
I'd tell anyone at a non-target to give it a go

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aenigma
Yeah for sure, wants you're at the university
But if you have the chance to make things easier for yourself by going somewhere better, why not? That's the advice being given
I'd tell anyone at a non-target to give it a go

Posted from TSR Mobile

Couldnt agree with you any more to be honest.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest