The Student Room Group

might take up smoking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I thought you smoked?

I'm currently in the process of quitting, when I say process, I mean I've attempted several times and failed. But I will keep trying, I've managed to cut down massively.

Which is why I tell the OP it'd be a terrible idea to take up smoking, it isn't worth it.

The quiff on the other hand, I don't have, although still think it's a terrible idea.
Original post by Birkenhead
Strong response as ever from you.

Still butthurt from when I destroyed you in the positive discrimination and feminism debate? :tongue:

:own3d:

Original post by Vikki1805
I'm currently in the process of quitting, when I say process, I mean I've attempted several times and failed. But I will keep trying, I've managed to cut down massively.

Which is why I tell the OP it'd be a terrible idea to take up smoking, it isn't worth it.

The quiff on the other hand, I don't have, although still think it's a terrible idea.

You have my support.

Here is some motivational material.

:tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Still butthurt from when I destroyed you in the positive discrimination and feminism debate? :tongue:

The thread is viewable in my stats. I have confidence that anyone who views it will definitely not come to the conclusion that you 'owned' anyone; the sheer lack of logical coherence in most of what you post is frankly embarrassing for a twenty-two-year-old graduate. Not quite as embarrassing as your haircut, but still pretty bad.
The thread is viewable in my stats. I have confidence that anyone who views it will definitely not come to the conclusion that you 'owned' anyone; the sheer lack of logical coherence in most of what you post is frankly embarrassing for a twenty-two-year-old graduate. Not quite as embarrassing as your haircut, but still pretty bad.

Can't we all just be friends?
Reply 65
One benefit is it keeps midges away. When walking in the countryside at dusk, chain smoking reduces the number of midge bites.

I also firmly believe it kept down the number of colds and other nose/throat infections. Although when I did get one (about once every 8 years), it would be a bugger and have me off work for 2 or 3 weeks.

You always have the means to light candles, sterilise needles, light a gas stove, seal the end of a fraying nylon or polyester cord about your person.

Every smoker can open any cellophane-wrapped container in under a second.

Smokers have handy receptacles around the home for putting items such as apple stalks and orange pips in. I miss having a handy ashtray to hand.

Tip your ashtray contents and dog ends into a bucket of rainwater in the garden. Water the roses with this concoction and it will keep them clear of aphids.

You can rarely smell nasty smells, they have to be very strong.

It keeps the weight down (because it is an appetite suppressant).
Original post by Precious Illusions
Can't we all just be friends?

We could have been but he made fun of my hair :frown:

He made it personal. I didn't make fun of his wig.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Simes
One benefit is it keeps midges away. When walking in the countryside at dusk, chain smoking reduces the number of midge bites.

I also firmly believe it kept down the number of colds and other nose/throat infections. Although when I did get one (about once every 8 years), it would be a bugger and have me off work for 2 or 3 weeks.

You always have the means to light candles, sterilise needles, light a gas stove, seal the end of a fraying nylon or polyester cord about your person.

Smokers have handy receptacles around the home for putting items such as apple stalks and orange pips in. I miss having a handy ashtray to hand.

Tip your ashtray contents and dog ends into a bucket of rainwater in the garden. Water the roses with this concoction and it will keep them clear of aphids.

I'm sorry but watering your garden is hardly a convincing advantage for taking up the disgusting habit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This isn't instant messenger. I am replying in my good time, be more patient.

Do you know with any certainty that his mouth and throat cancer were caused by smoking? It is very possible the mutations that led to cancer were not sparked by a cigarette. Cancer from smoking is extremely rare. I am writing a post on the pros now.

I am being patient, but are you writing the bible because it's taking an awful while to write a list of pros. However, it's probably because there aren't hardly any as there's no positive and useful advantages to smoking if I'm being honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have my support.

Here is some motivational material.

:tongue:

Much appreciated. :yep:
Reply 70
Original post by _Charlotte15
I'm sorry but watering your garden is hardly a convincing advantage for taking up the disgusting habit.
Didn't you see the rest of the list? Is that why you are sorry?

there's no positive and useful advantages to smoking if I'm being honest.
No, you didn't or no, you're not. :rolleyes:
Original post by Simes

Yes I read them all, apart from preventing colds and staying thin, how does always having a lighter on you and always being able to open cellophane pros to smoking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
T

Do you know with any certainty that his mouth and throat cancer were caused by smoking? It is very possible the mutations that led to cancer were not sparked by a cigarette. Cancer from smoking is extremely rare. I am writing a post on the pros now.

****ing lost it
Original post by bertstare
****ing lost it

I was simply making the valid point that while many illnesses are predominantlt caused by smoking, there are genetic factors at play too and some of them develop independent of smoking.
I was simply making the valid point that while many illnesses are predominantlt caused by smoking, there are genetic factors at play too and some of them develop independent of smoking.

