The Student Room Group

Missed the 15th Jan deadline, now what??

Scroll to see replies

I have serious concerns that your whole a level scenario has not been thought out. if you are struggling to get good grades why on earth did you continue with 4 a levels. you should be concentrating on 3 to help improve these results. unis make offers on 3 a levels not 4. the other question only you can answer. do you want to study chemistry or do engineering or computing. on the grades you showing you are not likely to get into the leading unis as they all want abb+. however there are many other decent unis who accept 280 to 300 points and it might be worth you looking there at whatever you decide
Reply 21
Original post by swanseajack1
I have serious concerns that your whole a level scenario has not been thought out. if you are struggling to get good grades why on earth did you continue with 4 a levels. you should be concentrating on 3 to help improve these results. unis make offers on 3 a levels not 4. the other question only you can answer. do you want to study chemistry or do engineering or computing. on the grades you showing you are not likely to get into the leading unis as they all want abb+. however there are many other decent unis who accept 280 to 300 points and it might be worth you looking there at whatever you decide

I took four because my lecturers were confident I could do it, and if I wasnt coping well I could drop one or just do AS further maths, which is still an option, we've nearly finished the content. I've been lead to believe that if I have As an Bs in maths this year which I have been getting, that I'd be able to get a B in further maths. I also stuck with maths because if there was any doubt in life what i wanted to do, i was sure it would involve maths and that is why i decided to get the grades in it if not anything else. I am resitting maths and phys exams.
Yes i did work for my exams last year and I probably let chem get in the way towards the end when I found it easier, spent more time making sure i got that grade too and not waste this chance, while convincing myself i was slipping in maths towards the end because i don't have the brains for maths when really i got distracted too much.
All your feedback is great but people telling me i'm not gonna improve from last year on tsr is a whole different story compared to the start of the year. Cant you see that if i'm gonna end up with two Cs in subjects other than chem that i may be apprehensive to even go to uni. If its true that i wont b able to do a course i like or that pays a bit better than the worse degrees in the future fine ill have to live with that, but i dont wanna throw my chances away and give up early by applying asap to a course im not that confident i should do. All i like ask for the same grades so i thought id take the chance to apply for one im more confident spending money on at uni, at least then id be working towards something and that may be what i need. Last yr i did better in chem coz i wanted to do it further coz it was the only one i could understand enough to take interest in, its easier. Being in a fmaths class i felt i needed to be more ambitious and im grateful because that made me work so much harder. Right now i totally feel useless so if you do know which lower unis are good enough to do a course that's gonna affect the rest of my life, id be incredibly grateful for any help on what i should be doing right now, now what i could have should have would have done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Basically omitted results? OP, are you saying you haven't /won't be putting down all your grades?

Also, I think you would be better off applying next year, you don't know what you want to do and going to study something you aren't 100% about makes you way more likely to drop out of uni.
Don't submit an application you don't really want to do. Really, don't. You are allowed one false start on student finance and then that's it. If you embark on a course that you don't really like, stick it out for a year, go into the second year and then decide to drop out, you will not be entitled to 3 years' student finance for a whole new degree. That's not even considering the emotional upset involved.

Your application is already late now, so rushing it won't make a difference. I'd firmly advise taking a gap year and submitting an application on time with known grades once you have decided what you really want. If you don't want to do this, there is still Extra and Clearing, not to mention that some universities will consider you even though you are late. However, do your research very carefully and don't just rush into things. Unless you are miraculously lucky, you are going to end up wasting money on a course you don't really like, just because they were the only ones prepared to take you at this stage.
After a very quick search Aberdeen Bangor Swansea are all looking at around 300 points for computer science. there will undoubtably be numerous others. you are simply not going to get into places like Birmingham Leeds etc without very good grades. that is a fact and anyone telling you otherwise is not helping you. similarly unis look at 3 a levels not 4 so whoever advised you to do 4 has not helped you either. if a student is outstanding then whether they should take 4 may be considered and I am talking about A*A*AA or better. for the rest taking 4 a levels is likely to put in danger the chances of them getting the required grades asked or by unis. it is no use asking a question on here if you are not prepared for honest answers
Original post by Nat_LPS

1. Thank you, do you think it's best i apply for chem and materials courses anyway asap, as 7 days may not b enough. But should i go ahead with ucas extra for chem or materials if im still not sure?

2. My grades in chem arent as good atm but im sure to be better than a C, but what do u recommend if i do not bad in the year then the exam is bad?

3. Whats putting me off year out is the fact im not sure if ill be able to improve enough in maths and phys to get into an alright uni, i dont wanna end up just doing chem because i sort of like it if its not gonna be worth it.
Im aoundin negative but whenever i do alright grades i screw the exams up anyway, applying what ive learned to everyday problems in engineering just looks like itll be even further out of my reach.

4. Sorry to go on about it, but i just wanna be reassured if i put the work in itl be worth going to uni this year. If its my aptidude to these subjects that arent so great im not sure if i should be changing the course.

5. I have to do something soon instead of considering everything, should i wait til i talk to my lecturers or something about getting grades?
Thanks a lot i really appreciate it.

1. It is very important that your personal statement on your UCAS application form is directed towards to a particular type of course. This personal statement cannot be changed once your form has been submitted - all you can change is the courses that you apply for, within the seven days following submission. The same personal statement will attach to any Extra or Clearing applications that you make.

It will be impossible to write a statement that shows sufficient enthusiasm for both chemistry and for materials science.

This is why it is important that you decide to apply EITHER for chemistry OR for materials engineering - and why you are being advised to delay making a UCAS application until you have decided this.

Have a look at typical personal statement for both these subjects (there is a separate section on TSR with these) and start to put together your own draft. Share it with your tutors for their comments.

2. I would recommend working for the best achievable grades and apply to UCAS once the results are out.

3. Stay optimistic - if you are achieving good grades on assignments, you ought to be able to tackle the exams. Do you have a learning support co-ordinator? You might need extra time for the exams, and they can advise you on this.

4. This is why you would be better getting the grades before applying for university.

5. Check with your tutors that they would provide support for you to make a UCAS application in Autumn 2015.

All the best and try not to worry. Waiting to apply next year once you have your grades should not cause you any problems in the future and is likely to be very helpful to you in making the decision about which courses will suit you best.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by Holmstock
1. It is very important that your personal statement on your UCAS application form is directed towards to a particular type of course. This personal statement cannot be changed once your form has been submitted - all you can change is the courses that you apply for, within the seven days following submission. The same personal statement will attach to any Extra or Clearing applications that you make.

It will be impossible to write a statement that shows sufficient enthusiasm for both chemistry and for materials science.

This is why it is important that you decide to apply EITHER for chemistry OR for materials engineering - and why you are being advised to delay making a UCAS application until you have decided this.

Have a look at typical personal statement for both these subjects (there is a separate section on TSR with these) and start to put together your own draft. Share it with your tutors for their comments.

2. I would recommend working for the best achievable grades and apply to UCAS once the results are out.

3. Stay optimistic - if you are achieving good grades on assignments, you ought to be able to tackle the exams. Do you have a learning support co-ordinator? You might need extra time for the exams, and they can advise you on this.

4. This is why you would be better getting the grades before applying for university.

5. Check with your tutors that they would provide support for you to make a UCAS application in Autumn 2015.

All the best and try not to worry. Waiting to apply next year once you have your grades should not cause you any problems in the future and is likely to be very helpful to you in making the decision about which courses will suit you best.

Thanks for the help. I may need to re-think my personal statement and generally focus on one course as I'd written one for both materials and chemistry which one lecturer actually encouraged from the start :s. I realise I have to try harder to stick at things I like if I find them hard, as it probably turn out worse if i try to do something i dont like and already arent great at, just not sure where the cut off line would be. Hope it's down to something simple like revision methods then for the exams. There's no harm in giving these exams as good as a go as I can in the mean time anyway if I'm going to consider any degree related to them. I'll consider thinking more about which course more after results if I find myself out of timebefore them, trying to reduse -it's the end of the world' mind frame aha.

All these comments have helped me think straight thank you so much, sorry if I've been annoying but I really appreciate it.
Reply 27
After a very quick search Aberdeen Bangor Swansea are all looking at around 300 points for computer science. there will undoubtably be numerous others. you are simply not going to get into places like Birmingham Leeds etc without very good grades. that is a fact and anyone telling you otherwise is not helping you. similarly unis look at 3 a levels not 4 so whoever advised you to do 4 has not helped you either. if a student is outstanding then whether they should take 4 may be considered and I am talking about A*A*AA or better. for the rest taking 4 a levels is likely to put in danger the chances of them getting the required grades asked or by unis. it is no use asking a question on here if you are not prepared for honest answers

sorry if i gave the impression i was not welcoming honest answers, a little bit of direction was all i was after and your comments have been extremely helpful. I needed to think rationally and assess what i can do much better. I was a bit annoyed at myself just taking what people have to say as I became pretty lazy in checking information, I was only trying to make sure I made the most of opportunities I guess, saying as much detail as clearly as i can, asking qs. I'm sorry though if I've instead come across sarky or whatever, these comments i made were all when I was really worried. Of course I never expected to get into ABB+ without putting more work then i did for AS at least, and can especially see now that taking four this year was not a great idea. thanks again.
If you're not 100% sure what you want to do then I would chime in with everyone else encouraging you to wait, do more research and put your efforts into getting the best grades you can.

If you take a gap year and get a placement with http://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry/ then that will give you valuable experience, some insight into some of the careers that might be available to you with different degrees, a bunch of cash in your pocket AND the time to apply for university starting in autumn 2016.
Original post by Nat_LPS
sorry if i gave the impression i was not welcoming honest answers, a little bit of direction was all i was after and your comments have been extremely helpful. I needed to think rationally and assess what i can do much better. I was a bit annoyed at myself just taking what people have to say as I became pretty lazy in checking information, I was only trying to make sure I made the most of opportunities I guess, saying as much detail as clearly as i can, asking qs. I'm sorry though if I've instead come across sarky or whatever, these comments i made were all when I was really worried. Of course I never expected to get into ABB+ without putting more work then i did for AS at least, and can especially see now that taking four this year was not a great idea. thanks again.

f you wish to study chemistry look nto Aberdeen strathlcyde keele and Loughborough. if you are looking into materials look at swansea
Reply 30
f you wish to study chemistry look nto Aberdeen strathlcyde keele and Loughborough. if you are looking into materials look at swansea

i shall.
Reply 31
Original post by Juno
I think you're an idiot for a simple reason, but I don't go round saying it on TSR.

Applying when you don't know what you want to do is a stupid idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need some help
So i had a deferred entry for 2015 but i cancelled it and decided to reapply and retake a few units to boost my grades
So my school first refused to give me a buss word so i was forced to apply independently
Then they agreed to do my reference but they never and the deadline passed
I completed every thing on the application the only thing missing was the reference i contacted them but they never replied
I'm in a messed up situation can any one advice me
I canceled my deferred Place and now i have no uni place and cant get a reference from any one else
Reply 32
Original post by al ghazi
I need some help
So i had a deferred entry for 2015 but i cancelled it and decided to reapply and retake a few units to boost my grades
So my school first refused to give me a buss word so i was forced to apply independently
Then they agreed to do my reference but they never and the deadline passed
I completed every thing on the application the only thing missing was the reference i contacted them but they never replied
I'm in a messed up situation can any one advice me
I canceled my deferred Place and now i have no uni place and cant get a reference from any one else

You need to find a reference. Try speaking to your school again and explaining how important this is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending