The Student Room Group

Worst products in different supermarkets

I just opened the pre-packed bag of "Smooth and Golden Charlotte Potatoes" that I bought in Waitrose yesterday. Talk about disappointing. :angry: Absolute rubbish. Soft, poor tasting, somewhat out of date. Not what one would expect from the superior supermarket! However, it's my fault. I've hardly ever had any decent spuds from that shop. Like their bread/cake products, they are awful. Strange really. You would think that such a good shop would make more of an effort on such a basic thing. Marks are miles better. Not that I shop there all the time, but for a treat.

This makes me think - every supermarket seems to have some things they do well and some things that are just awful. Feel free to name more. :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
I just opened the pre-packed bag of "Smooth and Golden Charlotte Potatoes" that I bought in Waitrose yesterday. Talk about disappointing. :angry: Absolute rubbish. Soft, poor tasting, somewhat out of date. Not what one would expect from the superior supermarket! However, it's my fault. I've hardly ever had any decent spuds from that shop. Like their bread/cake products, they are awful. Strange really. You would think that such a good shop would make more of an effort on such a basic thing. Marks are miles better. Not that I shop there all the time, but for a treat.

This makes me think - every supermarket seems to have some things they do well and some things that are just awful. Feel free to name more. :biggrin:

How dare you bismirch the good name of the superior supermarket. :shock:

I'm shocked and incredibly distressed by this. There's nothing wrong with their potatoes.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
How dare you bismirch the good name of the superior supermarket. :shock:

I'm shocked and incredibly distressed by this. There's nothing wrong with their potatoes.

I did feel a sense of shame when I wrote it. It was almost like a betrayal. One does not simply lay into Waitrose.
I did feel a sense of shame when I wrote it. It was almost like a betrayal. One does not simply lay into Waitrose.

Probably some guys in Ocado outfits will come and spirit you away in the nighttime. :console:

Slightly unrelated but it just popped into my head: Essential Waitrose washing up liquid is the best washing up liquid I've ever used. It's so FOAMY. :excited:

:crazy:
Probably some guys in Ocado outfits will come and spirit you away in the nighttime. :console:

The punishment is to be "sent to Aldi", there to be condemned to the endless purchase of inferior vegetables and random items of scuba diving equipment and industrial construction kit.

Slightly unrelated but it just popped into my head: Essential Waitrose washing up liquid is the best washing up liquid I've ever used. It's so FOAMY. :excited:

:crazy:

TBH, Waitrose 'Essential' is somewhere above Tesco Finest for most products. Apart from potatoes, obviously. :giggle:
Don't talk of my businesses potatoes like that! How dare you they're special potatoes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waitrose4life.
Original post by hey_its_me
Don't talk of my businesses potatoes like that! How dare you they're special potatoes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heh, it hurt me more to say it than you to hear it. :colone:
The punishment is to be "sent to Aldi", there to be condemned to the endless purchase of inferior vegetables and random items of scuba diving equipment and industrial construction kit.

TBH, Waitrose 'Essential' is somewhere above Tesco Finest for most products. Apart from potatoes, obviously. :giggle:

Theres nothing wrong with aldi
Reply 9
My god.

When I was a teenager I swore I'd never go out again come the day I discuss the pros and cons of different supermarkets' washing substances.

Have I stumbled into www.Old-Gits-Go-Shopping.com/forum ?
We bought a normal Coconut from Morrisons and when my mum partner drank the milk from it that evening he said ti was very sweet... Turned out it was mouldy
Original post by heavyhandscott
We bought a normal Coconut from Morrisons and when my mum partner drank the milk from it that evening he said ti was very sweet... Turned out it was mouldy

:lolwut:

Grim.
Original post by heavyhandscott

Oh my. That sounds truly horrible. :afraid:

Last year I was cooking with friends and I cut open a green pepper. Inside was a perfectly formed dead moth that had apparently hatched inside it and grown to a certain size, then expired. Trapped forever. :eek:
Original post by Simes
My god.

When I was a teenager I swore I'd never go out again come the day I discuss the pros and cons of different supermarkets' washing substances.

Have I stumbled into www.Old-Gits-Go-Shopping.com/forum ?

It's more like an obsessive compulsive thing with me than Alzheimers. :giggle:
Sainsburys don't seem to do any form of sliced ham that's actually a piece of meat that's been sliced rather than 'reformed'

aldis ham is miles better

this makes me happy, ham sandwiches are an important part of my life.
tesco steaks are no good
Reply 16
I once bought a Chinese duck 'n' pancakes from Sainsbury's that was in date but when I got it home it was all green and furry in just that way that ducks aren't.

Edit: OMG, it was Orville!!!!11!!1!!!
I don't shop at supermarkets anymore.

All food comes from local shops or farms. It's usually better quality as it hasn't been pumped with chemicals or water and around about the same price or cheaper. I can get a lot more at the butchers buying in bulk than I can from the supermarket. Also, at the supermarket you risk buying rubbish processed food which is no good at all.
Original post by Lord Baelish

All food comes from local shops or farms. It's usually better quality as it hasn't been pumped with chemicals or water and around about the same price or cheaper. I can get a lot more at the butchers buying in bulk than I can from the supermarket. Also, at the supermarket you risk buying rubbish processed food which is no good at all.

There are some good local greengrocers and a fishmonger where I live and it's nice to be able to shop there, they do tend to be a bit more expensive than Tesco or Asda or whatever, but the quality is generally good. The fish from the fishmongers is definitely a lot better than supermarket fish. The reason is freshness, the supermarkets are selling fish that has been packed in ice sometimes for days. They really shouldn't be allowed to pass it off as fresh. Apparently the 'posh' chains like M & S and Waitrose do this too.
Original post by Lord Baelish

Aye not completely left the supermarkets but certainly frequent the butcher/greengrocer.

Butchers here does good bulk deals when you buy 5lb of anything, 5lb of mince for a tenner, can't remember the chicken breast fillet deal atm but if you buy in bulk it makes it match or beat the supermarket and these are massive...and don't disappear due to water injection.

Then greengrocer not always as cheap as value veg (which I'll buy, danna care bout ugly veg) but often is, bags of 6-8 peppers 1.50 is always good. Nice thing is as well there's another fruit/veg market a few miles away but although their stuff is DIRT cheap, you really need to be cooking and batching it up that day, as its stuff on the turn and will mould quickly, however the local place has decent prices but its really good stuff.

Quick Reply

Latest