I was commenting more on the "cancer from smoking is extremely rare" line, as well as the notion that smoking has any "pros". Let's get real now.
By all means smoke op it doesn't matter if you do despite what people will tell you on here, but don't take it up to look cool. That's a dumb reason, people don't smoke to look cool it's because they have a craving for nicotine. Don't be one of those really cringey social smoker types who think their gods gift and only beg for cigarettes rather than but their own

You've just completely contradicted what you said on your previous posts stating that most smokers don't pick up these diseases due to their habit but now your saying the illnesses they have are "predominately caused by smoking". Eating your words.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Strong response as ever from you.

I'm also still waiting for the pros list

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really am starting to get the impression that you just enjoy arguing with me, because that's all you seem to do.

I enjoy tackling positions I disagree with.

What are the health benefits then? Name them for me please

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't possibly list them all, but they include a significantly reduced risk of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases and reduced ageing of the brain generally, significantly reduced risk of breast cancer, significantly reduced risk of ulcerative colitis, while it is also an effective treatment for the symptoms of many mental health problems. About 80% of schizophrenics smoke, and it is reasonable to attribute this to smoking's positive effects on many of the cognitive, psychiatric and physical symptoms of the illness. The effects of smoking have been shown to effectively treat major depressive disorder, for another example.

More generally, cigarette smoking enhances concentration, improves memory, inhibits pain and reduces anxiety. Cigarette smoking, depending on the speed and strength of inhalation, can be both a stimulant and a relaxant. Smoking is also useful in tackling obesity, which can be infinitely more dangerous than light smoking, because it inhibits appetite.

Here are some well written and well sourced pages on some of the health benefits of smoking:

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

http://www.sott.net/article/221013-Health-Benefits-of-Smoking-Tobacco

Lung cancer. There is undeniably a much bigger risk of lung cancer with smoking but it is nowhere near as likely as is portrayed. A well sourced quote from Wikipedia:

The probabilities of death from Lung cancer before age 75 in the United Kingdom are 0.2% for men who never smoked (0.4% for women), 5.5% for male former smokers (2.6% in women) [and] 15.9% for current male smokers (9.5% for women)

In other words, I have a 1.5/10 risk of developing lung cancer if I smoke as I do for the rest of my life, while as a woman you would have a 0.95/10 risk. In my mind, considering the pleasure it gives me and the benefits touched on above, I do not believe this risk is great enough for me to abstain from it. There is an 85% chance I won't develop the disease.

The biggest scandal we've never heard about is that medical practitioners make a great deal of money from encouraging anti-smoking. Below is the link to an article by a man who has done the leg work - and he concludes that doctors make about £88m annually from being anti-smoking. The newspapers, meanwhile, make a pretty penny from enticing people into reading them by scaremongering, and politicians are mostly populist at the top and will do everything possible to conform to popular attitudes when there is no great need to resist them. All three of these actors are responsible for the vilification of smoking in the public conscience and I ask you to consider that they are all in their own respective conflicts of interests before you take their word for it. Smoking is not as great a danger as we have been led to believe, and its many benefits have been hushed up.

http://www.clivebates.com/?p=2488
(edited 9 years ago)
I enjoy tackling positions I disagree with.

I can't possibly list them all, but they include a significantly reduced risk of Parkinson's and Alzheimer's diseases and reduced ageing of the brain generally, significantly reduced risk of breast cancer, significantly reduced risk of ulcerative colitis, while it is also an effective treatment for the symptoms of many mental health problems. About 80% of schizophrenics smoke, and it is reasonable to attribute this to smoking's positive effects on many of the cognitive, psychiatric and physical symptoms of the illness. The effects of smoking have been shown to effectively treat major depressive disorder, for another example.

More generally, cigarette smoking enhances concentration, improves memory, inhibits pain and reduces anxiety. Cigarette smoking, depending on the speed and strength of inhalation, can be both a stimulant and a relaxant. Smoking is also useful in tackling obesity, which can be infinitely more dangerous than light smoking, because it inhibits appetite.

Here are some well written and well sourced pages on some of the health benefits of smoking:

http://www.forces.org/evidence/evid/therap.htm

http://www.sott.net/article/221013-Health-Benefits-of-Smoking-Tobacco

Lung cancer. There is undeniably a much bigger risk of lung cancer with smoking but it is nowhere near as likely as is portrayed. A well sourced quote from Wikipedia:

In other words, I have a 1.5/10 risk of developing lung cancer if I smoke as I do for the rest of my life, while as a woman you would have a 0.95/10 risk. In my mind, considering the pleasure it gives me and the benefits touched on above, I do not believe this risk is great enough for me to abstain from it. There is a 75% chance I won't develop the disease.

The biggest scandal we've never heard about is that medical practitioners make a great deal of money from encouraging anti-smoking. Below is the link to an article by a man who has done the leg work - and he concludes that doctors make about £88m annually from being anti-smoking. The newspapers, meanwhile, make a pretty penny from enticing people into reading them by scaremongering, and politicians are mostly populist at the top and will do everything possible to conform to popular attitudes when there is no great need to resist them. All three of these actors are responsible for the vilification of smoking in the public conscience and I ask you to consider that they are all their own respective conflicts of interests before you take their word for it. Smoking is not as great a danger as we have been led to believe, and its many benefits have been hushed up.

http://www.clivebates.com/?p=2488

So you smoke?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest