The Student Room Group

Going medicine?

Alright so i'm planning to go medicine but ..uhmm... the problem is that medicine requires chemistry and i suck big time when it comes to chemistry.. : D .sooooo as a conclusion , i dropped chemistry in the A level stage . well mainly because ...idk.. i'm just not a big fan of chemistry . like , for example last year ,in biology , i took an A , as for maths , i took a B ( very high B ) and for chemistry ... i uh ... uhmmm ... took a D ;-; . SO im gonna repeat my chemistry units on june but my question is .. can i go to a medical university without chemistry as an A level subject? ( I'm planning to apply to Europe if it helps lel )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by stevezarif12
Alright so i'm planning to go medicine but ..uhmm... the problem is that medicine requires chemistry and i suck big time when it comes to chemistry.. : D .sooooo as a conclusion , i dropped chemistry in the A level stage . well mainly because ...idk.. i'm just not a big fan of chemistry . like , for example last year ,in biology , i took an A , as for maths , i took a B ( very high B ) and for chemistry ... i uh ... uhmmm ... took a D ;-; . SO im gonna repeat my chemistry units on june but my question is .. can i go to a medical university without chemistry as an A level subject? ( I'm planning to apply to Europe if it helps lel )

Um basically no not as far as i know.
Perhaps you could see if you're eligible for a foundation year or access program. Otherwise the only option really is to do a science degree first and then apply to medicine as a graduate.

Search up E Rintoul on youtube, he helps a lot.
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Search up E Rintoul on youtube, he helps a lot.

Im sorry but what does that have to do with the subject :biggrin:
Im sorry but what does that have to do with the subject :biggrin:

Look at your first post;

'the problem is that medicine requires chemistry and i suck big time when it comes to chemistry'
Reply 5

Chemistry A level isn't made a requirement for reading Medicine just on a whim. If you are that bad at Chemistry then I suggest you consider an alternative degree,
@WhoDaresWins : so this channel is for helping me understand chemistry unit 1 and 2?

@Compost : I do have dentistry in mind but i dont want to go to dentistry until iv'e applied to all medical universities available

*Thank you for the replies :wink:

@Compost : I do have dentistry in mind but i dont want to go to dentistry until iv'e applied to all medical universities available

I believe Chemistry A-Level is also pretty much a requirement for Dentistry too.
oh dear o-o ... well then ...uhm.... ****..
(edited 9 years ago)
Proficiency in English language is also a prerequisite for entry into Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Asklepios
Proficiency in English language is also a prerequisite for entry into Medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i did take a 7 in ielets ... so uhm i think that wouldn't be a problem? Plus , most of the european universities require an ielets level of 5 or more . so i think the language won't be a problem
Reply 11
Well i did take a 7 in ielets ... so uhm i think that wouldn't be a problem? Plus , most of the european universities require an ielets level of 5 or more . so i think the language won't be a problem

You make quite a few mistakes (prepositions for example) but most UK natives won't have any idea what kind of a level of English is required. The assumption is 'perfect, fluent'. Don't worry about it. In the UK there's a lot of focus on speaking perfect English and a lot of snobbery around education and intelligence, it's sort of tied up in the class system. Plus we're absolutely dreadful at foreign languages so don't have any real understanding of what counts as very advanced in a language and what doesn't. Just be open to working on correcting your mistakes and otherwise let comments on your English go over your head.
Original post by Ronove
You make quite a few mistakes (prepositions for example) but most UK natives won't have any idea what kind of a level of English is required. The assumption is 'perfect, fluent'. Don't worry about it. In the UK there's a lot of focus on speaking perfect English and a lot of snobbery around education and intelligence, it's sort of tied up in the class system. Plus we're absolutely dreadful at foreign languages so don't have any real understanding of what counts as very advanced in a language and what doesn't. Just be open to working on correcting your mistakes and otherwise let comments on your English go over your head.

Well I'm not planning to go to the UK , Australia or the USA ... by europe i meant Poland , Spain , Czech republic or Germany ( although i think i cant go there easily ) ... orrr if none of these options work out , i'll have to get back to Egypt and study there . problem is though , going to medicine in Egypt is just as hard as going to medicine in Germany . and for the people commenting earlier about chemistry as an important element in dentistry too , Dentistry universities in egypt accept 4 subjects of AS and A level combined , even if you took Bio and Physics (AS) aswell as Economy and business (A2) , you will still enter . sure , you might face some problems but .... idk .. hopefully , i'll sort it out.
Reply 13
Well I'm not planning to go to the UK , Australia or the USA ... by europe i meant Poland , Spain , Czech republic or Germany ( although i think i cant go there easily ) ... orrr if none of these options work out , i'll have to get back to Egypt and study there . problem is though , going to medicine in Egypt is just as hard as going to medicine in Germany . and for the people commenting earlier about chemistry as an important element in dentistry too , Dentistry universities in egypt accept 4 subjects of AS and A level combined , even if you took Bio and Physics (AS) aswell as Economy and business (A2) , you will still enter . sure , you might face some problems but .... idk .. hopefully , i'll sort it out.

Germany only has Medicine in German and is also tricky re. the lack of breadth of A-levels. You would probably have to do the IB or Studienkolleg or Abitur to apply there.

The issue with qualifications is that you need to take the right number of A-levels and the right subjects to get in where you want to apply. You could take 2 A2s and 2 AS levels, but that would likely rule you completely out of applying to anywhere in Europe. Look at what they want where you want to go, not what they want where you come from. In Denmark, for example, you need AS English and A2 Maths to get in. There's no budging on that just because you don't need those for Medicine in the UK.
No.
There are only 2 universities in the UK that allow you to get into medicine without Chemistry.
So either change your career plan or limit yourself to only 2 universities.
Original post by tcameron
No.
There are only 2 universities in the UK that allow you to get into medicine without Chemistry.
So either change your career plan or limit yourself to only 2 universities.

OP doesn't appear to be planning to apply to the UK anyway. The amount of help we can give on a UK based website to someone not sure which country in Europe they are planning to apply to is probably going to be limited, but a useful post for others, anyway.
Reply 16

Re. what you say here - have you been looking at what universities require for Medicine, or in general? They usually require a higher grade for certain subjects, including Medicine. I find it very unlikely that anywhere accepts 5 for Medicine.

http://www.ielts.org/institutions/global_recognition/setting_ielts_requirements.aspx
Original post by Ronove
Germany only has Medicine in German and is also tricky re. the lack of breadth of A-levels. You would probably have to do the IB or Studienkolleg or Abitur to apply there.

The issue with qualifications is that you need to take the right number of A-levels and the right subjects to get in where you want to apply. You could take 2 A2s and 2 AS levels, but that would likely rule you completely out of applying to anywhere in Europe. Look at what they want where you want to go, not what they want where you come from. In Denmark, for example, you need AS English and A2 Maths to get in. There's no budging on that just because you don't need those for Medicine in the UK.

Well i did take 3 AS subjects , but i'm going to improve my chemistry grade this june so that hopefully it'll be something like A B+ B- . plus , if i take chemistry this year, im going to literally fail every single chemistry A2 unit . iv'e asked 7 of my friends and they all said the same thing "chemistry is waaaay much harder than biology or physics " . also , i would take alot of time to concentrate on getting a good grade in chemistry A2 which can possibly result in lower grades in Maths or biology (A2) . I had lots of free time to concentrate on bio u4 this jan vacation , i felt less rushed and more confident ... well i dont know , but this is how i felt when i dropped chemistry this year . iv'e got alot of free time to concentrate on other subjects or to even concentrate on my social life , i think its that used to take alot of my time without even paying off . Keeping chemistry aside though , i have applied to many European universities such as Silesia , charles , warsaw ... and damn i always forget that spanish university's name. well , i have [edit:Tried to apply in germany] but all they want is A's or A*s in A levels ... medicine is quite a thing in germany. Anyway , iv'e been accepted by Silesia ( till now ) and i'm going to do an exam , i'll be given an option to do chemistry or physics as the second part of the exam , i'll choose physics :wink: . Well yeah , i do attend A2 physics periods whenever im free and i do solve physics pastpapers obtaining a D~B for each paper ( note that i dont attend all periods neither do i obtain all notes from teachers . )
*Sorry for the long comment :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ronove
Re. what you say here - have you been looking at what universities require for Medicine, or in general? They usually require a higher grade for certain subjects, including Medicine. I find it very unlikely that anywhere accepts 5 for Medicine.

http://www.ielts.org/institutions/global_recognition/setting_ielts_requirements.aspx

Well idk .. i think that's what iv'e heard from the most of them .. i'm retaking ielets in this February anyway
wait.... don't tell me i mixed up between A2 and A level again ... *facepalm*

Quick Reply

Latest