The Student Room Group

I'm extremely unhappy at uni and hate my course. Can i still drop out?

Its the start of 2nd term and i really, really want to leave. I'm starting to get ill from all the stress and just really unhappy in general. Will dropping out now cause problems? I have found a course i will be much happier with and relates to my now chosen career more

Scroll to see replies

m8, you've made 897383892732379832 of these threads. If you're unhappy drop out and reapply, especially as you've got a plan of what you want to do. You can drop out now yes, I did on Thursday too. The only implications are financial ones.
Reply 2
Original post by BOB2014
Its the start of 2nd term and i really, really want to leave. I'm starting to get ill from all the stress and just really unhappy in general. Will dropping out now cause problems? I have found a course i will be much happier with and relates to my now chosen career more

Depends what sort of problems you can deal with. How are your finances? Dropping out during a year (rather than waiting until it finishes) can be an expensive option.

You can drop out whenever you want. Just talk to your uni and tell them. Then when it's confirmed, tell Student Finance. They will ask you to repay any Maintenance Grant for this academic year in full immediately, although they will usually agree a repayment plan. Likewise you will be expected to immediately return any of this term's Maintenance Loan apart from the amount calculated to cover you between the payment date and the date you drop out. You will probably find that you have to pay rent on your uni halls right up to the end of the academic year, so you might want to think about how you could pay that if SF want most of your money back. Most unis won't let you out of the contract or refund any payments made in advance.

To avoid demands for immediate repayment, you would need to get to the end of your first year and drop out immediately afterwards. Then your repayments would be due after uni, once you start earning above the repayment threshold.

As long as you haven't been to uni before, you will still have enough SF entitlement left to do a new degree from scratch.
Original post by Klix88
Depends what sort of problems you can deal with. How are your finances? Dropping out during a year (rather than waiting until it finishes) can be an expensive option.

You can drop out whenever you want. Just talk to your uni and tell them. Then when it's confirmed, tell Student Finance. They will ask you to repay any Maintenance Grant for this academic year in full immediately, although they will usually agree a repayment plan. Likewise you will be expected to immediately return any of this term's Maintenance Loan apart from the amount calculated to cover you between the payment date and the date you drop out. You will probably find that you have to pay rent on your uni halls right up to the end of the academic year, so you might want to think about how you could pay that if SF want most of your money back. Most unis won't let you out of the contract or refund any payments made in advance.

To avoid demands for immediate repayment, you would need to get to the end of your first year and drop out immediately afterwards. Then your repayments would be due after uni, once you start earning above the repayment threshold.

As long as you haven't been to uni before, you will still have enough SF entitlement left to do a new degree from scratch.

Thanks so much for this. I live at home so im not paying any rent. The thing is, I dont think i can last another week let alone the months to come. What would be the point of doing essays and going into lectures and actually doing exams if i know i wont do this course ever again?

I live with my single mum on benefirs and there is no way she'd be able to pay back everything. Is there another option in terms of finance?

Original post by somemightsay888
m8, you've made 897383892732379832 of these threads. If you're unhappy drop out and reapply, especially as you've got a plan of what you want to do. You can drop out now yes, I did on Thursday too. The only implications are financial ones.

Lol its because im absolutely HATING it :'( the stress is getting too extreme

Read my response above you. I dont think i can pay student finance back my bursary and grant as it would be almost impossible as my mum is unemployed and i dont work.
Reply 4
Original post by BOB2014
I live with my single mum on benefirs and there is no way she'd be able to pay back everything. Is there another option in terms of finance?

As I said, SF will usually agree a gradual repayment plan if you can demonstrate that you can't pay it back.

Your Mum won't be involved - the debt will be yours. If you leave, her income will become irrelevant and SF will deal only with you.
Original post by BOB2014
x

Inquire about a course switch then. If you can't do that, stick it out to the end of the year, just turn up to the odd lecture as to not get booted from the course and reapply in the meantime. That way you wouldn't be under any financial risk as the grant has been used for the year.
Original post by somemightsay888
Inquire about a course switch then. If you can't do that, stick it out to the end of the year, just turn up to the odd lecture as to not get booted from the course and reapply in the meantime. That way you wouldn't be under any financial risk as the grant has been used for the year.

How about exams and assignments in the summer?
Original post by Klix88
As I said, SF will usually agree a gradual repayment plan if you can demonstrate that you can't pay it back.

Your Mum won't be involved - the debt will be yours. If you leave, her income will become irrelevant and SF will deal only with you.

If i decide to stick it out (to avoid financial risks), what would be the point of attending lectures and doing assignments and exams? It would only be a waste of time
Original post by BOB2014
How about exams and assignments in the summer?

Turn up, get scanned in and leave if you really feel apathetic towards them. You're under no obligation to sit them, you're paying the Uni for it so they couldn't care less. But make sure you have something secured to start in September, nothing worse than doing this and then finding out you can't do a new course and you've essentially failed.
Reply 9
Original post by BOB2014

Are you in america
Reply 10
Original post by BOB2014
If i decide to stick it out (to avoid financial risks), what would be the point of attending lectures and doing assignments and exams? It would only be a waste of time

If you don't attend lectures, hand in assignments or do exams, you might be thrown off your course before the end of the year. That would cause the same immediate repayment problem as leaving during the year.
Original post by Ekemini
Are you in america

London
Original post by Klix88
If you don't attend lectures, hand in assignments or do exams, you might be thrown off your course before the end of the year. That would cause the same immediate repayment problem as leaving during the year.

Im so stressed out right now that i want to vomit :frown: i really dont know what to do now. I dont want to carry on with this course a day longer. What would you advise me?
Leave, get a job, and pay back SF yourself?
Original post by BOB2014
London

Maybe you could work for a year then go for the school and course that you want
Reply 15
Original post by BOB2014
Im so stressed out right now that i want to vomit :frown: i really dont know what to do now. I dont want to carry on with this course a day longer. What would you advise me?

I would ask to talk to someone at your uni's counselling or student support department. You really need to sort things out in your own mind and it would help you to have a clearer head. Sometimes just describing a situation out loud can help, and someone familiar with uni-based stress will be able to offer advice.
Original post by Ekemini
Maybe you could work for a year then go for the school and course that you want

The thing is that looking for a job is something i struggle with. I just cant find a job

Original post by Klix88
I would ask to talk to someone at your uni's counselling or student support department. You really need to sort things out in your own mind and it would help you to have a clearer head. Sometimes just describing a situation out loud can help, and someone familiar with uni-based stress will be able to offer advice.

Original post by BOB2014
The thing is that looking for a job is something i struggle with. I just cant find a job

I wish you well. I don't really know what advice to give you other than the fact that your situation sucks balls. I hope you find a course you can enjoy and will be able to pay for it
Original post by Ekemini
I wish you well. I don't really know what advice to give you other than the fact that your situation sucks balls. I hope you find a course you can enjoy and will be able to pay for it

Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by BOB2014

Yes. If the other course is better related to your career then go for it. The other course may be just as stressful though.
If I were you, I would wait a couple of weeks to think it through and then drop out and find a job for the rest of the academic year and then start the new course the following year. In this time you may feel that university isn't worth the effort or time. The point is you'll have time to think with a bit of cash in your pocket.
If you are in halls then you may have signed a contract which says that you have to pay for the room for the whole year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending