The Student Room Group

Weightgainers: are they worth it?

I'm looking to start bulking this week, starting Monday morning. I've used creatine before and I noticed some good strength gains whilst complimenting my diet. I've never tried using a weight gainer, but I have read of the advantages for using it - my question is; for my aim of adding muscle and strength, should I find a good weight gainer that has creatine added within it or go for the stand alone?

Thanks
They're only "worth it" if you get it on sale, 20%+. Otherwise you're paying a really big markup for the convenience of it already being mixed, and it isn't all that inconvenient to simply add 1scoop of whey, 2scoops of oats and 1/2 a scoop of dextrose into a blender/shaker and mix.

It costs more upfront to buy everything individually, but you get A LOT more for your money.

GN/MP have a January sale on at the minute, have a look at what they have reduced.
No they're not as Scoobie has shown

Have a read of the supplement section here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757&p=52215207#post52215207
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
They're only "worth it" if you get it on sale, 20%+. Otherwise you're paying a really big markup for the convenience of it already being mixed, and it isn't all that inconvenient to simply add 1scoop of whey, 2scoops of oats and 1/2 a scoop of dextrose into a blender/shaker and mix.

It costs more upfront to buy everything individually, but you get A LOT more for your money.

GN/MP have a January sale on at the minute, have a look at what they have reduced.

Original post by Angry cucumber
No they're not as Scoobie has shown

Have a read of the supplement section here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3014757&p=52215207#post52215207

I see. So you're basically buying it for the 'ease of use' mainly.

Thanks!
Original post by Balloon Baboon
I see. So you're basically buying it for the 'ease of use' mainly.

Thanks!

Pretty much! It's also better to try to try to get used to eating lots of real food when you start off, rather than to rely on calorific shakes and then have to struggle getting used to eating more down the line! Better to make the change now rather than later.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Pretty much! It's also better to try to try to get used to eating lots of real food when you start off, rather than to rely on calorific shakes and then have to struggle getting used to eating more down the line! Better to make the change now rather than later.

I do eat pretty well and clean and have been doing for some time now. However, I simply can't afford to eat as much quality food as I would prefer.
MyProtein Oats and Whey is on sale at £30 for 5kg at the moment (goes back up to £40 in Feb), which essentially is a 50% protein mass gainer free of all the rubbish they normally contain. Pretty tasty stuff too.
Original post by WoodyMKC
MyProtein Oats and Whey is on sale at £30 for 5kg at the moment (goes back up to £40 in Feb), which essentially is a 50% protein mass gainer free of all the rubbish they normally contain. Pretty tasty stuff too.

Thanks dude. I've heard MyProtien are pretty good. I'll grab myself one today! I may look at buying Creatine again as I have run out now
Thanks dude. I've heard MyProtien are pretty good. I'll grab myself one today! I may look at buying Creatine again as I have run out now

Fair enough, I've only tried chocolate smooth flavour which is pretty nice, I hear the rest are nice as well but don't know personally :wink:
In my experience the only benefit they give you over a normal protein shake is the calories. So if you can't get enough calories then sure they're worth it as they will definitely help you put on MASS. whether that mass is muscle or fat is dependent upon how hard you work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lewif002
In my experience the only benefit they give you over a normal protein shake is the calories. So if you can't get enough calories then sure they're worth it as they will definitely help you put on MASS. whether that mass is muscle or fat is dependent upon how hard you work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm mainly just hitting heavy major lifts work
I'm mainly just hitting heavy major lifts work

Sounds good to me as long as you get enough protein from other sources like chicken/egg/milk etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not even that really. whether it's an 80% whey or a cheapo mass gainer, they're all about 400kcal per 100g give or take. Mass gainers are just cheap and easy calories with a bit of extra protein, which can be a good thing if you recognise that.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Not even that really. whether it's an 80% whey or a cheapo mass gainer, they're all about 400kcal per 100g give or take. Mass gainers are just cheap and easy calories with a bit of extra protein, which can be a good thing if you recognise that.

True. Some mass gainers you can get are the real deal. I had one which per 150g it had 50g protein and 1100 calories. That was the real ****. Also cost me an arm and a leg though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
True. Some mass gainers you can get are the real deal. I had one which per 150g it had 50g protein and 1100 calories. That was the real ****. Also cost me an arm and a leg though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd never pay anywhere near as much for a mass gainer as I would for a quality whey protein - carbs and fats are much cheaper per gram than protein is, and since the protein content is much higher in a whey protein obviously it should cost more than a mass gainer.

Also, that sounds like a very strange product.
To be 1100 calories per 150g with 50g of protein, it would have had to have contained just protein and fats, with no carbs. If the other 100g of that 150g serving were fats, at 9kcal per gram that'd be 900 kcals. Then for the 50g of protein, at 4kcal per gram of protein that would add up to 200kcal. 900 + 200 = 1100. Hardly a mass gainer without carbs, sounds more like a bag of whey protein was taken, 2/3s of it were taken out and replaced with fat extracts, which are miles cheaper than whey. So if you paid as the same standard cost as a bag of whey, you would have been ripped off majorly. Either that, or the nutritional values of the product was all BS.
You could make the same shake yourself, using just over 60g of an 80% whey protein to make up to 50g of protein and then chucking in 100g of olive oil to make up the fats, there will also be some extra calories from a little fats and carbs in the whey so you'd end up with over 1100kcal and it'd be cost-effective. That said, I'd advise against consuming 100g of fat in one sitting either way :lol: Just making a point.

Quick Reply

Latest