The Student Room Group

British/European boys, would you date a Middle Eastern girl?

I'm from a (relatively) liberal Middle Eastern country, currently in my first year at uni. I was raised in a Muslim culture but I'm not religious at all and I'm usually attracted to European guys. However I feel like they back off when I tell them my home country. I'm not really into boys from my culture, but I may also come across as being reserved compared to British girls as I don't wear revealing clothes or get involved in casual hookups.

Anyway title says it all really.

Scroll to see replies

I'm guessing there would be plenty of British/European men who would be interested.

Arab Christian here.

Although I enjoy religious discourse, I would consider myself to being a Christian atheist. I'm pretty much liberal with some conservative thoughts (the importance of family, education, and having passions and sticking to such passions, etc,.). I must ask then, what's your issue with Middle Eastern men? Although I can imagine what these issues are: hypocrisy, stubbornness, a lack of respect, obsessed with bulking and never cutting, and so on. I gotta ask, what's your exact perspective on us?
Reply 2
Lol typical Middle Eastern girls pining over white guys :rolleyes:
Reply 3
Original post by Icantbebothered
I'm guessing there would be plenty of British/European men who would be interested.

Arab Christian here.

Although I enjoy religious discourse, I would consider myself to being a Christian atheist. I'm pretty much liberal with some conservative thoughts (the importance of family, education, and having passions and sticking to such passions, etc,.). I must ask then, what's your issue with Middle Eastern men? Although I can imagine what these issues are: hypocrisy, stubbornness, a lack of respect, obsessed with bulking and never cutting, and so on. I gotta ask, what's your exact perspective on us?

At first may I ask what exactly is a Christian atheist? Sounds oxymoronic to me, but it might be just my own ignorance :smile:

I wouldn't automatically turn down a guy just because he's Middle Eastern, but after living in a Muslim country for 20 years I've come to the conclusion that misogynist values are so deeply ingrained into the minds of men in those countries that even the most enlightened of them may have shocking thoughts. Simple example: a survey was conducted at the top uni of my country and roughly 70% of the respondent men had sexual intercourse before, yet they almost unanimously said they would want their wife to be a virgin.

Also, as superficial as this sounds, I find it kinda daft to look for men from my culture after travelling all the way to the UK, as I want to settle down here for good.
Original post by Anonymous
At first may I ask what exactly is a Christian atheist? Sounds oxymoronic to me, but it might be just my own ignorance :smile:

I wouldn't automatically turn down a guy just because he's Middle Eastern, but after living in a Muslim country for 20 years I've come to the conclusion that misogynist values are so deeply ingrained into the minds of men in those countries that even the most enlightened of them may have shocking thoughts. Simple example: a survey was conducted at the top uni of my country and roughly 70% of the respondent men had sexual intercourse before, yet they almost unanimously said they would want their wife to be a virgin.

Also, as superficial as this sounds, I find it kinda daft to look for men from my culture after travelling all the way to the UK, as I want to settle down here for good.

A Christian atheist is merely someone who adheres to Christian morality as proclaimed by al-Masih but does not necessarily believe in the divinity behind the said figure. Saying that, I do go back and forth between proclaiming a God and not.

What's your religious take, don't mind me asking?

I do see where you're coming from. But what I've come to realise that Arabs who live in the UK tend to be a lot more collective and sensible in regard to their opinions towards women. Also, I'm not too sure what occurs in the Arab Muslim community, but within the Arab Christian community, women tend to be ridiculously successful (my uncle was a former doctor and now a house-husband, and his wife continues to operate her own pharmacy, and this extends over the entirety of my family - and in general, the Arab Christian community in the UK). Also, there are plenty of Arab Church members who are in relationships - so much so bringing them to events (and with European/UK guys as well).

Those survey results are disgusting. My ex-gf was a Moroccan Muslim, and the only reason as to why we didn't have sex is because she was worried that her potential husband wouldn't want a "sharmota". Such derogatory opinions are not only ingrained in the mentality of these men, but they also create an unhealthy environment where sexual repression will lead on to other problems. I was watching a video on sexuality within the Middle East (I think the talker was Moroccan) and it was really interesting: it may interest you.

Regardless, there definitely is a problem that needs to be addressed. I was balancing either following my dream of surgery or deviating and becoming a psychiatrist (I only became interested after a certain placement) simply because of the dire situation back in the Middle East.

Good luck with your ventures! If you're ever interested in seeing London with another Arab (or Guy's campus, we have organs on display :biggrin:) then hit me up.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Tom_Ford

Heh.
I would so I assume plenty of other British guys would too.
Reply 7
Original post by pocahontas lol
Heh.

I believe this blame on her own guys is just a load of bull****. Way to generalise them all, it is a cop out.
Reply 8
Since you asked politely (and although it'll bore you), a Christian atheist is merely someone who adheres to Christian morality as proclaimed by al-Masih but does not necessarily believe in the divinity behind the said figure. Saying that, I do go back and forth between proclaiming a God and not...

Thanks for the detailed response :smile: As for my own religious take, I'm simply atheistic. I think people should be working for the best interests of the community just for the sake of it. Organised religions drift the focus from being a good person to something more political, but I digress.

What you said about Arabs here being more sensible may be true, but I still feel like it is more often the exception than the norm. (the term Middle Eastern also includes Persians, Kurds and Turks by the way) However I'll try to be more openminded about it as it's hypocritical for me to avoid Middle Eastern men while complaining about the same treatment from European guys.

Anyway I'm glad we're on the same page :smile: And cheers for the kind offer, but I don't live in London unfortunately.
I'm African through and through. Dont let my 7 passport identities fool you.
Thanks for the detailed response :smile: As for my own religious take, I'm simply atheistic. I think people should be working for the best interests of the community just for the sake of it. Organised religions drift the focus from being a good person to something more political, but I digress.

What you said about Arabs here being more sensible may be true, but I still feel like it is more often the exception than the norm. (the term Middle Eastern also includes Persians, Kurds and Turks by the way) However I'll try to be more openminded about it as it's hypocritical for me to avoid Middle Eastern men while complaining about the same treatment from European guys.

Anyway I'm glad we're on the same page :smile: And cheers for the kind offer, but I don't live in London unfortunately.

You make good points, and you're not digressing. I think religion is a lot more nuanced than most people give it credit. Take for instance Shia/Sunni Sufism, and the esoteric narrative it employs in order to reduce Islam's inherent political ambitions (this applies particularly to Sunnism more-so than Shiaism). Personally, I think what religion does provide is a platform to set a certain standard. And this is why I feel as though the way Christianity deals with this issue is why I still consider myself to being a Christian. The standard is to become like God (theosis, cf. Matthew [5:43-48]), and you're excepted to adhere to complete selflessness for the sake of others. It's about stripping away your human nature - where man can fault, and man can desire awful things for others - and clothing yourself with a flesh that is exclusively about love and the other. And when I mean love, I don't mean it in the hippy superficial way, but as harsh as love can get (1 Corinthians 13) - being patient with those who are angry, those who ridicule you, and loving those who hate you. Damn, sorry. I get carried away.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're a Turkish/Iraqi Kurd?
(edited 9 years ago)
You make good points, and you're not digressing. I think religion is a lot more nuanced than most people give it credit. Take for instance Shia/Sunni Sufism, and the esoteric narrative it employs in order to reduce it from Islam's inherent political ambitions (this applies particularly to Sunnism more-so than Shiaism). Personally, I think what religion does provide is a platform to set a certain standard. And this is why I feel as though the way Christianity deals with this issue is why I still consider myself to being a Christian. The standard is to become like God (theosis, cf. Matthew [5:43-48]), and you're excepted to adhere to complete selflessness for the sake of others. It's about stripping away your human nature - where man can fault, and man can desire awful things for others - and clothing yourself with a flesh that is exclusively about love and the other. And when I mean love, I don't mean it in the hippy superficial way, but as harsh as love can get (1 Corinthians 13) - being patient with those who are angry, those who ridicule you, and loving those who hate you. Damn, sorry. I get carried away.

I'm gonna go ahead and guess you're a Turkish/Iraqi Kurd?

I'll PM you to continue this intense conversation; just don't want to drive section mods mad :biggrin:
I'll PM you to continue this intense conversation; just don't want to drive section mods mad :biggrin:

Sorry for going off-topic! And sure, that'll be cool. :tongue:
I'm from a (relatively) liberal Middle Eastern country, currently in my first year at uni. I was raised in a Muslim culture but I'm not religious at all and I'm usually attracted to European guys. However I feel like they back off when I tell them my home country. I'm not really into boys from my culture, but I may also come across as being reserved compared to British girls as I don't wear revealing clothes or get involved in casual hookups.

Anyway title says it all really.

why do you just date a middle eastern man?
Original post by matthewduncan
why do you just date a middle eastern man?

What do you mean?
I'd date a Middle Eastern girl, not really a big deal for me.
I'd sleep with one provided they're hot, but depends because relationship wise, I'm not religious at all
What do you mean?

i meant why dont you just date a middle eastern man.
Surely your cultures would be the same,like the same music,food etc
Original post by Tom_Ford

:lol:
Only into white guys, huh? So sad...

Latest

Trending

Trending