The Student Room Group

How should I comfort her?

So, the other night I heard my university flatmate crying. The next morning I asked her what was wrong and she held my hand, hugged me and confided that she felt all alone and was suffering from depression. Now, I understand that depression is a complex illness but is there anything I can do to help her feel more at home. I know it sounds pathetic, but I like cooking and baking. Do you think if I baked some biscuits and a cake that would help her? Or is that too wimpy?
Reply 1
Tell her to go to a GP. Depression is serious.
Original post by zed963
Tell her to go to a GP. Depression is serious.

She is going to see a GP. What I mean is there anything I can do personally to help?
That would help. Ask her if she's willing to talk about it, talking helps a lot. Be a good listener and make sure you're not patronising.
Reply 4
Original post by confucianism1
She is going to see a GP. What I mean is there anything I can do personally to help?

Just be natural, not too pushy and let her explain things if she wants too.
Ask if anything needs doing.
Reply 5
yeah, ask if she's seen a doctor about it (a more subtle and sensitive way of telling her to do to the doctors if she hasn't already). Anything else you can do? Umm.. maybe just spend more time with her to keep her company, maybe hot drinks, boardgames and films.
Original post by nhtw
yeah, ask if she's seen a doctor about it (a more subtle and sensitive way of telling her to do to the doctors if she hasn't already). Anything else you can do? Umm.. maybe just spend more time with her to keep her company, maybe hot drinks, boardgames and films.

Ok, thank you.
Original post by Protégé
That would help. Ask her if she's willing to talk about it, talking helps a lot. Be a good listener and make sure you're not patronising.

Ok, thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by confucianism1
So, the other night I heard my university flatmate crying. The next morning I asked her what was wrong and she held my hand, hugged me and confided that she felt all alone and was suffering from depression. Now, I understand that depression is a complex illness but is there anything I can do to help her feel more at home. I know it sounds pathetic, but I like cooking and baking. Do you think if I baked some biscuits and a cake that would help her? Or is that too wimpy?

Bake her some cookies and just let her talk. You don't really have to say anything, but her having someone to vent to will be beneficial.

Apart from that there is not much else YOU can do. Her GP would be the main person to help her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending