The Student Room Group

Question for Atheists

Ok I have nothing against your beliefs, I have teachers who are atheist, but I was wondering do you guys think about what happens after death? Like have you thought about it like "what happens if I die and there is a God, or just something?"
Also was there a particular reason why you became Atheist (assuming you were brought up with religion) or were you brought up not believing?

Just clearly want to clarify here, before someone accuses me of it, I'm not taking an opportunity to create hate or whatever rubbish any one wants to come out with, I genuinely find it interesting

Not sure what area this goes in either

Scroll to see replies

There is nothing after we die. There is no particular reason I have no religious beliefs, neither of my parents are religious but nothing was ever pushed on me, they let me figure out everything entirely on my own.
I was brought up behind an atheist, but I've made my own religion, where in the afterlife I can just imagine things and they will happen. Does that make me religious? 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Well when you die, you die. That's it. Your brain stops working, so you stop thinking and anything that constituted "you" (other than your physical body, which is largely irrelevant) is gone.
If I die and there is a God, then he'd better have a pretty good explanation for all the s*** that happens in the world. He sounds like a complete d*** to me. Plus, If I died and a did get in to Heaven ('cause I'm not at all a bad person, really) then my not believing on while alive would be irrelevant. If this God is so cruel that he would make me (and every other person of every religion except the one that is true) a non-believer and then punish us for this, then that's not someone I would want to be with for eternity.
I wasn't exactly excluded from religion as a child but neither was it forced upon me. One of my earliest memories is me telling my religious Grandmother that I don't believe in Jesus - I just never have. When I was younger I wouldn't have been able to tell you why, exactly...the whole mythology of it just seemed completely illogical, irrational, paradoxical and stupid for me to believe. (Not trying to be offensive here, just showing how I think).
I don't believe all the religious stuff out there though for this and believe the explanation is scientific. I think we're made like computers and thats why we understand them so well. The CPU is our brain and controls everything. The ALU is to do with logic and this part of the brain being of a high standard is why some people are more logical than others. The case is the skeleton and skin. It protects the other components of the human being. The orifices and hands and feet are like the heat sinks and fans allowing heat to be dispersed from the body to regulate temperature.

I believe the bit we're not understanding yet is the silicon and transistors and the link between them and our genetic and neurological make up. Of course this will depend on biological advancement but I think our genetics are like those and the moment we realise this will also signify the biggest breakthrough in artificial intelligence ever. However, this understanding is on such a deep level its beyond our current area of knowledge.

Also, it'll be the stage whereby we learn to help ourselves and it'll be the next major advancement in medicine because we'll be able to swap out parts much like a computer and replace our faulty genetics with overrides etc. I think on a deep level our genetic and neurological are just a load of scripts executing and running on an extremely deep level that we're not capable of understanding yet. Of course, it is well known we have a Genetic Code and understanding is growing all the time.

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/resources/whats_a_genome/Chp2_1.shtml

I believe this is OUR BINARY. It is our LANGUAGE at machine level.

http://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/

Trust me man. I'm an engineer. I believe the key to human advancement is cracking this code.
Reply 5
Atheism isn't a belief. It's common sense.
I never really entertained the idea of there being a god. It was one of those things like the tooth fairy, and Santa Claus. Maybe when I was really young, before I remember having an informed opinion, I believed (or should I say had no reason NOT to believe) but by the time I was 7-8 I was telling the teachers at school there was no God. Around that age you start going from being filled with wonder and believing anything is possible, to kinda becoming aware that the constraints of reality exist and then eventually realise they make the existence any such mythical being impossible.

As far as when we die? I'm convinced that we just get stuck under the ground and become decaying cells, with no future existence or purpose. I've never seen credible evidence to suggest otherwise.
Reply 7
Original post by Messiah Complex
I don't believe all the religious stuff out there though for this and believe the explanation is scientific. I think we're made like computers and thats why we understand them so well.

I like to think of The Quran as the computer manual and prayer is like talking directly to the Manufacturer.
Original post by JackS94
Well when you die, you die. That's it. Your brain stops working, so you stop thinking and anything that constituted "you" (other than your physical body, which is largely irrelevant) is gone.
If I die and there is a God, then he'd better have a pretty good explanation for all the s*** that happens in the world. He sounds like a complete d*** to me. Plus, If I died and a did get in to Heaven ('cause I'm not at all a bad person, really) then my not believing on while alive would be irrelevant. If this God is so cruel that he would make me (and every other person of every religion except the one that is true) a non-believer and then punish us for this, then that's not someone I would want to be with for eternity.
I wasn't exactly excluded from religion as a child but neither was it forced upon me. One of my earliest memories is me telling my religious Grandmother that I don't believe in Jesus - I just never have. When I was younger I wouldn't have been able to tell you why, exactly...the whole mythology of it just seemed completely illogical, irrational, paradoxical and stupid for me to believe. (Not trying to be offensive here, just showing how I think).

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chris Cartner
I was brought up behind an atheist, but I've made my own religion, where in the afterlife I can just imagine things and they will happen. Does that make me religious? ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha umm I don't exactly think so :colondollar:
Original post by JackS94

Nah no offence taken, as bad as it is for me to say this I have entertained the thought that what if when you die you're just dead but then I do believe in God and heaven/hell
Original post by Messiah Complex
I don't believe all the religious stuff out there though for this and believe the explanation is scientific. I think we're made like computers and thats why we understand them so well. The CPU is our brain and controls everything. The ALU is to do with logic and this part of the brain being of a high standard is why some people are more logical than others. The case is the skeleton and skin. It protects the other components of the human being. The orifices and hands and feet are like the heat sinks and fans allowing heat to be dispersed from the body to regulate temperature.

I believe the bit we're not understanding yet is the silicon and transistors and the link between them and our genetic and neurological make up. Of course this will depend on biological advancement but I think our genetics are like those and the moment we realise this will also signify the biggest breakthrough in artificial intelligence ever. However, this understanding is on such a deep level its beyond our current area of knowledge.

Also, it'll be the stage whereby we learn to help ourselves and it'll be the next major advancement in medicine because we'll be able to swap out parts much like a computer and replace our faulty genetics with overrides etc. I think on a deep level our genetic and neurological are just a load of scripts executing and running on an extremely deep level that we're not capable of understanding yet. Of course, it is well known we have a Genetic Code and understanding is growing all the time.

http://www.genomenewsnetwork.org/resources/whats_a_genome/Chp2_1.shtml

I believe this is OUR BINARY. It is our LANGUAGE at machine level.

http://ds9a.nl/amazing-dna/

Trust me man. I'm an engineer. I believe the key to human advancement is cracking this code.

That is an interesting take on it. That second link was just too much for me :laugh: it was too much science as I was skimming through it
I prefer the term 'agnostic', as one cannot be 100% sure if there is a supernatural deity or not. Nonetheless, I feel that religion sometimes contradicts fundamental human nature (e.g. sexual behaviour), causes unnecessary tensions and violence amongst people and can offer frightningly oppressive homophobic and misogynistic views. After looking at how badly religion can affect basic things like scientific research, along with my aforementioned reasoning, I decided that my religion was not a true benefit to the society I lived in and therefore problematic - probably not something an omnipotent being would invent. I do, however, acknowledge that many religious people are excellent members of our society whilst maintaining their beliefs.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kaiwid23
I prefer the term 'agnostic', as one cannot be 100% sure if there is a supernatural deity or not. Nonetheless, I feel that religion sometimes contradicts fundamental human nature (e.g. sexual behaviour), causes unnecessary tensions and violence amongst people and can offer frightningly oppressive homophobic and misogynistic views. After looking at how badly religion can affect basic things like scientific research, along with my aforementioned reasoning, I decided that my religion was not a true benefit to the society I lived in and therefore problematic - probably not something an omnipotent being would invent. I do, however, acknowledge that many religious people are excellent members of our soceity even whilst maintaining their beliefs.

Same

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm expecting it to be lights out, total unawareness of anything like the void you get from being blackout drunk.
Original post by Mahbuba1997
Ok I have nothing against your beliefs, I have teachers who are atheist, but I was wondering do you guys think about what happens after death? Like have you thought about it like "what happens if I die and there is a God, or just something?"
Also was there a particular reason why you became Atheist (assuming you were brought up with religion) or were you brought up not believing?

Just clearly want to clarify here, before someone accuses me of it, I'm not taking an opportunity to create hate or whatever rubbish any one wants to come out with, I genuinely find it interesting

I think nothing happens after death - your body has shut down,including your brain, so how could you possibly have thoughts.
I am atheist because in my mind there is absolutely no logical way a "god" could exist. Also as a scientist things are usually assumed to be untrue until solid evidence is found to prove it true.
:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noobynoo
Atheism isn't a belief. It's common sense.

Atheism is a belief. You BELIEVE that God doesn't exist.
What happens if I die and there is a god? I'll have to deal with it won't I?

What happens if you die and there is a god/gods, but you've been following completely the wrong religion?

Out of the thousands of religious beliefs around the world and throughout history, what makes you so certain that your religion is the right one? Surely theres as much chance in you believing wrong by following the wrong religion as there is me believing wrong by following none. You might say you find x or y piece of evidence for your religion compelling, but don't you think all people with strong religions convictions found the "evidence" for their beliefs equally convincing?

The way I see it, theres just as much chance that you're wrong as there is that I am, I would personally prefer to base my beliefs and moral choices on my own personal, independent judgement (as much as possibile) and experience than by being spoon fed it by religion, media and society... and based on that, I have come to the conclusion that it is unlikely that there is a god, and even if there is, I've got more chance of being wrong about which particular god anyway... so I might as well just try to be the best person I can, because choosing a religon won't make much difference
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mahbuba1997

We don't know, and neither do you.

The difference is, we are honest and admit this.
Original post by I Procrastinate
Atheism is a belief. You BELIEVE that God doesn't exist.

I'd like to correct this to "believing that there is no such thing as a 'god' " because saying we believe God doesn't exist is a statement of us acknowledging he does exist and we just don't believe it. This is incorrect.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending