The Student Room Group

Drawbacks on being so chilled..

I'm a guy of few words.

I'm thinking of doing Biomedical Science and then doing Post Graduate medicine - both at UoB. I don't have Biology as an A Level and I frankly don't think I cut the mustard to apply straight for medicine.

I'm also drawn to Chemical Engineering. It's application to other sectors after graduation is appealing to me. However, it will probably cut me off from doing medicine at a lot of institutions in the UK.
Any help on deciding?
I do 3 A Levels, Math, Physics and Chemistry.
cheers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thats a lot of words.

:holmes:
Reply 2
:biggrin: Had to go back and make sure I made things clear
Original post by ChillGod
I'm a guy of few words.

I'm thinking of doing Biomedical Science and then doing Post Graduate medicine - both at UoB. I don't have Biology as an A Level and I frankly don't think I cut the mustard to apply straight for medicine.

I'm also drawn to Chemical Engineering. It's application to other sectors after graduation is appealing to me. However, it will probably cut me off from doing medicine at a lot of institutions in the UK.
Any help on deciding?
cheers.

Are you very fixated on studying Graduate level Medicine? If so, I don't think ChemEng would be a very suitable degree to do at undergrad due to lack of Biology content, studying Biomedical Science I expect would be far better. You could also maybe look into Foundation courses for Medicine.
Moved to medicine.
I'm a guy of few words.

Any help on deciding?
cheers.

Do you actually want to be a doctor? I think first and foremost you need to figure out what your end goal is because it's not very clear from your post. Do some work experience/shadowing in a hospital, see if you like the job, and go from there. If you decide you want to be a doctor, I don't really understand why "other sectors" would be relevant.
Honestly I think that there are some uni's out there that will accept you without biology for medicine. But I think you really need to get some experience volunteering on a ward. I'm doing my AS's and I want to apply to med school (I'm doing maths, bio, chem and music). I'm doing a two hour placement and it's really opened my eyes to what medicine is really like and it's tough man. I originally wasn't going to do biology but I swapped from physics to bio last term. I think you should have a look at all the engineering options as there's so much that you can do in that field. But medicine has a lot of biology in it and I'm not sure whether uni's would think you're 100% committed without it. By all means go for it though. All the best x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Democracy
Do you actually want to be a doctor? I think first and foremost you need to figure out what your end goal is because it's not very clear from your post. Do some work experience/shadowing in a hospital, see if you like the job, and go from there. If you decide you want to be a doctor, I don't really understand why "other sectors" would be relevant.

Thanks guys.

Doing Medicine and becoming a doctor means that my parents are happy and I'm in a stable career. Medicine however in my mind is for life. If for example I wanted out and wished to pursue another career, I don't know if the degree would be transferable to anywhere outside the Medical / Health field. Not only that, if Im still undecided about being a doctor, I will waste 7-8 years doing 2 degrees that I would hate.

UoB are offering ChemEng w/ Business Management + 1 year industrial study. That to me sounds amazing. I could as a graduate go to all types of sectors from Engineering to finance to management.

I'm still in year 12 and undecided with the future as of yet. I will be getting work experience in both sectors, thank you for that advice.

I just wanted to share the dilemma, others always have fresh views and perspectives.
Thanks guys.

Doing Medicine and becoming a doctor means that my parents are happy and I'm in a stable career. Medicine however in my mind is for life. If for example I wanted out and wished to pursue another career, I don't know if the degree would be transferable to anywhere outside the Medical / Health field. Not only that, if Im still undecided about being a doctor, I will waste 7-8 years doing 2 degrees that I would hate.

UoB are offering ChemEng w/ Business Management + 1 year industrial study. That to me sounds amazing. I could as a graduate go to all types of sectors from Engineering to finance to management.

I'm still in year 12 and undecided with the future as of yet. I will be getting work experience in both sectors, thank you for that advice.

I just wanted to share the dilemma, others always have fresh views and perspectives.

The bit about your parents being happy is irrelevant: you're a grown up now and you should make up your own mind independently, and they should support you regardless. Especially since there is no shame in being an engineer, it's a very respectable field.

Medicine is a big commitment and more of a way of life than just a degree, something which you've correctly touched upon, so that shows good insight on your part. You most certainly can use a medical degree for other jobs (e.g. converting to law, finance, grad schemes etc), but you're also entirely correct in saying that that would be a very long-winded (and expensive) way of doing it. Much better to do a normal degree in the first place and save yourself a lot of stress along the way.

Honestly, reading through your posts you sound way more enthusiastic about the prospect of engineering than medicine. Medicine is demanding enough let alone if your heart's not really in it. By all means, do some work experience to see what it's like, but there's no shame at all in deciding its not for you. I'm sure your parents will be more than happy if you become a successful engineer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
You're absolutely right, thanks for your views.

I have a few more months until I start UCAS applications so it should be fine - let's hope I can get experience at worthwhile places!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending