The Student Room Group

Integration question

Integrate: 16sin^4(x)cos^4(x)

I think i can integrate it. But i dont know how to start/ how to simplify the sin^4(x)cos^4(x) into something simple which i can integrate. Any help appreciated!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Nirm
Integrate: 16sin^4(x)cos^4(x)

I think i can integrate it. But i dont know how to start/ how to simplify the sin^4(x)cos^4(x) into something simple which i can integrate.

think of the identity for sin2A=2sinAcosA
Reply 2
Original post by TeeEm
think of the identity for sin2A=2sinAcosA

All i can think of is (sin2A)^4 but that doesnt seem right because the answer is meant to be 3x/8 - sin4x/8 +sin8x/64 (+C). I am going to give it a go and see if i get anywhere. Thanks for the hint :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Nirm
All i can think of is (sin2A)^4 but that doesnt seem right because the answer is meant to be 3x/8 - sin4x/8 +sin8x/64 (+C). I am going to give it a go and see if i get anywhere. Thanks for the hint :smile:

next consider sin2A =1/2 - 1/2cos(2A)
Original post by Nirm

Think you probably wanted to gothe other way and write your things in terms of cos2x instead
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
Think you probably wanted to gothe other way and write your things in terms of cos2x instead

Yeah i did i guess
Original post by TeeEm
next consider sin2A =1/2 - 1/2cos(2A)

This question is quiet long, still trying to complete it. I think i am on the right path
Reply 6
Original post by Nirm
Yeah i did i guess

This question is quiet long, still trying to complete it. I think i am on the right path

hope it works
Reply 7
Original post by TeeEm
hope it works

Thank you! :smile: (too many things to multiply out and simplify but its looking so far)

Quick Reply

Latest