The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mahel
Hello everyone, I'm a GCSE student like a lot of people in this subthread and a few things came to my mind. When you get your GCSE results, how long do you have to confirm what sixth form you want to go to? How do after results day 'late applications' work? What are the chances of getting into a sixth form via a late application?

Thanks

For the schools in my town you had to confirm your place with their sixth form on results day. Some schools reserve places for people who didn't apply though got decent grades. I didn't bother applying anywhere except my old school but hated it so I emailed a few schools in my town asking if they still had spaces on results day. The majority just asked for my grades and told me they would get back to me.

I managed to get a place in my current sixth form a few days before year 12 actually started. Me and my friend both applied however she didn't manage to get in as they said they were full though if any places open up they would contact her. She got an email asking if she would join a week later but didn't.

A lot of people drop out of sixth form within the first few weeks anyway so more spaces open up. It depends on the school but even if you were a late applicant, if you got decent grades you would most likely get in. I would suggest applying to schools now though to avoid this as the week between results day and finding out if I had a place was stressful.
My Maths teacher in school is actually the head of sixth form in our school. She said that, if you get amazing results in your GCSE's you'll get in the sixth form straight away or atleast have higher chances - depending on the sixth form. If you don't get as good of a result, it will take you longer and be more difficult for you to get in one. There's still time, for now just apply for some sixth forms, go to the interview and they will probably give you a conditional offer.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Hello all, I'm at Dartford Grammar right now which is amazing because it's the 8th best sixth form in the country right now but I also applied to 5 other sixth forms. My concern is that I won't get a conditional offer due to mock grades but my actual GCSE grades would be much better so I was wondering how the process of late applications works and how long you have to confirm an offer. As I'm at the 8th best sixth form right now, I don't want to lose out on confirming a place there but I also want to apply for other places, preferably Townley Grammar. I sat their maths test yesterday and don't think I did well however I think I'll have the grades in the summer.
It depends where you go. At my school you would confirm it either on the day at school, or the next day. This was probably because the school I did my GCSE's at was not very competitive. But for the Sixth form I am at now, I had to confirm on the day. That's because there was something like 300 applicants for 60 places.

TLDR; If your school is a popular one, probably on the day. If not you can take a day or two to consider.
Reply 6
Original post by vis break
It depends where you go. At my school you would confirm it either on the day at school, or the next day. This was probably because the school I did my GCSE's at was not very competitive. But for the Sixth form I am at now, I had to confirm on the day. That's because there was something like 300 applicants for 60 places.

TLDR; If your school is a popular one, probably on the day. If not you can take a day or two to consider.

My school receives over 800 applicants yearly so this is going to be a tricky one haha
Original post by Mahel
Hello all, I'm at Dartford Grammar right now which is amazing because it's the 8th best sixth form in the country right now but I also applied to 5 other sixth forms. My concern is that I won't get a conditional offer due to mock grades but my actual GCSE grades would be much better so I was wondering how the process of late applications works and how long you have to confirm an offer. As I'm at the 8th best sixth form right now, I don't want to lose out on confirming a place there but I also want to apply for other places, preferably Townley Grammar. I sat their maths test yesterday and don't think I did well however I think I'll have the grades in the summer.

Hey, I got St Catherine's and I also did the Townley Grammar maths test; boy wasn't that hard?
Reply 8
Original post by germanshepherd_
Hey, I got St Catherine's and I also did the Townley Grammar maths test; boy wasn't that hard?

Were you like middle row near the back? I saw Saint Catherine's written on a paper haha. The test was very difficult, skipped the graph stuff, and guessed like 1/3 of what I did :frown:

The week of the 9th February will be hell, I don't think I'll get the offer
Original post by STUDYREVISE
I've applied to 2 sixth forms and 2 colleges. I have been given 1 conditional offer and 1 unconditional offer by the 2 colleges. I have 2 more interviews for the sixth forms in March. only 20 from 240 applicants get in to the sixth form! About 25 are given a conditional offer and then it depends on their results.

Students have been given months to apply, so they should have already applied. if not, although it will look bad, some may offer you an interview but it depends on the college.some colleges have deadlines as to when you have to enrol and if you don't enrol on one of those 2 dates then you don't get a place. Normally its results day and the day after results day. I'll probably go after collecting my GCSE results so its all out of the way.

I didn't know colleges gave unconditional offers... how did you get it?
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mahel
Were you like middle row near the back? I saw Saint Catherine's written on a paper haha. The test was very difficult, skipped the graph stuff, and guessed like 1/3 of what I did :frown:

The week of the 9th February will be hell, I don't think I'll get the offer

Innit, lol. Don't worry we will get an offer, besides I have because 3 of my sisters go there (1 is at uni now though) and no, I think you saw my friends. I was at the front, 3 row, err like front-middle? What about you??
Reply 12
Innit, lol. Don't worry we will get an offer, besides I have because 3 of my sisters go there (1 is at uni now though) and no, I think you saw my friends. I was at the front, 3 row, err like front-middle? What about you??

Near the front in the middle, K section :smile:

I highly doubt I'll get the conditional because my mock results were below entry requirements but my GCSE grades should be able to get me a offer on results day :biggrin:

However, I'm currently at Dartford Grammar School for Boys and it would be wiser to stay there seeing it's the 8th best sixth form in the country right now
Original post by Mahel
Near the front in the middle, K section :smile:

I highly doubt I'll get the conditional because my mock results were below entry requirements but my GCSE grades should be able to get me a offer on results day :biggrin:

However, I'm currently at Dartford Grammar School for Boys and it would be wiser to stay there seeing it's the 8th best sixth form in the country right now

Ohhh okay :smile:. I was in the E section, so we were pretty close.. and don't doubt yourself. It ain't good, nor does it do any good to yo,plus you need to remember, you Dartford Boys for goodness sake! What an awesome school it is, I prefer you boys to the silly, immature boys down the road from St Catherine's, STC boys, urgh! And like you said, it was only mocks, it ain't your really GCSEs and I know for sure (even though I don't know you as well) that you will do really well; extremely well. and staying there for sixth form? My view is biased, but IB? Isn't that a lot, but anyways if you are intelligent enough to enter DGS, then what is stopping you from doing IB, ehh? What did you options did you choose in townley?
Reply 14
Ohhh okay :smile:. I was in the E section, so we were pretty close.. and don't doubt yourself. It ain't good, nor does it do any good to yo,plus you need to remember, you Dartford Boys for goodness sake! What an awesome school it is, I prefer you boys to the silly, immature boys down the road from St Catherine's, STC boys, urgh! And like you said, it was only mocks, it ain't your really GCSEs and I know for sure (even though I don't know you as well) that you will do really well; extremely well. and staying there for sixth form? My view is biased, but IB? Isn't that a lot, but anyways if you are intelligent enough to enter DGS, then what is stopping you from doing IB, ehh? What did you options did you choose in townley?

Aw thank you :smile:

DGS is quite awesome but basically, I want to get into Townley because you can do computer science at A Level and that's so much better than picking the IB for Computer Science as you'd then have to do 6 subjects with one of them being a language (we currently do two languages at DGS for GCSE and it's hell). DGS is my second option seeing it's such a great school but I'd prefer to do A Level if I can. Also, I read Townley's prospectus and it shows how you can get many free periods which would be great for both chilling a bit and studying privately. This video made me fall in love with the school https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_pWwP3am3w&spfreload=10 For Townley, I picked:

Maths
Physics
Computer Science
ICT Applied
Ohhh my dayss! I spent like 10 minutes watching it, because I had to call my sisters to come and watch their school in action. Now I know why you want to go to Townley and yh, it is amazing, especially their teachers, facilities and students :smile: Fair enough, and I support your decision - purely because you are also taking A-Levels, and wow, I have chosen similar options to you. I chose:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
History
What are you planning to study at uni?
Reply 16
Ohhh my dayss! I spent like 10 minutes watching it, because I had to call my sisters to come and watch their school in action. Now I know why you want to go to Townley and yh, it is amazing, especially their teachers, facilities and students :smile: Fair enough, and I support your decision - purely because you are also taking A-Levels, and wow, I have chosen similar options to you. I chose:
Maths
Physics
Chemistry
History
What are you planning to study at uni?

Computer Science but it all depends on how I do in my maths GCSE. If I can't get onto doing maths in sixth form then that career path is basically non existent.
Original post by Mahel
Computer Science but it all depends on how I do in my maths GCSE. If I can't get onto doing maths in sixth form then that career path is basically non existent.

Lol and don't say that. You will get in! Did you apply to other schools? I expected loads of you guys to apply to St.Olaves in Orpington - I did.:smile:
Reply 18
Lol and don't say that. You will get in! Did you apply to other schools? I expected loads of you guys to apply to St.Olaves in Orpington - I did.:smile:

1. Townley Grammar
2. Dartford Grammar School for Boys
3. Dartford Grammar School for Girls
4. Bexley Grammar School
5. Beths Grammar School
6. Wilmington Grammar (WG6)

I would've applied for Saint Olaves but they require you to sit an entrance test for every single A Level option that you'd like to take and their options aren't that great so I decided to opt out.
Original post by Mahel
1. Townley Grammar
2. Dartford Grammar School for Boys
3. Dartford Grammar School for Girls
4. Bexley Grammar School
5. Beths Grammar School
6. Wilmington Grammar (WG6)

I would've applied for Saint Olaves but they require you to sit an entrance test for every single A Level option that you'd like to take and their options aren't that great so I decided to opt out.

Fair enough, I understand why you opted out and looking back now, I wish I did, but hey ho, I will get in that school because it si the most convenient one for me. Its opening evening was amazing - excellent! And I applied to all the same schools as you except for, WG6, and both Dartford schools. What are you predicted?

Latest