The Student Room Group

Master & Postrad, views on Foundation year

Hey guys,

Need some advice. I am going to apply to Uni for this September. Have 1 a-level in English Literature.
Confused about what route I should take....
1) Do a 2 year Foundation year in Psychology. Then complete a top up to Bachelors in Psychology somewhere else., (Would give a change of scenery, might get discouraged after the same place for 4 years, oooor it could be a perk and i'd be settled. Also, I really want to travel. So maybe I could do the 2 year foundation, travel for a year, then do my top up)
2) Do a BSc with added Foundation year. (Really liking the look of Goldsmiths (willing to overlook the fact it's in Lewisham!) Would cut out a lot of stress of re applying, would be settled. I just generally love the fact they have Paranormal Psychology)

Whats the better option? For opportunities to go on to do a Masters and then Post Grad in Clinical Psychology. Would either of them hold me back?
Also, if I did do the 4 year option (BSc with an added year, all at the same place) would I be able to whack in a gap year after the foundation year stuff is done?

Dont really know how this all works, in terms of finacne either. I hear you only get student finance if your foundation year is attached to the BSc, but not if its a standalone foundation degree? (know a foundation degree (2 year) is different to a foundation cert (1 year))
Original post by LoreleiLeigh
Hey guys,

Need some advice. I am going to apply to Uni for this September. Have 1 a-level in English Literature.
Confused about what route I should take....
1) Do a 2 year Foundation year in Psychology. Then complete a top up to Bachelors in Psychology somewhere else., (Would give a change of scenery, might get discouraged after the same place for 4 years, oooor it could be a perk and i'd be settled. Also, I really want to travel. So maybe I could do the 2 year foundation, travel for a year, then do my top up)
2) Do a BSc with added Foundation year. (Really liking the look of Goldsmiths (willing to overlook the fact it's in Lewisham!) Would cut out a lot of stress of re applying, would be settled. I just generally love the fact they have Paranormal Psychology)

Whats the better option? For opportunities to go on to do a Masters and then Post Grad in Clinical Psychology. Would either of them hold me back?
Also, if I did do the 4 year option (BSc with an added year, all at the same place) would I be able to whack in a gap year after the foundation year stuff is done?

Dont really know how this all works, in terms of finacne either. I hear you only get student finance if your foundation year is attached to the BSc, but not if its a standalone foundation degree? (know a foundation degree (2 year) is different to a foundation cert (1 year))

Don't know much about foundation years. Masters degrees are generally very easy to get onto though, but they dont have any funding (although tuition fees tend to be much lower than for undergrad). All you need is a 2.i in a BPS-accredited psychology degree
Original post by LoreleiLeigh

Just wanted to say don't let Lewisham's rep put you off, I moved here in June and it is great :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest