The Student Room Group

Feminism and men's representation at uninversity

Scroll to see replies

Are you the person in the picture or are you quoted in the article?
Original post by SophiaLDN
Are you the person in the picture or are you quoted in the article?

I'm the eponymous men's rep. I'm quoted in the article.
You're the rep? :awesome:

Just reading the article, the irony of this quote is strong. The arguments that there is need for representation for one gender and not another is pretty much the justification for keeping women out of politics for hundreds of years..

Men are not discriminated against because they are men though they may face discrimination because of other factors and as such do not need specific representation,”

Original post by The Angry Stoic
I'm the eponymous men's rep. I'm quoted in the article.

Well done. I think a men's rep is definitely needed. They might not face discrimination based on gender in comparison to women, but that doesn't mean there aren't other issues. Male students need a safe space too.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
You're the rep? :awesome:

Just reading the article, the irony of this quote is strong. The arguments that there is need for representation for one gender and not another is pretty much the justification for keeping women out of politics for hundreds of years..

80% of my time in the role is spent dealing with people with those sorts of idiotic misandrist views.
80% of my time in the role is spent dealing with people with those sorts of idiotic misandrist views.

Well I actually have tons of respect for putting yourself out there and it must be extremely demanding mentally.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Well I actually have tons of respect for putting yourself out there and it must be extremely demanding mentally.

I do have to deal with a bit of abuse. Its ok though.
I don't see how anyone can think that this is a bad thing. If there's a female rep then there should be a male rep too, just as if there were only a male rep then there should be a female rep too. Equality, yo.

While women certainly face a lot more discrimination based on their gender than men do, to say that men have no problems of their own is quite ignorant (unfortunately the statement that men have no problems compared to women and are therefore not worth considering is one that I've seen a shameful amount of people spouting on t'Internet). Good on you for taking on the role dude :yy:
Awesome! Try that on a university campus in Canada, however, and the men's rep office will be firebombed by a mob of cackling, fuzzy-armpited, megaphone-wielding feminists yelling "Down with the patriarchy!" and "No hate speech on campus!" or "Arrest the penis monsters!" within a couple of hours. That's assuming the Federation of Students would even permit such an office to exist in the first place (which they wouldn't).
Original post by Dandaman1
Awesome! Try that on a university campus in Canada, however, and the men's rep office will be firebombed by a mob of cackling, fuzzy-armpited, megaphone-wielding feminists yelling "Down with the patriarchy!" and "No hate speech on campus!" or "Arrest the penis monsters!" within a couple of hours. That's assuming the Federation of Students would even permit such an office to exist in the first place (which they wouldn't).

I don't even have an office...
I don't even have an office...

Oh my.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I don't see how anyone can think that this is a bad thing. If there's a female rep then there should be a male rep too, just as if there were only a male rep then there should be a female rep too. Equality, yo.

While women certainly face a lot more discrimination based on their gender than men do, to say that men have no problems of their own is quite ignorant (unfortunately the statement that men have no problems compared to women and are therefore not worth considering is one that I've seen a shameful amount of people spouting on t'Internet). Good on you for taking on the role dude :yy:

I'd say that bold comment is pretty ignorant. Simply not true.
I think having men's unions/club/support groups would be a good idea. I'm a bit of a feminist and although it annoys me to no end to see all these douches on youtube pissing and moaning over feminist videos saying how men have it so hard, I do think that there are issues regarding being each gender, just because of social pressures and stereotypes and expectations and such.
Original post by Spetznaaz
I'd say that bold comment is pretty ignorant. Simply not true.

I'm basing it historically, and I'd wager that it's true in modern day society simply because a lot of people still hold "traditional" values to heart instead of moving forward with the times.

Would you say contrary to the statement, or would you say that the amount of gender-based discrimination is divided equally between the sexes? :holmes:
Original post by Drunk Punx
I'm basing it historically, and I'd wager that it's true in modern day society simply because a lot of people still hold "traditional" values to heart instead of moving forward with the times.

Would you say contrary to the statement, or would you say that the amount of gender-based discrimination is divided equally between the sexes? :holmes:

I'd say that there are both advantages and disadvantages of being either sex, no one gender is oppressed or disadvantaged against the other (or by the other).

I'd also go on to say, Men and women are different and instead of the whole "who has it worse" argument, we should accept and embrace the differences.
Original post by Spetznaaz
I'd say that there are both advantages and disadvantages of being either sex, no one gender is oppressed or disadvantaged against the other (or by the other).

I'd also go on to say, Men and women are different and instead of the whole "who has it worse" argument, we should accept and embrace the differences.

Interesting points, ones I'm finding hard to disagree with. Except that women are still being oppressed in many parts of the world, either by religious doctrine or reactionary societies.
Of course you hear about that far more than you hear about men being oppressed by the same things, that could either be biased reporting or simply women having a harder time in these parts of the world due to those things.

That being said (and here comes the contradiction), like yourself I would rather stay clear of the "who has it worse" argument, but that doesn't mean that that we can disregard the above as if gender discrimination doesn't exist. You're quite right though, there are advantages and disadvantages to owning either set of genitalia.

May I ask how a representative is appointed and how the positions are decided at your university.

Why couldn't you have set up a men's rights club or something along those lines and avoided all the controversy?

P.S I fully support your cause and think a male rep is necessary if a female one exists.

Thanks.
The comments by Anna Bradshaw and Rachel Holland in that article are horrendous. Even if you take what they say at face value and agree that a men's rep is redundant, what on earth is wrong with having one?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheMagicalConch
May I ask how a representative is appointed and how the positions are decided at your university.

Why couldn't you have set up a men's rights club or something along those lines and avoided all the controversy?

P.S I fully support your cause and think a male rep is necessary if a female one exists.

Thanks.

You think a men's rights club would have avoided controversy? That's a good one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending