The Student Room Group

The 'white person does x so all whites should apologise' fallacy

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Borgia
For the same reason that all Germans who supported Hitler must for things that individually they didn't do. For the same reason that all the Americans who opposed abolition of slavery are responsible for it, whether they owned a slave or not.

Fine. Do you take collective responsibility for the sufferings of my ancestors, under British rule?

If not, do your grandparents, or any old people you know? Do you expect them to take collective responsibility for the actions of the British gov't?

Do you expect every one alive today, in the USA, to be collectively responsible for brutal torture done overseas?

And you talk about all Americans who opposed abolition of slavery. What about those Americans who didn't? Muslims are people too, with different opinions..

Not all Germans supported Hitler too...What about them?

BTW, please see my edit :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by SophiaLDN
Yes, exactly! When it happens to non-white people, we should "get over it" or "stop playing the race card".. until it happens to them, they cry about it.

I'm honestly not bothered about the generalisation itself as yes it does happen (wrongly) to other ethnic/racial groups. What concerns me is that it is being used to shut off debate regarding Islam
Reply 42
Original post by The_Internet
Why should individual Muslims take "collective responsibility" for stuff they didn't do?

I don't expect English people to take "collective responsibility" for the suffering of some of my ancestors, under British rule..

Besides, the thread title does say

"The 'white person does x so all whites should apologise' fallacy" so we ARE talking about apologising

Because they support an ideology that condones such acts

My ancestors suffered under British rule. None of my Grandparents were born here. And no, a British person who does not ideologically support the conquest or control of other nations is in no way responsible. If they do support it however, they cant simply say "oh well I don't actually do it myself"
Original post by Borgia

My ancestors suffered under British rule. None of my Grandparents were born here. And no, a British person who does not ideologically support the conquest or control of other nations is in no way responsible. If they do support it however, they cant simply say "oh well I don't actually do it myself"

So then why are you asking Muslims to collectively take blame, if not all Muslims support x?
Original post by Borgia
Sick of hearing this from religious apologists. White is not an ideology. White supremacist is, but that isn't subscribed to by the majority of whites.

Did anyone blame black people for Woolwich?
Does anyone blame atheist arabs for attacks by arab terrorists?

Didn't Rupert Murdoch say that all muslims should apologise for the Paris attacks?
Reply 45
Original post by Kruz
Didn't Rupert Murdoch say that all muslims should apologise for the Paris attacks?

Your point being?
Original post by Borgia
I'm honestly not bothered about the generalisation itself as yes it does happen (wrongly) to other ethnic/racial groups. What concerns me is that it is being used to shut off debate regarding Islam

Because Muslims should apologise/be held responsible for the actions of others is wrong and an incredible stretch. Just because those extremists interpret the texts in their way and decide to act upon it is only their fault and no one else. We all have free will and what someone else does is not up to me. So you can't choose your race but you can choose your religion & being blamed for what someone else did is the same as being blamed for what every white person did. You can't help that this person decided to do that just because you share something in common. We are all grouped into different things: sex, race, religion etc.

You cannot hold someone responsible for someone else's actions just because you follow the same religion or have something in common.. Race & religion are not the same but the comparisons highlight how ridiculous it is for someone to take responsibility for what another did.
Original post by Xenorebrem
I think you've missed the point.

The idea is to display how ridiculous it is to judge over a billion people solely on the actions of a few, ideology or not.

Three are many muslims liberals who keep their religion to themselves and so to say that these people are responsible for this heinous crime IS as ludicrous as the proposition that all white people are responsible for the actions of so and so.

There aren't a billion jihadists or potential jihadists, but neither are there only a few thousand. It numbers in the hundreds of millions if you count those who express some measure of support for jihadist savages. You can find Muslim countries with majority support for jihadist atrocities.
Reply 48
Because Muslims should apologise/be held responsible for the actions of others is wrong and an incredible stretch. Just because those extremists interpret the texts in their way and decide to act upon it is only their fault and no one else. We all have free will and what someone else does is not up to me. So you can't choose your race but you can choose your religion & being blamed for what someone else did is the same as being blamed for what every white person did. You can't help that this person decided to do that just because you share something in common. We are all grouped into different things: sex, race, religion etc.

You cannot hold someone responsible for someone else's actions just because you follow the same religion or have something in common.. Race & religion are not the same but the comparisons highlight how ridiculous it is for someone to take responsibility for what another did.

If your shared ideology condones what is done AND you refuse to reject outdated parts of it on the basis that it is and always will be perfect, then it isn't a stretch to say you bear some responsibility for what is done.
Original post by Borgia
Except they share an ideology, a manifesto (the quran) and often on pressing them they aren't as liberal as they claim.

No one would ever say 'not all BNP members are racist, just the ones that happen to get caught saying racist things that happen to coincide with the party manifesto'

Come back when the BNP, God preserve us, have diffused their ideology and culture across a sphere of influence from the Pyrenees to Malaya and you've given it over a thousand years to evolve.

Then you will see the same diversity as today exists in the interpretation and practice of Islam and Islamic cultural heritage, from zealotry to secularism and everything in between.

If you must compare Islam with some other "ideology", the only viable comparison is Christianity and Christendom. Which is also insanely diverse in its beliefs. Are all Europeans/Americans then complicit in Westboro Baptist Church, paedophile priests and Anders Breivik?
Original post by Borgia

Thats factually incorrect. If that is your most credible line of defence, then i am afraid you are redundant if not devoid of any validity.
Original post by Foo.mp3
Islam is touted as 'the religion of peace', yet day in, day out, all over the world the evidence seems to point to the contrary. People do heinous things in the name of all manner of causes and religions, but Jews/Christians rarely commit acts of terror contemporarily, as we would traditionally define them, on anything approaching the same scale/intensity

I don't expect Muslims to apologise, but I do expect them to accept certain worldly realities, without getting defensive/aggressive, and to feel a sense of deep regret for the crap that is committed in their name/the name of their religion. Also, if a member of my community committed an atrocity then I would think it only natural to feel a sense of shame, and a failure on the part of the community to prevent their radicalisation

If a christian did something like what the Paris attackers did,in the name of Christianity,I wouldn't apologise just because I'm a fellow christian. I would feel a certain degree of shame but everyone should be held responsible for their own mistakes.
I agree that it's very rare to see Christians or even Jews committing similar attacks but who knows what happens behind closed doors,just because we don't hear it in the media.
Originally I thought 'OMG u are a visionary OP'; then I remembered this falls under the umbrella of the ubiquitous 'generalisation fallacy' and made beans on buttered toast mmmm :u:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Please re-read what I said a little more carefully

Ditto

Please, be serious. Our media were historically geared up to support multiculturalism and have only started to air related realtalk in the past few years :rolleyes:

You remind me of my late father,political correctness at it's finest!

This!

Original post by Borgia
If your shared ideology condones what is done AND you refuse to reject outdated parts of it on the basis that it is and always will be perfect, then it isn't a stretch to say you bear some responsibility for what is done.

Both Islam and Christianity allow slavery. Slavery is now banned in most countries around the world (Including Christian and Muslim countries) I assume you also want Christians to apologise for slavery?
Original post by scrotgrot
Come back when the BNP, God preserve us, have diffused their ideology and culture across a sphere of influence from the Pyrenees to Malaya and you've given it over a thousand years to evolve.

Then you will see the same diversity as today exists in the interpretation and practice of Islam and Islamic cultural heritage, from zealotry to secularism and everything in between.

If you must compare Islam with some other "ideology", the only viable comparison is Christianity and Christendom. Which is also insanely diverse in its beliefs. Are all Europeans/Americans then complicit in Westboro Baptist Church, paedophile priests and Anders Breivik?

This. IMO, religion is about how you personally interpret it as, and if someone interprets religion in a brutal way, why should the liberals then apologise for them?
Original post by Oxocubism
it's a weird cultural meme that is part of our society now.

It's unacceptable for a white male to say something like "white women shouldn't go out with men from other groups", especially in public and in certain areas, ie cosmopolitan areas and ethnic enclaves. It's more or less socially acceptable that asians not only keep marriage within the race, but they specially import people to keep it within the tribe and family.

Basically the "all people from different races become equal" thing, didn't happen except in the law books. In terms of norms, it's very mixed and weird. It doesn't universally benefit minorities though, but the way it is in the UK is bizarre compared to most none white places.

I dont really see why you say that society thinks that it is unnacceptable for a white male or female to decide who they want to spend their lives with. Its personal choice, and as far as i am concerned and from spending time with an abundance of white friends, society does not direct ethincally white people to where and who they should consumate with.

But hey, if you have the facts to support your argument, feel free to share it with us.
Reply 57
Original post by PrincessAlexis
do people blame 'black people' and 'blacks' for crimes when one single black person does something ?

Yes.

So join the club.

Lol. Tell ha!
Original post by Borgia
Sick of hearing this from religious apologists. White is not an ideology. White supremacist is, but that isn't subscribed to by the majority of whites.

Did anyone blame black people for Woolwich?
Does anyone blame atheist arabs for attacks by arab terrorists?

In the past, a Uganda dictator evicted all indian people from his country because he believed that they were the ones causing problems in his country. They were to blame for stealing, raping, killing etc in his country.

Needless to say that after he did that all the problems to his country were still there.

Why? it wasnt the indian people who were stealing, thieves were
it wasnt the indian people who were raping, rapists were
it wasnt the indian people who were killing, murderers were

I feel like if people applied that same simple ideology racism, stereotypicalism, white suprimacy and so on wont exist. It is literally as straight-forward as that.

If you have a lot of crime in an area its not because of the black people there, its because of criminals.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PrincessAlexis
do people blame 'black people' and 'blacks' for crimes when one single black person does something ?

Yes.

So join the club.

What a brilliant post. :adore::bumps:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending