The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Got a U in my recent mock and we did the 2014 paper. Need help with how much AS chemistry revision I should do everyday in order to get an A.I'm also getting confused by nomenclature and isomers, can anyone help me with this?

Sorry to hear that. At least you can find out where you went wrong etc and work on that. I suggest doing an hour a day because you probably have other subjects to revise for. Nomenclatureand isomers are relatively easy, have you tried youtube videos, i hear E rintoul is good. What helped me was past papers. I have literally done them all. They help as you know what types questions they are likely to ask and work from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haemo
Anyone started their ISA task? (AQA)

No, not yet but i think we will be starting it next week. Have you started it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ergo30
Hi everyone, I'm new to this and am doing three sciences and maths for A-level and am currently in year 12. I'm hoping to get an A in chem and currently working at B/C level according to my test results. Any tips on how I should go about revising to get an A? My board is edexcel.

Hard combination! Not doing edexcel but i would like to achieve an A aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 563
Original post by SFarooq
Hard combination! Not doing edexcel but i would like to achieve an A aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is difficult to concentrate on all of the subjects, especially since I personally have to spend a lot of time on a topic in order to get an A. Chemistry is my biggest concern currently :\
Original post by Isabella~
Really? What topic are you on??

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've finished developing fuels, and the elements of life, and just started the atmosphere!
Original post by ergo30
It is difficult to concentrate on all of the subjects, especially since I personally have to spend a lot of time on a topic in order to get an A. Chemistry is my biggest concern currently :\

Same with me! I usually focus on a topic for three days, then learn it inside out then scan throught it on the weekend to see if i have learnt it. Starting early is better than late especially with other subjects. The best way is by doing past papers as you know how they are gonna ask you questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone help me with this question:

"The following mean bond enthalpies have been obtained from a data book. Use these values to calculate the standard enthalpy of combustion of cyclopropane.

C-C = 347 kjmol-1
C-H= 413 Kjmol-1
C=O = 805 kjmol-1
O=O = 498 Kjmol-1
O-H = 464Kjmol-1

I got the equation for the combustion to be C3H6 + 4.5H20 ---> 3H20 + 3C02
Then I did total products - total reactants
I got 1882 which I think is wrong?
Can someone help me

Edit: Apparently it is the other way round when it is combustion, can someone explain this to me? So -1854 is the answer?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ergo30
Hi everyone, I'm new to this and am doing three sciences and maths for A-level and am currently in year 12. I'm hoping to get an A in chem and currently working at B/C level according to my test results. Any tips on how I should go about revising to get an A? My board is edexcel.

Is your textbook good in terms of being able to revise from it?

I'm on OCR A, but I find that chemistry is a lot of rote learning from the textbook which makes it a lot easier than physics (in terms of levels of application). That's just my opinion. Do a lot of past paper questions, as a lot of certain "types" of questions are repeated every year and this helps you to get over the hurdles of the few questions that they do like to continuously ask.

You back on TSR? :smile:
Reply 568
Original post by Magnesium
Is your textbook good in terms of being able to revise from it?

I'm on OCR A, but I find that chemistry is a lot of rote learning from the textbook which makes it a lot easier than physics (in terms of levels of application). That's just my opinion. Do a lot of past paper questions, as a lot of certain "types" of questions are repeated every year and this helps you to get over the hurdles of the few questions that they do like to continuously ask.

You back on TSR? :smile:

The textbook is ok but every textbook has its limits in how useful it can be.
Thanks, that sounds like gd advice.

Haha, I'm just temporarily using it to help with my revision from the guy who used to use it. :smile:
Original post by ergo30
The textbook is ok but every textbook has its limits in how useful it can be.
Thanks, that sounds like gd advice.

Haha, I'm just temporarily using it to help with my revision from the guy who used to use it. :smile:

Hmm that's true. If your textbook isn't good, I recommend making sure that your notes in class are really clear and you can use that to aid the textbook. I find I do that in some of my subjects :smile: Otherwise, buying a revision guide is also good to consolidate the info since I know the textbook goes on about unnecessary things you don't need :tongue:

Ahh, thought you were George for a minute there! :tongue:
Reply 570
I miss a day of school everyweek :angelblush:

I hate school :cry2:
Its a horrible place.

:ninjagirl:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Why and how is this related to AS chemistry?
Original post by Dinaa
I miss a day of school everyweek :angelblush:

I hate school :cry2:
Its a horrible place.

:ninjagirl:

:console:

Just came back from study leave and I see so many idiots everywhere :mad:

And I'm so scared about mock results...the dread :cry2:

Why you miss a day of school per week though? :console:
Original post by ergo30

Past papers, past papers and even more past papers

Try hitting A's and understand where you go wrong in each and every question and what they expect from you :smile: Looks at examiner reports as well since they provide you examiner tips which help you :smile:

I'm currently on Edexcel too :smile: What exactly are you struggling with?

I'd recommend using Chemrevise and the fat blue Edexcel textbook and the CGP for extra additional help :smile:
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Why and how is this related to AS chemistry?

:lolwut:

This is a thread for anyone who needs any help with AS Chemistry or the sorts so its related to AS Chemistry :erm:
Posted from TSR Mobile

She didn't show the relationship between As chemistry and her school absence, so I can make sense of how her statment relates to the thread.Can you then, theoretical physicist? 😂
Hey guys I have a mock exam tomorrow of the 'OCR F321 As Chemistry 2014' past paper.
I was wondering if anyone can help me by giving me ADVICE from the questions. PLEEEAAAASSSEEEEE!!!!!!!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just did that mock exam it's pretty tough.
OOOOHHHH dont say that!!! PLEASE!!!!! help me!!!!!
From one chemistry survivor - i meant student- to another
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Just did that mock exam it's pretty tough.

PLeeeaseeeee!!! HELP ME!!!

Quick Reply

Latest