The Student Room Group

Should I leave sixth form?

Hi,

I have been having some problems at sixth form. I really don't know what I should do because I am hating it and just want to leave. I am taking Maths, Computer Science, Bussiness and Economics. Maths is extremely difficult, computer science is far too easy! And both Business and Economics aren't that bad. My main issue is I just don't enjoy it and I think that will lead to me failing my A Levels which seems like a waste of the next couple years.

I want to leave and my plan is to work for myself which I am already doing part time (only because school doesn't allow me spend as much time on my business). Recently I have decided that university defiantly isn't on my options list as I have taught myself a great deal by myself and I want to work for myself as I said so it wouldn't be that much more useful in the sense of chances of getting a job.

That's a bit of background on my situation. I just want to know what people think should do because I don't see the point in continuing sixth form because after sixth form I'll be doing the same thing I can do now.

By the way, I'm a Mobile App Developer.

#UPDATE# Just want to add, I wouldn't say I want an easy way out. I am looking to work extremely hard as an app developer. I already spend a lot of my free time working on my apps. Plus, before anyone does say I'm stupid and all that, I just wanna say I did quite well in my GCSEs (1x A*, 5x As, 2x Bs and 2 Cs). It's just that I don't think school is for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Go to work for a large company first... learn the trade, then set up on your own http://www.studentjob.co.uk/vacancies/6804-mobile-and-web-apps-developer-internship-in-london
Original post by mazzletazzle
Go to work for a large company first... learn the trade, then set up on your own http://www.studentjob.co.uk/vacancies/6804-mobile-and-web-apps-developer-internship-in-london

Thank you for that, I've had a look into a couple things like that, this may sound stubborn but I just can't work for someone else. I worked for my dad over summer and found it difficult working for him.
Original post by awaisah
Thank you for that, I've had a look into a couple things like that, this may sound stubborn but I just can't work for someone else. I worked for my dad over summer and found it difficult working for him.

I don't think it does sound stubborn... it may be worth it though in terms of the long term benefits and industry connections that you'll make. Imagine trying to get 5m with Google as an independent.... they could laugh in your face.... whereas working for x,y, or z - then making connections within large organisations may get your foot in the door. Alternatively, go for it... you could be the 1% that it works for.
I don't think it does sound stubborn... it may be worth it though in terms of the long term benefits and industry connections that you'll make. Imagine trying to get 5m with Google as an independent.... they could laugh in your face.... whereas working for x,y, or z - then making connections within large organisations may get your foot in the door. Alternatively, go for it... you could be the 1% that it works for.

Thats true, tbh the main issue for for me right now is should I drop out, because I'm actually getting stressed now. It's like I'm just being forced to follow the standard education system when I know it's not the only way to success.
Original post by awaisah
Thats true, tbh the main issue for for me right now is should I drop out, because I'm actually getting stressed now. It's like I'm just being forced to follow the standard education system when I know it's not the only way to success.

What do ur parents think?
You cold always do a 'deal' e.g. in 12m if not self-sufficient then you could return to a course.. that would give time to test the market and your skill/connections
You cold always do a 'deal' e.g. in 12m if not self-sufficient then you could return to a course.. that would give time to test the market and your skill/connections

I havnt told my parents yet tbh. I think they have got an idea by the fact Im always leaving school early amongst other things.

that was an option for me, as I figured I would be able to apply for college for September if I decide this really was the wrong choice for me. Would that be possible? How about not this September but next September. Even though I'd be at the age where I would have already left?
Just stick it out dude. I know plenty of people who left sixth form only to deeply regret it years later, and struggle to get hired. If you can just hold your line for the next few years, rattle through your A levels whilst simultaneously hatching a genius plan to take over the world once you're out - you'll be flying!
I've worked in the business world for many years and seen many recruitment processes be conducted. People without qualifications can still (sadly) get knocked out of the selection process ultra-fast.
A levels are a pain I know...just knuckle down and stick it out. It'll go faster than you think, and you can still work on those awesome apps. Good luck!
Original post by awaisah
I havnt told my parents yet tbh. I think they have got an idea by the fact Im always leaving school early amongst other things.

that was an option for me, as I figured I would be able to apply for college for September if I decide this really was the wrong choice for me. Would that be possible? How about not this September but next September. Even though I'd be at the age where I would have already left?

In principle ... yes. Though you might have to pay for a course when you study. It won't affect your future choices too much (unless you were planning Oxbridge etc who may be interested in the gap)
In principle ... yes. Though you might have to pay for a course when you study. It won't affect your future choices too much (unless you were planning Oxbridge etc who may be interested in the gap)

Thank you so much, you have been very much help. Lastly, if I was to leave and work for myself for the next few years would I have to take a part time college course anway? Is there anyway around this for example because it is my own company could I hire myself as an apprentice or something?
Not sure... but this website might be a good pace to start http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/it

http://www.frostmagazine.com/2013/05/famous-people-who-didnt-go-to-university/ Apple supremo Steve Jobs decided college wasn't for him either!!!

Good luck. Just don't make any rash decisions. Talk it through with college first, then parents... then remember that A Levels are short (but useful) and resittable (if necessary)
Not sure... but this website might be a good pace to start http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk/sector/it

http://www.frostmagazine.com/2013/05/famous-people-who-didnt-go-to-university/ Apple supremo Steve Jobs decided college wasn't for him either!!!

Good luck. Just don't make any rash decisions. Talk it through with college first, then parents... then remember that A Levels are short (but useful) and resittable (if necessary)

Thank you so so much! You have really helped me

Quick Reply

Latest