The Student Room Group

Being told to smile or "cheer up luv" on the street by men

Scroll to see replies

I've had this and it's worst when you get the 'cheer up, it might never happen' at a time when it already has. I'm a generally very smiley person but the few days after my grandad died or after my ex-fiance left me for a woman 10 years younger than me I was pretty low. The last thing you want to hear when you've lost a close relative and you're mourning is "it might never happen". It already did and no one has the right to tell you how to feel regardless!
Original post by Messiah Complex
Neither are men. Statistically, the chances of you being raped are very low. Grow up.

Well then we have very different ideas of what low are. The point was, they are far higher against women than they are men, so you're point that men don't make a fuss about these things is ridiculous, of course they don't because there's no risk to them.
Just say to them, " Im happy thanks" or something, they will totally not expect you to reply with anything and it will shut them up as they dont know what to respond with.

I totally agree that it isnt a good thing and that because youre not smiling doesnt mean youre not happy.

I also understand as a guy how annoying it is that males drool over women so much, regardless of the age of the man (its usually middle aged to old me over young girls)

Just remember were not all like that :wink:
Original post by Antifazian
Well then we have very different ideas of what low are. The point was, they are far higher against women than they are men, so you're point that men don't make a fuss about these things is ridiculous, of course they don't because there's no risk to them.

Nobody said anything about rape and making a fuss about such a thing. Again, learn to read and grow up. What was said was that touching in clubs happens both ways frequently which is true and yet men don't make a fuss about it. Having your bum or leg felt in a club isn't rape. Stop making that ridiculous logical jump FFS. Its rather tiresome.
You are all a bunch of misery-guts. I bet if someone told you to "not look so happy", you would tell them to shove it.

"How dare they tell me to cheer up!"

What a pathetic joke, and what a pathetic sign of the contrarian drive for total independence that society is calling for.
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
Yeah it would be upsetting really thinking that people are scared of you even when you aren't doing anything to warrant it :frown:

It's just how it is :dontknow:
Reply 186
"Cheer up"
"I knew you had a lovely smile"

It has happened to me from women before. My resting face looks serious. It also drives me insane when family members constantly ask me 'what's wrong?'. Nothing, until someone asks me that!
I get told by woman that
Neither are men. Statistically, the chances of you being raped are very low. Grow up.

Actually laughed. Thanks for that.
Original post by SophieSmall
Actually laughed. Thanks for that.

It's the truth. Sorry if the facts do not align with your victim complex though. Lets talk about the false accusations instead and the chances of a man being falsely accused of being a rapist, having his entire life tarnished through what is effectively a modern day witch hunt. Oh right, won't talk about that now will you? On top of this, men who admit to having sex with women are then put under further strain by the CPS and are required to give evidence of consent due to a 'reverse burden of proof' which is essentially legal rhetoric for 'guilty until proven innocent'. Name me one other crime that has the burden of proof that way around? Oh wait, again you can't.

The most shocking thing about the UK is so many women claim they've been raped and then when its found through the courts that they have not been raped they go back to living their normal lives while the life of the acquitted male is often left in tatters. Again, you won't talk about that now will you? Women who are found to have falsely accused men should be imprisoned. If a woman accused me of rape and then I was proven not to have done so I'd be dragging her arse through the civil courts and if I couldn't do that then I'd fund, out of my own pocket, a private prosecution to see the liar receive the custodial sentence she deserves.

Simple reason you won't mention false accusations though is that the feminist brigade like to pretend all men are opportunist predators waiting to pounce on them. You really need to get over yourselves because most men are not interested in spoilt, entitled, jealous, bitter, middle class overweight feminists anyway. Sorry, but there are very few very good looking feminists. Most of them are as described above and have gone to university, joined a few societies where they can mouth off and suddenly think every man wants to take advantage of them. Nah, get over yourselves. Just because daddy told you that you are his little princess and can do whatever you want and get away with it by being all sweet and innocent doesn't mean others don't see you for what you are. Your underlying manipulative ways are there for all to see.

Always the mans fault of course. :rolleyes;
Cheer up luv
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
Some lady asked if I was okay because when I walk I seem miserable as **** apparently. Exactly, I'm I suppose to walk everyone with a cheeky smile on my face like a madman?The weather is ****, how can one smile -_-

On the other hand one time I thought of something funny as I walked and didn't realise I was smiling, and this guy said rather aggressively, "What are you grinning at?" I don't understand why these people think they have the right to intimidate others.
It's the truth. Sorry if the facts do not align with your victim complex though. Lets talk about the false accusations instead and the chances of a man being falsely accused of being a rapist, having his entire life tarnished through what is effectively a modern day witch hunt. Oh right, won't talk about that now will you? On top of this, men who admit to having sex with women are then put under further strain by the CPS and are required to give evidence of consent due to a 'reverse burden of proof' which is essentially legal rhetoric for 'guilty until proven innocent'. Name me one other crime that has the burden of proof that way around? Oh wait, again you can't.

The most shocking thing about the UK is so many women claim they've been raped and then when its found through the courts that they have not been raped they go back to living their normal lives while the life of the acquitted male is often left in tatters. Again, you won't talk about that now will you? Women who are found to have falsely accused men should be imprisoned. If a woman accused me of rape and then I was proven not to have done so I'd be dragging her arse through the civil courts and if I couldn't do that then I'd fund, out of my own pocket, a private prosecution to see the liar receive the custodial sentence she deserves.

Simple reason you won't mention false accusations though is that the feminist brigade like to pretend all men are opportunist predators waiting to pounce on them. You really need to get over yourselves because most men are not interested in spoilt, entitled, jealous, bitter, middle class overweight feminists anyway. Sorry, but there are very few very good looking feminists. Most of them are as described above and have gone to university, joined a few societies where they can mouth off and suddenly think every man wants to take advantage of them. Nah, get over yourselves. Just because daddy told you that you are his little princess and can do whatever you want and get away with it by being all sweet and innocent doesn't mean others don't see you for what you are. Your underlying manipulative ways are there for all to see. What the actual ****?

Always the mans fault of course. :rolleyes;

I completely abhor false accusations, do no make assumptions about me. I actually will talk about because yes it is a problem. But it's not relevant to your claim.

I find it laughable the way you approach the idea of those women who claim to have been raped but who do not get a sentence out of the man through court. It's hardly surprising rape convictions are low considering in the vast majority of cases it's he said vs he said. But that's just the way it is, it's a hard thing to prove and as such not many are convicted.

I like how you are getting incredibly hostile against me. when I have done nothing to wrong you.The only thing I am saying is I laugh at the idea you put forward that rape is not a prevalent thing or a statistical likelihood for women, the statistics say otherwise. Take a look.

And while you're at it, sort out your attitude. You talk about me having a victim complex, but you're the one who seems so defensive.
I completely abhor false accusations, do no make assumptions about me. I actually will talk about because yes it is a problem. But it's not relevant to your claim.
Yes it is relevant and you don't want to talk about it because it does not further the illogical argument you're trying to put forward.

I find it laughable the way you approach the idea of those women who claim to have been raped but who do not get a sentence out of the man through court. It's hardly surprising rape convictions are low considering in the vast majority of cases it's he said vs he said. But that's just the way it is, it's a hard thing to prove and as such not many are convicted.

Do you have any idea how the law actually works? Its him vs her, yes. However, if a man admits to sex then the onus is on HIM to prove there was consent. The reason so few are convicted is (a) due to a lack of evidence or multiple holes in evidence provided by the accuser and (b) because it never happened. Oh wait, just like any other crime then. The reason so few cases get to court is because some women do not report rape. You cant however blame men for a woman not reporting a crime.

I like how you are getting incredibly hostile against me. when I have done nothing to wrong you.The only thing I am saying is I laugh at the idea you put forward that rape is not a prevalent thing or a statistical likelihood for women, the statistics say otherwise. Take a look.

Rape is not prevalent. Find me statistics that prove it is prevalent. You cant because they don't exist. Go on, do it. A MINORITY of men rape women. A MINORITY of people murder others. You are delusional beyond belief if you honestly think there is a strong chance of you being raped.

Also, I'm not getting hostile towards you. You just think I am because of the victim complex you have.
Yes it is relevant and you don't want to talk about it because it does not further the illogical argument you're trying to put forward.

Do you have any idea how the law actually works? Its him vs her, yes. However, if a man admits to sex then the onus is on HIM to prove there was consent. The reason so few are convicted is (a) due to a lack of evidence or multiple holes in evidence provided by the accuser and (b) because it never happened. Oh wait, just like any other crime then. The reason so few cases get to court is because some women do not report rape. You cant however blame men for a woman not reporting a crime.

Rape is not prevalent. Find me statistics that prove it is prevalent. You cant because they don't exist. Go on, do it. A MINORITY of men rape women. A MINORITY of people murder others. You are delusional beyond belief if you honestly think there is a strong chance of you being raped.

Also, I'm not getting hostile towards you. You just think I am because of the victim complex you have.

Plenty and plenty of sources say the statistics of women being raped are up to 1/6 and between 1/3 and 1/4 for sexual assaults. Please tell me how that isn't significant?

Haha you are laughable. Not hostile? Don't make me laugh more, my sides might split. Anyway I'm off to get dinner, have a nice night.
Plenty and plenty of sources say the statistics of women being raped are up to 1/6 and between 1/3 and 1/4 for sexual assaults. Please tell me how that isn't significant?

Cite them then. Oh wait, you can't. Show me evidence of these claims otherwise we might think you're a little liar. If there are plenty of them then it shouldn't be an arduous task for you to perform before or after dinner.
I tell girls to 'cheer up' all the time. :confused: Sometimes I go out and get on buses and trains and go into cafes with the sole intention of finding girls who look a bit sad and I cup their cheeks in my hands and softly say 'gurl, cheer up. You'd look so much prettier if you'd just smile.'

They really seem to appreciate it.
I find this annoying. If I am happy and I don't look it, it makes me feel like i'm just being miserable. If there is something wrong it just makes me feel worse
I recently had a guy maybe in his 40s tell me to smile, when I asked him why I needed to smile and went on a little tangent about how women didn't have to smile we could look serious, he got all "ooo you're feminist?!"
It's also annoying when someone says something to me and I ignore them and then I'm apparently "stuck up" etc
It depends how it's said, if it's said sweetly it doesn't bother me, but if it's said in a patronising way I usually give them the finger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply