The Student Room Group

Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2015!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yazooo
Do you know anyone whose received a reply? IM was the first app so I'm not sure if the long wait is normal or not :redface:

Nope, I don't know anybody who has received a reply yet.
Having for all intents and purposes been rejected post-interview by Freshfields, I'm now wondering if it's a good idea to hedge my bets by doing a few last minute applications. Does anybody know of any non-rolling largish firms who are still open for applications? (I remember there might have been a list floating around here somewhere but I'm on my phone and can't seem to find it) :smile:
Original post by Kidioteque
Having for all intents and purposes been rejected post-interview by Freshfields, I'm now wondering if it's a good idea to hedge my bets by doing a few last minute applications. Does anybody know of any non-rolling largish firms who are still open for applications? (I remember there might have been a list floating around here somewhere but I'm on my phone and can't seem to find it) :smile:

I'm having the same thoughts :colondollar:

I'm quite sure that Davis Polk are still open and aren't rolling. Worth a try given the application is only a cover letter and CV? Only issue is that they aren't a great firm to use as a hedge given how ridiculously competitive they are and how few places they offer. Same applies to Sullivan & Cromwell.
Anyone else with an offer from A&O?

Not sure if they are your cup of tea, but look at the US firms like Gibson Dunn, Cov & Burling, Davis Polk, Sullivan & Cromwell, Vinson & Elkins, Debevoise & Plimpton, K&L Gates, White & Case, Baker & Mckenzie and Sidley Austin. None of them roll.

Also most firms which are still open will be receptive to an application.

Original post by ChoccyWoccy

Try Stephenson Harwood and Wragge Lawrence Graham.
Original post by liarpoker

Congratulations! :smile:
Congratulations! :smile:

Thank you - Good luck with your upcoming interviews. Not much consolation, but interview performance is only likely to get better/Freshfields interviews are pretty hard too from what I hear.
(edited 9 years ago)
Thank you - Good luck with your upcoming interviews. Not much consolation, but interview performance is only likely to get better.

Thanks!
x

I wouldn't be reluctant about applying to some of the rolling ones at this time as well. For the December / early January deadlines, I know a fair amount of people who applied one or two days before the deadline and have still received AC invites :smile:
Original post by Unsworth
I'm quite sure that Davis Polk are still open and aren't rolling. Worth a try given the application is only a cover letter and CV? Only issue is that they aren't a great firm to use as a hedge given how ridiculously competitive they are and how few places they offer. Same applies to Sullivan & Cromwell.

Great - thanks a lot, mate.

Not sure if they are your cup of tea, but look at the US firms like Gibson Dunn, Cov & Burling, Davis Polk, Sullivan & Cromwell, Vinson & Elkins, Debevoise & Plimpton, K&L Gates, White & Case, Baker & Mckenzie and Sidley Austin. None of them roll.

Also most firms which are still open will be receptive to an application.

Congrats on the A&O offer :smile:

Thanks a lot for the recommendations, didn't realise all of those were non-rolling! Am very much open to the idea of US firms so will certainly check those out.

Haha don't be silly, you have a trillion interviews lined up at least! I've only got one more (which I fully expect to bomb) and then I have no idea what's going on with any of my other applications.

Original post by Defragmentation
I wouldn't be reluctant about applying to some of the rolling ones at this time as well. For the December / early January deadlines, I know a fair amount of people who applied one or two days before the deadline and have still received AC invites :smile:

Nice one, thanks for the words of wisdom!
Original post by meep_meep
I think full sentences are most appropriate.

Original post by J-SP
Doesn't really matter either way as long as it's written well (e.g with bullet points don't make it too short, with full sentences don't make it waffly) and is used consistently.

Only thing with bullet points (especially if your C&P from another document) is to check the formatting in the online application. Before you submit, try printing a copy off (if you can) and check how it looks on the final version.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice!
Reply 1332
Has anyone already had an interview at Latham & Watkins?
Congrats to everyone who has AC and interviews! Best of luck!

I've applied to 6 firms (mostly in Dec/early Jan) and had a rejection from one (Mishcon). No news from any others - with this being my second round of applications (last round only 1 interview), starting to wonder if I'm doing something majorly wrong!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1334
Is there a right way of answering the 'why haven't you managed to secure a TC so far' question in an interview/has anyone ever been asked this before?
Original post by jokut

I was wondering this too.
Original post by ap28
Is there a right way of answering the 'why haven't you managed to secure a TC so far' question in an interview/has anyone ever been asked this before?

That seems like a cruel question!
Original post by TrainingChopeful
Congrats to everyone who has AC and interviews! Best of luck!

I've applied to 6 firms (mostly in Dec/early Jan) and had a rejection from one (Mishcon). No news from any others - with this being my second round of applications (last round only 1 interview), starting to wonder if I'm doing something majorly wrong!

Hi
Can I ask when you applied to Mishcon and when you received the rejection?
Thanks
Original post by DonnieCA
Hi
Can I ask when you applied to Mishcon and when you received the rejection?
Thanks

Hi - I applied on 28th October and received the rejection on 6th of Jan :smile: good luck for your application!
Original post by jokut

Original post by Chianti1
I was wondering this too.

Somebody in the thread said that they had been invited to a Latham interview, but that was quite a while ago. Haven't heard anything else in the last month or more. Hopefully they get moving soon.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending