The Student Room Group

What do you think about romanians ?

Hello everybody ! Starting next year I indend to study in UK and I really want to know how romanian students are treated there . That's because I don't want to be discriminated because of my nationality and also I hate those wrong perceptions which say "All romanians are gypsies " or "they are all thieves and low iq people" . These kind of generalisations have formed because of the romans who emigrated in UK in the past years ,but they are totally separate from romanians. They should be the ones blamed for their unadequate behavior not the innocent romanian students. So , my questions are :
1.What's your opinion about romanians ?
2.In your experience you saw a romanian student discriminated just because he is romanian ? Or people looking differently at him ?
3.Generally at universities how romanians are treated ? They are treated equal ?
4.They can integrate easily in british societies or they stay just with the romanian society ?

Scroll to see replies

Romanian women are cute
The men? Like any other man
Reply 2
there are so many fit romanians where i live
I have no strong opinion on Romanian people or have heard anyone say anything nasty about them. I imagine most people wouldn't be able to place your accent anyway.
Reply 4
I'm Romanian too so thank you for making this thread. Just about 2 days ago, a teacher told me that one of her former students who is studying in the UK cannot get used to living there even after 3 years, because many people mistreat him for being Romanian, both at the university and in the city. I really hope that his case is just unfortunate and that it hasn't become a pattern in most cities and at most universities :frown:
Reply 5
Exactly ,that's what i'm talking about ... This unfair situation demoralise many romanian students and makes them feel rejected by the british society ... But the problem is that the reality is far from the perception about romanians and nobody have the patience to get to know a romanian before drawing fast conclusion s ...eventually the one who discriminates will find out that romanians are good people, but after how long ? We will still live until that time ?
My ex was Romanian. The same as any other people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I forgot to mention in my previous post the fact that the guy I was talking about finds it quite difficult to find a part-time job because some employers cannot get along with the idea that he is Romanian. All these things make me quite anxious about next year :s-smilie:

OP, what uni and course are you thinking of doing in the UK?
I don't have any prejudices like that.

I had a very rough experience with some tuica once though. Never again :frown:

We're not all like Nigel Farage and his fellow knuckle draggers.
Reply 9
Original post by Democracy
I had a very rough experience with some tuica once though. Never again :frown:

:lolz:
Reply 10
All the Romanians I've ever met were really nice. Tbf, I was in Romania. There's not a lot of Romanians near where I live though, but there are quite a lot of Poles, and everyone seems to get along fine.
romanian women are sexy as hell

romanian men are proper men and not westernised pussies

s'all good with the romanians
No comment.
Romanians are extremely poor and come from one of the poorest countries in Europe. Romanians generally work in unskilled work such and are desperate to live in the UK
Original post by ReligionIsPoison
Romanians are extremely poor and come from one of the poorest countries in Europe. Romanians generally work in unskilled work such and are desperate to live in the UK

In fact, we study a lot here, but the opportunities do not allow us to use the information we gather in high school/university appropriately, that's why Romanians migrate to the UK.
I'm Romanian too, and I ask myself these questions often. Thank you for starting this thread!
I've never truly been discriminated against because of my nationality, I hope that this won't change when I begin university in England in September.
I think about then as I would any other human being
I like romanian and bulgarian girls.
Years ago I had a "phase" wearing all chequered clothes, and I mean all, including my shoes, hat, scarf everything. I turned up like that at college and a really tall nasty dumb bitch asked me "Is it tradition to wear chequers in Romania?"

Yeah, that was before the anti-Romania propaganda, so most people didn't think much about it at all. Growing up in Romania I never felt fully fitted in because of my Iranian father, so to be honest I have always dealt with this or that ****. I just don't care anymore, and my accent always passes as British so people just assume I was born in the UK. I jokingly tell people who ask me where I am from that there are 5 possible answers to that question :lol:
Original post by ahmshere
Hello everybody ! Starting next year I indend to study in UK and I really want to know how romanian students are treated there . That's because I don't want to be discriminated because of my nationality and also I hate those wrong perceptions which say "All romanians are gypsies " or "they are all thieves and low iq people" . These kind of generalisations have formed because of the romans who emigrated in UK in the past years ,but they are totally separate from romanians. They should be the ones blamed for their unadequate behavior not the innocent romanian students. So , my questions are :
1.What's your opinion about romanians ?
2.In your experience you saw a romanian student discriminated just because he is romanian ? Or people looking differently at him ?
3.Generally at universities how romanians are treated ? They are treated equal ?
4.They can integrate easily in british societies or they stay just with the romanian society ?

Romanian student on my course, doesn't get treated any differently from anyone else, if anything international students seem to be respected for coming to a strange country and learning a new language at such a young age. It's just how certain newspapers portray Romanian gypsies that's negative, and to be fair no one with a brain reads them.

Quick Reply

Latest