The Student Room Group

The term "young professional"

Is it just me or does anyone else feel this term really really annoying and pretentious?

Looking for somewhere to live and I think I will go crazy if I see young professional in the description box one more time. It just sounds soooo pretentious. I mean what person describes themselves as a "young professional".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would describe myself as a young professional.
Not sure I'd want to describe myself as a yuppie, it has negative connotations. But how else are you meant to describe yourself?
Young professional is exactly as it sounds. I don't see any problem with this term :confused:
Reply 4
Original post by datpiff
Is it just me or does anyone else feel this term really really annoying and pretentious?

Looking for somewhere to live and I think I will go crazy if I see young professional in the description box one more time. It just sounds soooo pretentious. I mean what person describes themselves as a "young professional".

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. You might as well just tell people what you do. Also the definition of professional is really vague - the way I understand it you're only a professional if you need a specific certification to do your job (i.e. you absolutely need some form of (inter)nationally recognized licensing or you simply can't practice).

So trainee doctors, lawyers and accountants are most certainly professionals.

Traders, bankers, musicians and chefs are not.
Being a hairdresser or a cashier does not make you a young professional
Original post by Blue_Mason
Being a hairdresser or a cashier does not make you a young professional

To an estate agent it does; in the same way that all flats are luxury flats and all houses are close to good schools.
I would describe those with specialities as young professionals e.g web developers, investment bankers, doctors, lawyers and accountants
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by effofex
Yes. You might as well just tell people what you do. Also the definition of professional is really vague - the way I understand it you're only a professional if you need a specific certification to do your job (i.e. you absolutely need some form of (inter)nationally recognized licensing or you simply can't practice).

So trainee doctors, lawyers and accountants are most certainly professionals.

Traders, bankers, musicians and chefs are not.

That's what annoys me. They haven't a clue what the term means. Technically I fall under that category (I work in education and qualified to do so) but I'd never call myself a "young professional". I'd just say what I do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Young professional- or yuppie, is soo 1980s
Reply 10
it means a young-ish person in a profession

but in estate agent speak it is code for 'small, urban and expensive for what it is. no students or people on benefits.'
If I wanted to live with someone who was young and had a steady job I would probably ask for a young professional, not a young doctor/lawyer/trader/teacher/programmer/lab technician/regular technician/manager/other.
I actually agree.

If you are a doctor and you call yourself a doctor, it's fine, same with a lawyer, but "professional" is not a ****ing job and it sounds as if you are trying to make out you have a lot of social standing without actually saying what your job is.
it's easier than them writing out a list of traits they want in a tenant, it basically means they want someone with a reliable income, who isn't a student and can be trusted not to wreck the place

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by yo radical one
I actually agree.

If you are a doctor and you call yourself a doctor, it's fine, same with a lawyer, but "professional" is not a ****ing job and it sounds as if you are trying to make out you have a lot of social standing without actually saying what your job is.

Do people who are outwardly proud of their career annoy you? That sounds like symptomatic jealousy.
Original post by james1211
Do people who are outwardly proud of their career annoy you? That sounds like symptomatic jealousy.

Lol

Not at all - If you're going to brag about your job, at least say what it is.

If a person is a top doctor or a top lawyer, I think that is extremely admirable, but stereotypical career people who think that 30k a year and a company car makes them the epitome of success, really do need to piss off.
Reply 16
Lol

Not at all - If you're going to brag about your job, at least say what it is.

If a person is a top doctor or a top lawyer, I think that is extremely admirable, but stereotypical career people who think that 30k a year and a company car makes them the epitome of success, really do need to piss off.

I would call myself a young professional because i'm proud of what I do - that isn't bragging. I would also tell somewhat what it is that I do if they asked.

It sounds like you have a problem with the generally accepted meaning of "professional". That is your problem not anyone elses.
Original post by james1211
I would call myself a young professional because i'm proud of what I do - that isn't bragging. I would also tell somewhat what it is that I do if they asked.

It sounds like you have a problem with the generally accepted meaning of "professional". That is your problem not anyone elses.

Then be happy.

You're the one who was quoting me, if you dislike what I have to say that's not my problem, but I've never been the one who resents the success of another.
Reply 18
Then be happy.

You're the one who was quoting me, if you dislike what I have to say that's not my problem, but I've never been the one who resents the success of another.

Meriam Webster says professional means:
: relating to a job that requires special education, training, or skill
: done or given by a person who works in a particular profession

I think it's unreasonable to say everyone other than top doctors or lawyers need to piss off. My career is building surveying, which requires both a degree and membership of a royal institution. It doesn't pay amazingly well, but i would call it professional yet you would not. Why draw the line so high?
Reply 19
I'd say the only issue is that they use the term very loosely?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest